cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Shopping for Fiver

JAL_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
It's been awhile since I have been on the boards. Looking to move from the current lashup ('02 Suburban 2500 LT, 8.1l / '05 Jayco Eagle 29 BHS TT) to a Fiver and Truck.

Settled on a Jayco Eagle Fiver 336FBOK

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 11,745
Dry Pin Weight (lbs) 2,215
GRVW (lbs) 13,750

Total Exterior Length 39' 8"
Exterior Travel Length (Pin box to bumper) 38' 9"

Going with a 3500 Diesel, Club Cab.

Questions:
1. Long Bed or Short (6'4")?
2. If short bed, sliding hitch -- Manual or automatic?
3. DRW or SRW?
3. Minimum Payload (The range has been 4,200 - 5,500 in my searching, only duallies so far)
4. Minimum Towing Capacity? (Range has been 23k - 30k, so I'm OK there so far)
5. Fuel Tank / In-Bed Aux Fuel. So far it's been 31 or 50 on the truck. Think I'll be OK with 50 and not have to add an In-Bed Aux Fuel.)

Regarding slider hitch - RV Dealer told me most ppl never use it. (I assume they are not backing up at sharp angles and/or have tapered front on their fiver?)

This will be the biggest (and likely last) RV as we are both now retired and plan to do extensive travelling and will be in the Rockies and other high elevations.

Thanks in advance to all your input!
JAL
2002 Burb 2500 LT, 8.1L, Autoride, 4x4
2005 Jayco Eagle 298BHS
๐Ÿ™‚Check It OutReese HP 1,200 Lb. Bars WD/Dual Cam HP Sway Control/Prodigyยฎ Brake Control

Family: Two Baby Boomers with Two Generation Y Kids -- All RV Generation

CAMPED IN:
48 REPLIES 48

JAL_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, again, everyone for the input.

Saw comments relating to cost and affordability. Understand. We are not rich but have been sacrificing for many years with budgeting, going without, working hard, and saving all we can in order to have this dream happen once I retired (8/20.) I realize trucks are not cheap now, but my life clock keeps ticking. We put together a plan and both the truck we ended up with (spoiler alert) and fiver are within our budget.

Well, today we did the go see in person. We sat in a Limited (top of the line at $88k) first -- kind of like eating Filet mignon first and then trying a burger.) Saw the Big Horn at another dealership and the interior with the upgrade packages were fine with us. Took for a test drive and loved it.

It had 99% of what we wanted so we did the deal! $20k+/- under the Limited. Picking it up later this week.

Will post picts and change my sig in the near future!

Thanks, again, everyone. Y'all are awesome!
JAL
2005 Jayco Eagle 298BHS
๐Ÿ™‚Check It OutReese HP 1,200 Lb. Bars WD/Dual Cam HP Sway Control/Prodigyยฎ Brake Control

CAMPED IN:

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
alboy wrote:
I had 3.42 in our 2015 ram Dually pulling 17500 lbs, the sweet spot is 1700 -1900 rpm towing,empty loved the 3.42 lots of power

No way in the world would 4:10's be needed for the OP's weight, especially with the Aisin , and the lower first two gears then the 68RFE that I tow with .

You and 4x4ord maybe could get off the kick of whatโ€™s โ€œneededโ€.
If we were talking strictly โ€œneedsโ€, then a small apartment with a dorm fridge and a hot plate would be all thatโ€™s โ€œneeded.โ€
But the OP, along with most of the rest of us are firmly in the โ€œwantsโ€ department.
New 5ver, new diesel truck, planning for the long term, why are some trying to die on the โ€œyou donโ€™t โ€œneedโ€ itโ€ sword.
Itโ€™s true, they donโ€™t โ€œneedโ€ that deep of gears to pull what theyโ€™re proposing, capably, anywhere, with that model truck, but maybe some โ€œwantโ€ the extra power if theyโ€™re already dropping 6 figures on their future mobile living setup.

Grit, by choosing 4.10 gears over 3.73 you are saying, โ€œI donโ€™t โ€œneedโ€ a 2.35 final drive (3.73 x .63); I can get by with 2.58 (4.10 x .63).โ€ And I would agree you can get by with 4.10 gears but, I think youโ€™re dreaming if you think 4.10s are going to provide you with a noticeably better towing experience when towing a 16000 lb rv when you have a 420 hp /1075 lbft torque engine under the hood. If, however, you get by with the 3.73 gears you will appreciate an improvement in fuel economy every time you fill up.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
JAL_Camper wrote:
Thanks, everyone, for the replies.

Sorry for the 3.42 error in gears. It's the 3.73 that comes standard. My bad.

Thinking I'm going with the HO motor/Aisin Tranny and 3.73 gears.

If we were to load up the truck and fiver to their respective payloads/cargo carrying limits, we'd be at 25k GCW, well under the 33+k GCWR listed for the combo.

Again, thanks!

Good call on the AISIN but you should reconsider the 4.10'a as I guarantee you will buy a larger RV in the near future! My 5er's, 25' , 28' , 32.5', 38' and 41'.

If you are thinking economy I really bought it will be much if you consider towing and solo overall.

Don't forget the Factory Rear Air!!! OH, along with the towing prep.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"What are you expecting an 8 speed transmission to do that the 6 speed Aisin doesnโ€™t do already?"

Sounds good but If anyone would wish they had one it should be me towing 34k and more West Coast. The little difference between gears is so minimal already, NO THANKS.

LOVE my 6 speed AISIN.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
JAL_Camper wrote:

If we were to load up the truck and fiver to their respective payloads/cargo carrying limits, we'd be at 25k GCW, well under the 33+k GCWR listed for the combo.

Again, thanks!

