cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer vs Tow Vehicle Weight...would I be OK?

boonie
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I are looking for a new trailer with a bigger bedroom and I wanted to see what everyone's opinion on this combination was as, like most, the whole weight game kinda confuses me somewhat.

I have a 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie HD with the 6.7 HO Cummins. It is a SRW short box, 4X4. I am 98% sure a 3:73 rear end but can't find a sticker anywhere on the truck to confirm that and I am running Transforce E rated tires.

As for the engine, I have completed the full EGR and DPF deletes, am running a 4" Flow Pro turbo back exhaust and have a custom MAP from Double R Diesel.

Proposed Trailer....

2015 Solitude Grande Design Fifth Wheel...GVWR 16,000, UVW 13,200, Hitch Weight 2,640. Trailer is 12'11" high and 40' 10" long

Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4X4 Long Box 5.7 Hemi
2003 Coachmen Cascade 26RBS with a 14' Single Slide

The only practical use for that pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should not have dropped in the first place.
11 REPLIES 11

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
He will opviesly also only drive said truck wher this is the case and not wher it is not so.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
boonie wrote:

Thanks for assuming that however, it's not at all that I "don't care about rules". Where I live, there are no "rules" around deleting your truck nor do we have any type of emissions testing so why would I keep choking my engine for no reason? The decision to delete came when my DPF was full. I was told it would be 5500 to replace it and that would occur every three to four years or I could pay 4200 to get rid of it forever.....best decision I ever made, its a totally new truck now!!!!! Unless it is still under warranty, you are hard pressed to find a "non-deleted" truck here.

I am confused, why does Canada have all the junk to start with on vehicles sold there if it is not required. Seems that they could have done all your citizens a big favor and had trucks built of Canada done without smog stuff.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

boonie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all the replies, I suspected the trailer was near the top end for weight but was not sure just how close. In the end, I am just not interested in being that close to the limit for a multitude of reasons, safety being one of them!!! I am sure there are lighter bunkhouse trailers with walk around beds out there.....I will just have to find the make and model. Besides, we currently have a 2 year old trailer we've owned since new that, with the exception we would like more room in the bedroom, works for us. It is also significantly lighter (half the weight) to the point I dont even know it's there while towing.....outside the fact that it's 37 feet long.

What would you suggest would be a comfortable max weight limit? Basically, I don't want the truck to struggle when towing....I really hate it when it slows down and needs a lower gear got a light to moderate hill.

Me Again wrote:
As Russ is saying your 17" rear tires are an issue. So given that you do not care about rules and deleted your truck

Thanks for assuming that however, it's not at all that I "don't care about rules". Where I live, there are no "rules" around deleting your truck nor do we have any type of emissions testing so why would I keep choking my engine for no reason? The decision to delete came when my DPF was full. I was told it would be 5500 to replace it and that would occur every three to four years or I could pay 4200 to get rid of it forever.....best decision I ever made, its a totally new truck now!!!!! Unless it is still under warranty, you are hard pressed to find a "non-deleted" truck here.
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4X4 Long Box 5.7 Hemi
2003 Coachmen Cascade 26RBS with a 14' Single Slide

The only practical use for that pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should not have dropped in the first place.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
What size E rated tires. 265/70-17E are only rated to 3,195 each, giving max axle at 6,390# Likely 6,200#.

As Russ is saying your 17" rear tires are an issue. So given that you do not care about rules and deleted your truck, I say find a set of 18" or 20" take off wheels and tires from a new RAM. Those tires are rated at 3640 each.

You are starting with a trailer that has a 20 percent pin weight. So loaded expect at least 3200+ for pin weight.

What hitch are you going to used. Sliders are heavy. I have 270 pounds for Demco picture frame and B&W manual slider. Heavily loaded for trip to Arizona last fall, I had 3750 on may rear axle ready to tow. The new RAM 18 and 20" wheels are rated to 3500 pounds from what I have heard and my RGAWR is 7K. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Hideout17
Explorer
Explorer
According to the weight police here every trailer needs a 3500 or 4500 dudally.I took a look on google for your truck and you will be close to your limits but doable Imho. Is a dally gonna do it better....check your door stickers and go from there. From what I looked up I would hook up and go.....

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Ram 2500 with CTD. My fiver has a 14K GVWR but my actual loaded weight (per CAT scales) is about 12,700# (unloaded 10,600#). I am well under the trucks RAWR. You are asking about a fiver with an unloaded weight of over 13K. Add 2K for hitch and stuff and you are over 15K loaded even fairly lightly loaded.

I would NOT do it. Too much weight for your truck IMHO. Good luck.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will see people doingq it. I wouldnt. BT,DT andmits no fun towing overloaded.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Do a RPO search using the VIN. It will list as built options.

It will give things like the following and more.
engine
different ratio
axle
trany
etc.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
WAY too much for a SRW. Your pin will EASILY be 3,200# and most likely more.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
What size E rated tires. 265/70-17E are only rated to 3,195 each, giving max axle at 6,390# Likely 6,200#.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wet pin weight in that trailer will be closer to 3000# (+) when loaded up for camping

Look at the Door Sticker for 'Cargo Carry' weight ----not to exceed

Subtract your weight, all passengers weight, fuel, ALL stuff inside cab and ALL/ANY stuff in bed of truck (hitch,tool box,etc etc)

After subtracting those......got 3000# (+) left to carry the wet pin weight

NOPE.........too much trailer for that year SRW. Now if it was 2013 or newer it would work but your 2012 will be overweight....above ratings (Think yours only has 3200# Cargo Carrying MAX-----which goes down depending on trim level)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31