cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight Distribution Hitch Systems - Thoughts?

CampinHappy
Explorer
Explorer
Getting close to getting another trailer. I'm looking at the TrueTrack WDH but wanted to get my esteemed consultants from this forum for suggestions.

Also - what other options "should" the dealer provide on a new trailer or be part of the negotiations?

Muchas Thanks!
CampinHappy
West Texas Region
2021 Premier 29RK, 2017 F-150 pulling it fine
Former covered wagons include:

2007 K-Z Spree 240 BH with triple bunks for my 3 amigos
Formerly a 99 Coleman Niagara PUP
wife version 1.0 (so far :B) 4 boys who have flown the coop ๐Ÿ™‚
20 REPLIES 20

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Having used an Equalizer hitch on one trailer and having installed a Blue Ox Sway Pro on the current one, I like the BOSP very much. Easy to hook up, smooth and quiet and seriously dampens the "chucking" you get over bumps and RR tracks. Overall the trailer tows a lot smoother and is more stable.

The Equalizer did OK but it is clunky and heavy and a PITA to hook up, with lots of small parts (pins and clips to hold the bars in the sockets, and L pins and clips to hold the bars on the brackets, and the bars are stupid heavy and stiff (wonder what they are doing to the truck's hitch structure?)

Anyhow, thats my take on it.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

dedobias
Explorer
Explorer
The Blue OX Sway Pro does not have the noise or grease some do. ALso no shoulder straining chain hoisting like some and no back up issues

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I like my Husky Centerline TS with 1200 lb bars for my 10k lb trailer with up to 9280 lbs on the trailers axles and 1000 lbs on the trucks rear axle. I pulled the trailer for a year before being talked into a WD hitch.
Just make sure the hitch is heavy duty enough for the long haul.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
I use an Equalizer and have never had a reason to try anything else. I'm sure theres other good products, but as long as it works.....

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Monaramblee wrote:
Spare no expense on safety get the best.
HENSLEY hitch

I agree. The expense is significant. I suggest you get over the sticker shock and take them up on their 60 day guarantee.
Once you experience the towing performance of a Hensley no other hitch compares.
NO sway is for real. You will not feel, anticipate, move over or grab the wheel wheelers 18 wheelers go by. no regrets buying a Hensley.
In hindsight, the money I regret spending was on the other hitches that did not tow as well as the Hensley...LOL
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I highly recommend the Reese Dual Cam,the only system better is the HA/ProPride.

I had the D.C. With our 35ft TT and it kept it solid behind my Excursion even in high winds or with semis passing.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
treyster wrote:
Have them set the hitch up for you.

Another Equalizer user here.

That's fine but read the manual and watch a few videos, so you can check that the guys installing it, do it right.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
I love my husky center-line. Its the torsion bar style. No chains. Once i got it dialed in its been great!

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Super happy with the Blue Ox Sway Pro. Had it for 5 years and would buy another.
Hitches at dealers tend to be overpriced, get the best deal on the camper, the shop the best deal on the hitch.
Watch the install and set up videos, and do it yourself. I donโ€™t really trust the โ€œProsโ€.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
We have been happy with the Blue Ox Sway Pro.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had an E2 and when I bought a heavier, longer trailer Equalizer was an automatic purchase for me. Our E2 kept the trailer true and centered behind us for 30k miles including an offroad excursion at 68 mph due to sudden stopped traffic over a blind hill. I've only completed the one 3k mile trip so far but other than the noise it's worked very well. I think I'll be buying the plastic pads to lower the noise as it's unfortunately not that uncommon for us to be pulling in at supper time or later since I'm still working age ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
treyster wrote:
Have them set the hitch up for you.

Another Equalizer user here.

4th vote for the Equalizer. Totally transformed the towing experience from the old Husky with chains and a friction bar.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Watched the True Track video. Not sure i would go with that brand. The L bracket supports look pretty thin. Only torqued to 25 ft lbs?? The install video is a sloppy looking fat dude. That says something about the company. At about 6:30 in they show the WDH setup and the angle isnt even right!!! The spring bar should be sitting flat on the L bracket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCmbvhtMmrA

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III
One vote for Reese trunnion with hp dual cam anti sway. Just over 40k miles and one failure-a cam arm broke and was sent to the next campground we were going to free of charge. All parts are lifetime guarantee.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member