cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WEIGHT DIST HITCH

spitts55
Explorer
Explorer
Hving a hard time getting weight dist hitch level any tricks besides doing it on level syrface iam on slight incline'now
9 REPLIES 9

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I worried with this with our first F150/20' TT combo. I finally decided that I'd bring the front back to it's unloaded height and let the rear of the truck settle 3~". This brought the truck to about a level stance and the trailer sat level. Great big ol' hitch sticking way out the back and the ball was about level with the receiver. I found a straight welded short shank trunion style WDH at the flea market and bought it. Perfect fit. After a couple of trips, I decided it didn't even need the spring bars. I towed it with the short ball mount and no bars for about five years. I have a feeling we'll be going through the same process with my F250 and a potential 30' Jayco in our near future. I've seen some 30~'ers towed by HD pickups on the ball alone. Should need very little help if any from the WDH if the TV is adequate and the trailer is weighted correctly.
I don't see what you're towing or what you're towing it with.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
---Measure the distance between the top of the front wheel and the fender before hooking on. What you should be trying for is to get it to the same height and have front a rear level.---
If you adjust the WDH to return the front end to the same height as before hitching, the front axle will carry little, if any, of the tongue weight. The rear axle will be carrying around 75-80% of the tongue weight, and the rest will have been transferred to the trailer's axles.

If 75-80% of the TW is added to the TV's rear axle, it is highly unlikely that the rear of the TV will be at the same height as it was before hitching.

Chevrolet's current WDH-adjustment specs now imply that it is necessary to restore a load equal to only 50% of that which was removed from the front axle. This would cause the load on the rear axle to end up equal to about 100% of TW,because the rear axle also would be carrying the net load which was removed from the front axle.

In short, the new specs (from Ford also) result in less load on the front axle (causing the front to be higher) and even more load on the rear axle (causing the rear to be even lower). The TV is not going to end up "level".

If you don't like the looks of rear-end "squat", go ahead and add air bags. But, remember, if you add air after adjusting the WDH, the lifting of the rear will decrease the amount of load transfer to the TV's front axle.

Ron

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile, There is no requirement but you seem to be misinformed. Let yours sag. I have a 2006 Chevy 2500hd and usually leave grossed at about 19500. GVWR for my truck is 22,500. I have Airlift on the rear and Firestone 1003 airshocks on the front and a Reese Dual Cam. It sets perfectly level.Take your truck to a lot that is level and adjust your hitch. I agree with HVAC, it takes a trip but start by trying to get the truck level before you leave. Measure the distance between the top of the front wheel and the fender before hooking on. What you should be trying for is to get it to the same height and have front a rear level. When you get it level, you may get a rough ride but it should handle well in the wind and when a truck passes you, very little sway. If it sags in the rear you can get sway from passing trucks and it causes added wear on the front tires. With thousands of videos on the subject you should be successful. Good luck.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Its called a learning curve. I had a reese dual cam on our airstream and it took about one cross country trip to dial it in.

Currently using the Andersen weight dist hitch on our 21RBS. A real example of elegant engineering. Easy and this could be a game changer for the industry.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
What do you mean getting it level? There is no requirement for having the hitch level.

Read this;
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/14265335.cfm

Do this;
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/17730894.cfm
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't really need to be "level" but it does need to be even ground. Getting it set correctly is all about having the right weight spring bars and just taking the time to make the proper adjustments per the tow vehicles manufacturers instructions (they're NOT all the same). Often you can't get everything perfect and that's just fine but error on the low tongue side rather than the high tongue side. Also remember it's useless unless you're doing this with the trailer fully loaded (or close to it). There can be a HUGE difference in tongue weight with an empty trailer and a loaded one (400 lb. difference on my trailer).
Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a youtube video.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Once I get the tongue on the ball, I lower the jack more to lift the truck suspension a bit. The angle allows you to hook a lower link on the WD bars easier, then set it down. I used to really struggle before I found that tip. If your bars aren't level, then the hitch needs to be adjusted a bit.

I also have the Firestone RideRite air springs. Not needed to be level, but I get a bit of bounce (vertical sway ๐Ÿ™‚ ) without them. A couple extra pounds in them tightens up the suspension and makes for a really nice tow.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

RVNevada
Explorer
Explorer
Easy on flat ground, adjust chain, and use the tool to place it on
2015 Voltage V3895 Toy Hauler
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC LB DRW Air Bags
Toys and 2Labs