cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WDH Bar Size

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of getting a new trailer and WDH. How do I know what size/weight spring bars to get?? Is it the same as the hitch weight, meaning - if I have 750 pounds of hitch weight do I get 750lb bars? Is there a formula or chart or something else?
8 REPLIES 8

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
As others have mentioned, advertised hitch weight is rarely close to what your real weight is. It actually goes up, before it gets off the dealers lot.

Also, keep in mind, hitch weight is NOT a constant number. It goes up and down during every trip, and it can be significantly impacted by the location of the holding tanks. Holding tanks that are located behind the trailer axles, will take weight off the hitch, and tanks located in front of the axles will add hitch weight.

My trailer has the fresh tank in the rear, black / grey tanks directly over the axles, and a galley tank up front. During any given trip, my hitch weight can be anywhere between 975 and 1225 lbs. The advertised hitch weight was 880 lbs.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
The bars are rated for how much weight they can transfer.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
but a four point hitch and be done with it.

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
WayneAt63044 wrote:
All the replies are right on. Use 13-15% of GVWR for the hitch weight. I had some that were too light as sold to me by the dealer (probably based on dry weight)and subsequently upgraded to heavier bars.

Agree. Research โ€œloaded tongue weightโ€. Then think realistically how much cargo/people weight youโ€™ll have in the TV and thatโ€™ll help determine youโ€™re needed load ratings.
The Equalizer website has an interactive tool thatโ€™ll help you determine needed hitch/bar ratings.
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
All the replies are right on. Use 13-15% of GVWR for the hitch weight. I had some that were too light as sold to me by the dealer (probably based on dry weight)and subsequently upgraded to heavier bars.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Your actual hitch weight when loaded could be around 15 percent of the trailer GVWR. Ignore hitch weight claimed by the manufacturer.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The bars have a range of weight that they handle, see the manufacturers website. Barney suggested bars that are above the weight you stated, knowing that the hitch weight is almost always well above the published weight. If you could get the real weight ready to roll it would help you get the exact bars you need. Know that heavier isn't better, correct is best since they need to flex.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would size the bars about 200-300 lbs above the advertised hitch weight. In your example, I would get 1000lb bars.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine