cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vehicles with trans temp readout

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
On Saturday I test drove a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was pleased when the salesman showed me that the dash display could show transmission temperature as well as each tire's pressure. After seeing my trans temp warning light come on several times on my recent trip to & from Yosemite, I could really appreciate how nice the actual temp readout would be to have.

My question: what other tow vehicles (particularly SUVs) are you aware of that incorporate this feature? Any Ford/Chevy/other products? Or is it just on Chrysler stuff?

I realize that a Scangauge or Ultragauge could give this reading, but I'm wondering what vehicles are now able to show the info all on their own. (I tried an Ultragauge... it got stolen... but before that, it was annoying because it could not be left in place above the dash in summer sun, it would overheat. Plus, the unit would not read tranny temp at all on my Toyota.)
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point
26 REPLIES 26

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Any Ford vehicle has it. Usually hidden in the odometer menus only accessible if you know how.
The F series have a needle gauge, some have a readout.

Trans temp light on is very bad. The joke used to be that by the time the light is on, you should be driving to the trans shop. Newer transmissions and fluids are more tolerant, however.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
tluxon wrote:
60 degrees over ambient? Ha - maybe towing a pop-up on flat ground...

Our 2002 Burb has an instrument panel gauge for transmission temperature, but I use a scangauge which is considerably more responsive and accurate. On an 85°F day and towing our 8500-9000 pound TT on flat ground at average highway speeds, we'll see transmission fluid temps of about 160°F. On a long hard climb it's not uncommon to see the tranny temp get up to 220°F for short periods. Since that's about as high as I want to see it, it's extremely helpful to see just how long it's up there and how quickly it comes back down.

I'm afraid the built-in instrument panel gauge doesn't show the true temperature until damage would already have been done. I'd recommend something like the ScanGauge for anyone who's really serious about protecting their transmission.

Towing a 13K fifth wheel in 90-100 degree's. Highest I see is 185-190 on long mountain grades, 220 would trouble me.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
tluxon wrote:
On a long hard climb it's not uncommon to see the tranny temp get up to 220°F for short periods. Since that's about as high as I want to see it, it's extremely helpful to see just how long it's up there and how quickly it comes back down.

WOW 22? I have never seen over 200-205 pulling a hill in 2nd gear!

Agree that the gauge is very helpful to see how long the hi temp condition lasts because that affects the life span of the fluid.

All 2500 series Suburbans and truck have a trans temp gauge, analog on earlier models, digital after 2007 I believe. Cadillac Escalades also have trans temp, and I have heard that you can get the trans temp of the 1500 Suburbans by swapping in the Escalade gauge cluster, since the info is already being monitored by the PCM.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2004 k2500 suburban has the needle gauge, and our trailblazer has digital readouts. A day doesn't go by without the Christmas light show on the trailblazer.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
It was standard on my F250, but I don't know what year it started.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Second generation Tundras and Sequoias have a needle Trans temp gauge.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

APT
Explorer
Explorer
My Suburban has a digital trans display as well as each tire pressure. Should be on all 2007+ GM full sized SUVs.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

tluxon
Explorer
Explorer
60 degrees over ambient? Ha - maybe towing a pop-up on flat ground...

Our 2002 Burb has an instrument panel gauge for transmission temperature, but I use a scangauge which is considerably more responsive and accurate. On an 85°F day and towing our 8500-9000 pound TT on flat ground at average highway speeds, we'll see transmission fluid temps of about 160°F. On a long hard climb it's not uncommon to see the tranny temp get up to 220°F for short periods. Since that's about as high as I want to see it, it's extremely helpful to see just how long it's up there and how quickly it comes back down.

I'm afraid the built-in instrument panel gauge doesn't show the true temperature until damage would already have been done. I'd recommend something like the ScanGauge for anyone who's really serious about protecting their transmission.
Tim -
wife Beverly & 2 boys who love camping

2002 K2500 Suburban 8.1L 4.10 Prodigy

2005 Sunnybrook 30FKS HP Dual Cam

Replaced 2000 Sunnybrook 26FK on 8/6/04

<>

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
The GM trucks all do this but it is less helpful than you might expect. My trans fluid reads about 60 degrees hotter than the ambient air temp. If it is 60 degrees outside the fluid will run at 110-120 degrees. When it was 113 on a trip last month the fluid temp go up to 178 degrees. I am not going to drive it any differently regardless and the same applies to the tire temps. When cold the front will be at 65 and rear at 80 PSI. When they are hot they pressure goes up 8-10 PSI but so what?

I am not going to do anything differently in my vehicle checkout routine or maintenance or driving as a result of having this information. If the tire pressure seems low I am going to check it with a hand gauge which is no different than if I looked at the tire and it looked a little low.

Trucks are the most profitable vehicles sold by the manufacturers so they keep adding gadgets to justify their very high prices.

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Chev Silverado 1500 can display trans temp on info screen.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

Marsland
Explorer
Explorer
My 2012 F150 Lariat does, needle gauge and digital readout on info screen. Don't know if that's standard or part of the trailer towing pkg.
1 (Re)tired DH
1 Terrific DW
2012 Keystone Bullet 284RLS
2012 Ford F150 S/Crew ECOBoost
ScanGaugeII

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a needle gauge that shows trans temp in my truck....
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission