cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using pickup for work

sleepywheel
Explorer
Explorer
I'm contemplating selling my cube van and buying a fiberglass capsule for my 2009 2500HD CC SB. The capsule is removeable fully loaded with four HD camper jacks and basically treated just like a camper.

http://www.vankiller.com/options.htm

I normally keep my popup camper in my garage on a trolley so it would be a bit of a pain to swap the camper for the capsule and vice versa but then I don't have an extra vehicle to insure and take up space on my driveway.

Anyone else use a removeable Maranda or Spacekap capsule for work during the weekdays and swap on the camper for the camping trips? My job as a mobile mechanic means that trying to keep the truck cab clean will be an issue, especially the drivers seat belt but I can't help but think there's something else I'm missing that may be a big con to my plan.

Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.
2009 Chev CC 2500HD 6L 4x4
8 REPLIES 8

Wills6_4_Hemi
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
Then just use the trailer for the work week.
Load up the TC only when you are going camping...don't leave it on.

What do you have for a truck? TW of a utility trailer is not very much...

You are over thinking this...
its a TC

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Then just use the trailer for the work week.
Load up the TC only when you are going camping...don't leave it on.

What do you have for a truck? TW of a utility trailer is not very much...

You are over thinking this...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
I had a canopy and yes it was a real pain to swap out for the camper. I ended up with two weatherguard tool boxes: a saddle box and an in bed chest. Between the two boxes, I think there is 20 or 25 cubic feet of storage space. If you need more space than that, a canopy or capsule is the only way to go.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

sleepywheel
Explorer
Explorer
One of my fears is that I would get tired of swapping the work box and the camper around. A trailer would work but I go to several different locations a day and it would be a real pain to have to move around. That, and with the commercial vehicle laws here, the weight of the trailer, camper, and truck would have to be added together and be under the registered GVW. Wouldn't work for me.

Probably go with electric jacks and adapt them to work on both box and camper, fab up another trolley, and finally, get myself an battery powered walkie to move the units around with. Having the driveway on a slight incline is a problem since I'm not heavy enough to stop a loaded trolley from rolling into the garage door. Ask me how I know.......

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Friend of mine-electrician-used one of these and it was pretty nice. However he had a 5er...not a TC to swap.

I think I would get tired of swapping back/forth.
A utility trailer would be easier for me to live with.
Then you could leave the TC on if you wanted...

My .02

B
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
If you get a small trailer or dolly to keep the one not in service on, it would make storing and moving we pen needed easier... Just a thought.
Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

sleepywheel
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds exactly like what I want to do. I may convert to electric jacks to save a bit of time raising and lowering the work box from truck height to almost ground level. I really like the idea of using the camper tiedowns to hold it in place, going to have to think about that.

Guess I'm going to need a lot of practice to be able to swap the work box to the camper in an hour though.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I use a metal removable work body from Fleetwest. I think they call them transferable truck bodies. It works well for me. It has 4 removable jacks. I added some brackets so I could use the same happi-jack turnbuckles the TC uses to hold it in place. I can remove the tool body and have the camper on the truck and ready to go in less than 1 hour. I think that's pretty good.