cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washing tent ends

minn_camping_fa
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone ever wash the exterior of their tent ends?

Ours are dirty, but I've been hesitant to wash them, afraid it will strip the weather-proofing off or do some other kind of damage.

I searched the forum but could find no posts about it. Thanks in advance.
14 REPLIES 14

minn_camping_fa
Explorer
Explorer
NoEcho wrote:
scottew71 wrote:
I use Mr. Clean magic erasers on my Roo. They work great and you need minimal water. Easy to store in side the camper and very versital.

Does this remove the gloss? I was once told that the "Magic" in the erasers is that it is essentially fine grit sandpaper. I was reserved about using them as I feared the gloss paint would have "dull" spots.

Let us know!

Thanks

I can't speak for RV's but I've used them around the house and have noticed that they do remove a layer of whatever you're rubbing... ie on the wall it did remove some paint, on painted furniture it removed paint, etc. I use them very sparingly when nothing else will work. I don't know that I'd want to try them on my awning or other areas of the camper. Just my .02 cents.

LEMII
Explorer
Explorer
Tried them on the tent end spots with no success.
Me
My lovely and gracious wife
Maggie, our Yellow Lab
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 23B
2008 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited AWD

NoEcho
Explorer
Explorer
scottew71 wrote:
I use Mr. Clean magic erasers on my Roo. They work great and you need minimal water. Easy to store in side the camper and very versital.

Does this remove the gloss? I was once told that the "Magic" in the erasers is that it is essentially fine grit sandpaper. I was reserved about using them as I feared the gloss paint would have "dull" spots.

Let us know!

Thanks

scottew71
Explorer
Explorer
Scott, Betty,Natalie(DD). Rachel (dog). 2016 Aerolite 292 DBHS 2012 F-150 Super Crew Ecoboost Max Tow

Handyman_Xenabl
Explorer
Explorer
Our HTT has vinyl roof and end on the tent ends, but canvas on the sides.
We wash the vinyl parts with the same vinyl cleaner as our awning and roof. The canvas sides we clean with Ivory dishsoap and water in a very dilute solution with a clean rag. We soak up as much of the water after rinsing as we can, then leave the ends open until they are thoroughly dry.

Cheers,
xena

minn_camping_fa
Explorer
Explorer
LEMII wrote:
Just washed the tent ends on our Jayco 23B; used bleach water (50/50 mix) with a little Simple Green mixed in. Sprayed it on with a garden sprayer and let is sit for a couple of minutes, then scrubbed it with a medium brush with carwash soap. The only thing is that I seem to have several small rust-colored spots on the rear tent end and on the awning. I see them clearly from inside the tent end and underside of the awning, but I don't see them on the exterior of the tent end or the top side of the awning. I've tried bleach and I've tried Magic Erasers and I've tried mildew remover separately with no success...anyone see anything like this?

We have some of that on our awning, haven't had any success either.

LEMII
Explorer
Explorer
Just washed the tent ends on our Jayco 23B; used bleach water (50/50 mix) with a little Simple Green mixed in. Sprayed it on with a garden sprayer and let is sit for a couple of minutes, then scrubbed it with a medium brush with carwash soap. The only thing is that I seem to have several small rust-colored spots on the rear tent end and on the awning. I see them clearly from inside the tent end and underside of the awning, but I don't see them on the exterior of the tent end or the top side of the awning. I've tried bleach and I've tried Magic Erasers and I've tried mildew remover separately with no success...anyone see anything like this?
Me
My lovely and gracious wife
Maggie, our Yellow Lab
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 23B
2008 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited AWD

32vld
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our coleman pop up in 1996 the dealer said wash the vinyl roof with soap but do no use anything on the canvas sides.

It will eventually remove the water proofing. So after every camping trip I would zip the end windows closed. Then just blast the sides clean with the hose. It has kept the sides looking nice all these years.

minn_camping_fa
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies... I use dawn to wash the awning so I will try that on the tent ends. They really are yucky. Then if that doesn't work maybe try something stronger. I just didn't know if I was going to mess something up which is why I posted ๐Ÿ™‚

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
I wash the entire exterior with pine-sol and yet to have a problem. Does a really great job on the awning as well.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
There is no special โ€waterproofingโ€ to wash off.
it's just vinylized canvas. When has vinyl ever needed waterproofing?
Some choose to use a protectant, like Aerospace 303, which could be washed and need reapplying.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

galexander
Explorer
Explorer
All I ever have used is Dawn dish soap and warm water and the bunk ends come clean. I also use Dawn and warm water when I clean the camper roof with a scrub brush. As a side note, a little bit of Dawn in your Gray tank tank will help clean grime off the side walls and give it a nice smell.
2017 Chevy Colorado ZR1 3.6L 4X4 Crew Cab
2021 Coachmen Apex Nano 191 RBS Off Grid
Tekonsha Brake Controller

tractorboy30
Explorer
Explorer
Any of the new trailers will be Vinal and they make products for washing the tent ends. I buy mine at are RV store in town here for mine. I wash mine all the time as i like everything to be clean LOL any how just go to an rv store and they will have a few brands of cleaners made for your tent ends
Frank
Frank

WrongWayRandall
Explorer
Explorer
Are they canvas or some other material (or can you tell)? If they are canvas there may be no coatings at all as canvas is self-waterproofing - it expands when wet and unless you contact it water will not get through. I've camped in many an old canvas tent, and the tent in the roof of my class B is made of canvas with no coatings. To clean it I simply use soap and water and a washcloth - nothing stronger - and it comes clean every time.

If it's made of sunbrella fabric (or similar) you can read a bit on care and maintenance here (http://www.sunbrella.com/en/how/cleaning/)

- R
1975 Westfalia Campmobile "Backroads Wanderer"
2014 Rockwood A122 hard side popup