Sounds like a good choice to me, looking forward to a picture or two of the combo. Good luck .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
alboy wrote:
I had 3.42 in our 2015 ram Dually pulling 17500 lbs, the sweet spot is 1700 -1900 rpm towing,empty loved the 3.42 lots of power

No way in the world would 4:10's be needed for the OP's weight, especially with the Aisin , and the lower first two gears then the 68RFE that I tow with .

If we were talking strictly โ€œneedsโ€, then a small apartment with a dorm fridge and a hot plate would be all thatโ€™s โ€œneeded.โ€
But the OP, along with most of the rest of us are firmly in the โ€œwantsโ€ department.
New 5ver, new diesel truck, planning for the long term, why are some trying to die on the โ€œyou donโ€™t โ€œneedโ€ itโ€ sword.
Itโ€™s true, they donโ€™t โ€œneedโ€ that deep of gears to pull what theyโ€™re proposing, capably, anywhere, with that model truck, but maybe some โ€œwantโ€ the extra power if theyโ€™re already dropping 6 figures on their future mobile living setup.

Still boils down to what the OP wants, and I agreed . Although Cummins12V98 had a good point on the difference between 3:73, and 4:10. Its unfortunate that 3:42 is not offered . It would be my choice every time, along with the Aisin.

If were a Ford, then I would go with the 3:31, although it does appear depending on tire size whether its 3:31 or 3:55. Not everyone Dog wants to do wheel stands from a stoplight.

But we can put this to bed ,the OP wants the 3:73, his choice.

I do find your comment interesting on the extra two gears needed for the Aisin. Thats quite a crystal ball you have. But I would guess from a marketing standpoint Ram will have to follow suit regardless of the "NEED" for those extra two gears, not four but just the two ???

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
God bless all the people buying new vehicles in this market. Proves either thereโ€™s alot of wealthy folks out there or, again, those that are prioritizing their โ€œwantsโ€ even though those wants will be a bit more costly.
Subjectively, In the same situation, Iโ€™d try to find the most economical tow rig I could for the short term and wait til the market calms down and prices likely normalize, or better.

Went to the Chebby dealer yesterday to get me complimentary first oil change and their lot was less than 50% full. Had vehicles parked like every other spot, staged out to look โ€œfullโ€. A year ago, all spots full and all driving lanes had vehicles parked nut to butt as well. And average test drive would have required them moving at least a half dozen vehicles just to get to the right one.
Objectively, from both a performance and resale standpoint, I wouldnโ€™t buy a new Ram until the trans gets 2 more cogs in it.
All this said because the Op is admittedly budget conscious based on the Big horn vs Laramie cost statement.

What are you expecting an 8 speed transmission to do that the 6 speed Aisin doesnโ€™t do already?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
^^^ nice! My 12 does very well towing 15k with 3.73/68rfe. I tow fast so the 3.73 are great and the trans is doing quite well but the deep first of the Aisin would be nice, but not a must.
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I had a short bed duramax 2500 to pull my 14,000 lb Everest 5th wheel and it worked great except I was over the trucks payload. I got a 3500 dually to pull my 19,000 lb toyhauler and the dually is much better. Dually is more stable in the wind and the long bed allows me a 91 gallon fuel tank in the bed (900 towing miles until empty).
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

JAL_Camper
Explorer
Explorer

Again, thanks!
JAL
2005 Jayco Eagle 298BHS

CAMPED IN:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
God bless all the people buying new vehicles in this market. Proves either thereโ€™s alot of wealthy folks out there or, again, those that are prioritizing their โ€œwantsโ€ even though those wants will be a bit more costly.
Subjectively, In the same situation, Iโ€™d try to find the most economical tow rig I could for the short term and wait til the market calms down and prices likely normalize, or better.

Went to the Chebby dealer yesterday to get me complimentary first oil change and their lot was less than 50% full. Had vehicles parked like every other spot, staged out to look โ€œfullโ€. A year ago, all spots full and all driving lanes had vehicles parked nut to butt as well. And average test drive would have required them moving at least a half dozen vehicles just to get to the right one.
Objectively, from both a performance and resale standpoint, I wouldnโ€™t buy a new Ram until the trans gets 2 more cogs in it.
All this said because the Op is admittedly budget conscious based on the Big horn vs Laramie cost statement.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
cummins2014 wrote:
alboy wrote:

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
To be clear knowing what "I" know towing heavier than most at 34k combined or more I would order 3.42's with AISIN if possible. The 4.10's are AWESOME but the 3.42's would net me better mileage solo. The secret weapon is the AISIN.

With the two choices now available in the DRW's 4.10 and 3.73 the choice is simple, get the 4.10's. The solo mileage between the two is won't be much.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
alboy wrote:

100% agree but no longer available.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Get the AISIN Trans, Factory Rear air Ride and 4.10's. You WILL thank me!!!

The AISIN is in many Medium Duty applications and is truly bullet proof.

Get the larger fuel tank as it WILL bring you more than $295 on future sale.

I don't think RAM offers the 3.42's any longer.

Why 4.10 gears? Youโ€™ve got 4.10 gears pulling your rig with only 865 lbft of torque and it likely works fine. With 1075 lbft of torque 3.73 would work very well for towing. At 1800 rpm the Cummins is capable of making 368 hp ..... you certainly donโ€™t need to be running at 1800 rpm while towing a 16000 lb fiver down the highway. 3.73s would put the engine at 1550 rpm at 65 mph vs 1700 rpm with 4.10 gears.

WHY??? Because the 3.42's are no longer available. 3.42's with AISIN are AWESOME with the lower starting gears and then locking in 5th at 60 turning 1,750 rpm the same as my 4,10's in 6th.

I tow a lot at 60 so 3.73's would be too low of RPM.