cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to shift out of Park

azwildcat
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2019 F250 Super Duty, 4x2, 6.2 Gas, 6-Speed Trans. 5500 miles on it at the time of the problem. I started the engine and attempted to back up. The gear shift would not move out of park. The engine was running fine and the brake lights were working. Called Ford road side assistance for a tow to the dealer. Arrived at the dealer about 4:30 pm. They would look at it the next morning. Asked about a loaner--no luck. They have to diagnose the problem first. They kept the vehicle all the next day and their diagnose was a blown fuse. Unable to determine why the fuse blew. Replaced the fuse F9 (10 amp). The owners manual states that if you cannot move the gearshift out of park and the brake pedal is pressed and the brake lights are working you may have a "malfunction". Has anyone else had a similar problem or have any idea what really caused the problem. I did purchase a couple of extra fuses ($6.41 each) as a precaution if it happens again. 1500 miles later everything seems to be fine.
14 REPLIES 14

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
azdryheat wrote:
Wow, never park a new Ford where you have to back up.

If you can't get it out of park, you ain't going forward either.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a similar experience a few years back something like this one time with an older 2004 F150 Ford truck. I was parked where I need to back out. I started my truck and went to Reverse first - nothing happens. Then I went to Drive first then to Reverse then it backed out... This would happen on several occasions... Strange things haha... I was able to get out of park each time however... I never asked the Ford folks about why this would happen...

Have never had this happen on my current 2010 F150 Ford Truck...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

azwildcat
Explorer
Explorer
bguy wrote:
There should be a transmission shift interlock override. I'm sure it's outlined in the OM.

The OM does describe a procedure to allow you to move the gearshift lever from park. It is a 9 step process involving removing gearshift lever boot and moving things around inside the steering column. I didn't have the OM with me at the time and not sure it would have helped as the instructions seem somewhat complicated.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
There's 2 shift overrides on Ford.

1) is to turn the key away the lock position, but not ON. This should let you shift into neutral, where you can then turn the ignition further and start the truck.

2) there's a mechanical overide inside the steering column (below the turn signal switch) but you have to take the shroud apart to reach it.

I agree with the comment on the high mount stop light.... This is the one that triggers the interlock.

Also do you use your parking brake? If the truck rolls hard enough against the park pawl, it might not be an interlock issue, and you just need to relieve driveline pressure.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

wra
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Ford Camper. I also had a problem with getting out of Park on occasions. However, I finally realized that the steering wheel lock was the problem. The RV was on an incline, causing the steering wheel not to turn and unlock the selector lever. Forcing the steering wheel to turn and releasing its lock allowed me to get out of Park.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a problem like this on my Dodge Durango. After sitting during the week, I'd take it out for errands. I'd park and go into a store. When I came back out, I'd start it and wouldn't be able to move out of park.

After 20 minutes or so, it'd suddenly be able to move out of park and I'd go on my way. It wouldn't do it again all weekend.

The next time I'd take it out, usually 1-3 weeks later, it would do the same thing.

When I took it to the shop, they were perplexed. Finally one mechanic said it was the gear shift cable. He said it would get stuck in the steering column so the gear shift couldn't move. He moved it inside the column and I haven't had a problem since.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
On some Ford trucks, the high mount brake light has to be fully operational or it won't shift out of park and if you have a moisture short in the assembly it will pop that fuse.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:

Really helpful!
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I had a cable adjustment issue on my Dodge where I couldn’t get it to register being in Park. It made trying to start the truck a PITA until I realized it would start in Neutral. Got the cable adjusted and no more issues.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a transmission shift interlock override.

I'd question if the cable adjustment had shifted.

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
bguy wrote:
There should be a transmission shift interlock override. I'm sure it's outlined in the OM.
No - What the OM says is to check the fuse.

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing. I will let my father-in-law know that he should carry a few extra fuses just in case.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS