cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ugh, time for new tires

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
My Starcraft 241RKS has a GVWR of 7100, weighs in about 6,200 maybe 6,500 or so for long trips. I bought a local brand from Tire Discounters (not Discount Tires) that is called "Goodride" which is a Canadian brand of tire but I cannot ascertain where it is manufactured. The size is 205/75 R14 and purchased four years ago in 2012. I did this before I got a hold of these forums and read about the tire issues.

I have kept them at max pressure and covered when not in use.

The day before I left Ft. Desosto (another great trip) I did a tire check and found my right front tire with bulge in the tread. This tire was at 20 psi. I jacked up the trailer and checked all the pressures and did a spin test inspection, all remaining three looked great. I purchased a new tire from a local company and installed a Trailer King brand. This local company is in the so-called same network as Tire Discounters. They hummed and hawed about warranty and felt that me taking the tire home to the place where I bought them will get me better results.

I pulled in to a campground this evening and lo and behold the right rear has a bulge. I went to a local company (Firestone) and they sold me a Thunder brand tire. Helpfully the name is not an omen. This one is made in Thailand. The remaining tires are okay. After two of four failing on the same trip I feel that I have a short fuse on the remaining older tires.

So now I have an older set on the left and a mixed bag on the right hand side.

My usage of this trailer is once a month for a long weekend to a week for 8 months at parks within 3 hours of driving plus one trip to Florida from KY.

My question:

1. Should I get two new tires for the older ones on the left and use them for a few years then replace all at a later date?

or....

2. Keep the trailer king for a spare and buy four new ones?

3. Tire Rack sells Kumho, it appears that the same size tire is also "D" rated. The reviews reveal some users has had issues lately with them. Anybody with experience with these?

Thank you
18 REPLIES 18

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE:

I went back to the place where I bought the tires, it took them a week to figure this out but after calling the corporate office this morning the store manager worked with me very closely.

First off I bought and paid for road hazard. This and all trailer tires they sell do not have a warranty. He offered to refund the road hazard plus my offer of 20 percent off what I had spend on the purchase of the tires. I tried to get 5 years and only got 4 so he agreed.

He could not get the Carlisle HD and could not get the carlisle RH in time for my next trip. I will take some time to process this credit but should get it in a month.

I bought the Carlisle RH from another store and will do the install this weekend.

Thanks all....

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Tachdriver wrote:

What gets me is that each place has its own brand of trailer tire, none that I ever heard of like the other name brands....

thanks all
Welcome to the world of ST tires. It gets even more interesting when you notice the ever changing parade of brand names. It is not like the LT or even P tire market at all. It seems that there is a constant shell game going on.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
I thought it over, with two different new tires and the possibility of adding a third brand I think I will keep the trailer king for the spare and buy four of the same brand....Think I will look into the Carlisles.

What gets me is that each place has its own brand of trailer tire, none that I ever heard of like the other name brands....

thanks all

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Ten tire comments without the word "Chinese" mentioned once!

The tires mentioned here are good recommendations-regardless of country of origin.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Check out the New Carlisle HD-ST Radial.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
There is no D rated tire in for 14" tires that I am aware of. But you can go slightly larger with slightly more load rating, 215/75R14.
The hassle of your to date experience would drive me crazy. I would get 4 Maxxis or Carlisle HD and enjoy the next 5 years.

The Kumho 857 is a LT tire for commercial light truck, transporter, van and trailers. Only available in 14", it has an 8ply strength (actually twin steel belted with 2ply poly cords) D load range with Q(99mph)speed rating. In 205/R14 it has a max load of 2271 @ 65psi.
I just had these mounted on my rims. Got em at Belle Tire. Special order. No review on them yet. Will put 5000 miles on them this summer to the South West.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The hassle of your to date experience would drive me crazy. I would get 4 Maxxis or Carlisle HD and enjoy the next 5 years.

The Maxxis ST8008 are a bit dated with their 65 mph max speed plus not all sizes have the nylon stabilizing cap.

New gen ST tires like the Carlisle RH and just released Carlisle HD and Provider from Taskmaster with caps in all sizes and a M speed rating would be a good choice.

Just looked at the new Carlisle Radial Trail HD on their website. If the tire performs like the good looking trailer tire with 3 solid ribs in the picture then Carlisle may finally have a big winner and loose the terrible tire stigma that has followed them for years.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
That's gotta be a first.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Ten tire comments without the word "Chinese" mentioned once!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
There is no D rated tire in for 14" tires that I am aware of. But you can go slightly larger with slightly more load rating, 215/75R14.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
put them on craigs list ,theres a buyer for every thing.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
eDUBz wrote:
Just bought 4 Maxxis And went up from c to D rated. Havent put them on the road yet but we shall see how they hold up. My last set was 4 dealer knock offs and lasted 4 years without issue.

Good way to go. D gives you extra capacity and Maxxis are a reputable brand.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
replace them.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought 4 Maxxis And went up from c to D rated. Havent put them on the road yet but we shall see how they hold up. My last set was 4 dealer knock offs and lasted 4 years without issue.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker