cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck is Higher than Trailer

jdart
Explorer
Explorer
My truck bumper is high so when pulling my trailer it feels like the trailer is lunging up and down, Making a unsmooth pull/ I have a 2007 Big Horn 5.9 turbo diesel 2500. The trailer is a 2006 Puma 28ft. Reg. hitch with it in the lowest drop it will go. If I use the weight dist. it is worse, cause it raises the trailer more. any help please.
Jimmy, Deena & Gene
19 REPLIES 19

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
avoidcrowds wrote:
DJ, how do you know what my experience is, just from looking at my current setup?

I do not know your experience. Then again you do not know how my truck is set up and how safe/unsafe it is.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
jdart wrote:
My truck bumper is high so when pulling my trailer it feels like the trailer is lunging up and down, Making a unsmooth pull/ I have a 2007 Big Horn 5.9 turbo diesel 2500. The trailer is a 2006 Puma 28ft. Reg. hitch with it in the lowest drop it will go. If I use the weight dist. it is worse, cause it raises the trailer more. any help please.

Is the trailer level when hitched? The purpose of the drop hitch is to get the trailer level.

The description of "unsmooth" and "lunging" could be attributable to many things.

If the trailer is level, did you follow the manual and go through the correct hitch setup?

What he said......
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
avoidcrowds wrote:
DJ, how do you know what my experience is, just from looking at my current setup?

There is no point in discussing anything with those that don't care about their vehicles being roadworthy. Safety on the public highways should be taken seriously, but there is a percentage that put their egos first.

What you seen one hack of a lifted truck and there all that way right.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
avoidcrowds wrote:

There is no point in discussing anything with those that don't care about their vehicles being roadworthy. Safety on the public highways should be taken seriously, but there is a percentage that put their egos first.

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
avoidcrowds wrote:
"Lynnmor wrote:

One more thing, if you have a lift kit on the truck just park it.

LOL "

A lifted truck has less torsional stability, and is more prone to respond to external forces; both side-to-side, and up-and-down.

If you get your WDH set to the proper height (you will have to get it low enough for the trailer to be level while towing, and the truck level when towing, which means a new/custom drawbar assembly), it should be better. With your trailer pitched up, you have less weight on the tongue than is ideal, allowing the trailer to wag the truck.

Balance in your setup is more crucial than lower trucks, so taking the time to get both level will pay big dividends. Simple physics.

Everyone has to know their limitations. You should stick with your little low rider and pop up trailer.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a buddy that pulls a 28 foot bunkhouse with a lifted Ford Bronco.

No WDH either.

No problem.

But, he doesn't go far from home or very fast.

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
"Lynnmor wrote:

LOL "

A lifted truck has less torsional stability, and is more prone to respond to external forces; both side-to-side, and up-and-down.

If you get your WDH set to the proper height (you will have to get it low enough for the trailer to be level while towing, and the truck level when towing, which means a new/custom drawbar assembly), it should be better. With your trailer pitched up, you have less weight on the tongue than is ideal, allowing the trailer to wag the truck.

Balance in your setup is more crucial than lower trucks, so taking the time to get both level will pay big dividends. Simple physics.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

Seriously. Would you like to explain that.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
trail-explorer wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

LOL

WHY?

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
jdart wrote:

Is the trailer level when hitched? The purpose of the drop hitch is to get the trailer level.

The description of "unsmooth" and "lunging" could be attributable to many things.

If the trailer is level, did you follow the manual and go through the correct hitch setup?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

LOL
Bob

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
On top of a drop hitch, It also sounds as if you don't have your WD hitch setup properly. get some weights so you know where to start!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!