cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

West Texas

SALTYDOG5435S-T
Explorer
Explorer
I finally got to use my camper the way I wanted. I have been telling my wife, Lorna, that we could use the camper for work and be able to see some different areas of Texas as well. I am a land surveyor and she has retired from teaching. She is now my #1 helper.

I was awarded a project that required me to visit 12 sites. 5 were close to the house and did not require any overnight stay. These were done first. Next were 5 in the Valley. This is the area close to the Rio Grande River. I did have two sites in the Panhandle, but they would be last.

After we completed the field work on the close sites, it was time to head south. We had stops in Raymondville, Harlingen, Weslaco, McAllen, and Rio Grande City.

At the Rio Grande City Site, I took this picture of the Rio Grande River. Lorna has never seen the Rio Grande.

We then headed to Falcon State Park. It was not crowded and a good place to unwind.

The view out our back door.

The lake and Mexico

It is still low but it did look like people were using it.

We decided to check out the Butterfly Gardens at the Park.

I did manage to get a couple of pictures to play with.

Then it was back to Beeville for one night to take care of another client. Then on to San Antonio for a Baby shower. It was for our second Grandbaby. She is scheduled to bless us all on July 29th. C-section.

This portion of the trip was all business. We did not do very much site seeing. I just wanted to get the bulk of the project done. I did find a couple of areas that need to be revisited and we will be going back. At a much slower pace.

On the Sunday after the baby shower it was time to head to the panhandle. Our first night was at the San Angelo State Park. This lake is just a little low:

That is the dam across the top of this picture.

The next stop on this journey was just north of Post. The eastern edge of the Llano Estacado. These two peaks were used as reference points in the 19th century on most of the surveying done east of here. They were used as reference points up to 10 miles away.

And then it was off to the KOA in Lubbock.

On Tuesday it was off to the Pampa site. After we finished, we decided to check out a few places on the way back to the campground. Our first stop was White Deer.

Next a lunch at a road side park. Complete with a train.

Then on to the Texas Grand Canyon. Palo Duro Canyon State Park.

This is another place that needs to be revisited.

After taking care of the last site and resting for a day, it was time to head home. The long way.

Talk about a great way to start the day.

We cut through New Mexico. I wanted to revisit a small mountain range I had found in 1999. It is called Railroad Mountain. If you did not know about it, you would never visit it.

While looking for it, we found where one person had his visitors go to the bathroom.

I then found a road that took me there. Talk about changes.

There were large rocks all over the place when I was here before. I saw the paintings of Indians on the rocks. Now part of it is a land fill. I have been looking through pictures to show what it was like but have not been able to find it. Another example of progress.

After this we went on down to Guadalupe National Park.

Lorna was able to pick up her life time pass. I am to young for one this year. Then on to Van Horn KOA for the night. Typical West Texas, Flat all around and nothing but mountains in the distances.

The next day we headed to Seminole State Park.

And yes the road goes on forever.

We stopped to check out the Marfa lights, but it was to bright to see them.

Then another stop

We stopped by the Justice of the Peace.

The last time I went to a JP was in 1981 when we were married. Then off to see where the Pecos River and the Rio Grande meet.

Then on to the State Park for the night. The next day we stopped and let Lorna check out a new oven.

And then a stop at the dried up Lake Amistad.

Then we said enough. We were ready to get home. My idea will work but not like we just did. 2628.5 miles in 14 days is non stop driving. We will be going back again and at a much slower pace. Would I do it again? You better believe it. This is one side of a truck camper that I like. Hope you enjoyed the ride.

Cliff
2002 F350 4X4 Crew Cab Longbed SRW
2003 Lance 845
USMC 70-74
#1 fishing partner since 1981: My Ladybug
11 REPLIES 11

gorohoff
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for that trip report! I spent most of my summers growing up in the Texas panhandle, and your pictures of that flat open country bring back a lot of memories and reminds me that I need to get back there soon and visit family.
-Andrew

"For all its material advantages, the sedentary life has left us edgy, unfulfilled."
-Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

SALTYDOG5435S-T
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the kind comments and the suggestions. And thanks to all for looking. Each State Park or National Park needs another visit to fully enjoy them. Once again to all for looking.

Cliff
2002 F350 4X4 Crew Cab Longbed SRW
2003 Lance 845
USMC 70-74
#1 fishing partner since 1981: My Ladybug

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Great trip. Hope you have many more. Really like your pictures.
Cal

turtletalk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the trip! Just took a break from outside work and your report was as refreshing as my glass of cold water!

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
TexasShadow wrote:
good report and great pictures, thanks. I actually enjoy that lonnnnng drive from Van Horn to Sanderson and down to Del Rio. miles and miles of miles and miles.
The Seminole Canyon State Park has a real good tour of the rock art if you are there when the ranger is doing it.

Ahhh, Del Rio Texas. When I was in high school in the 60's in El Paso, we used to listen to a radio station that claimed to be in Del Rio, but their actual broadcast tower was in Mexico. Back then US AM stations were power limited at night to minimize interference and their signal had to be directed outward from the country. Mexico wasn't limited so they could put out 50,000 watts and reach a far as the mid west.

The one thing I remember best was their ad which offered to sell (for the benefit of a supposed church), "Genuine autographed pictures of Jesus!"

Times have changed.
RVing since 1995.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the trip. I liked it.

Rick

lizbard
Explorer
Explorer
Next time you are in the Panhandle area or other areas close to Oklahoma, get the info book from Oklahoma about the Route 66. We saw a little bit of it in Oklahoma as we were driving thru and visited a museum in Pontiac, IL to see 4 free museums, free parking and friendly people.

We saw the Land Yacht that a painter fixed up to travel Route 66. I will post those pics later. Still trying to find stuff after 2 months and almost 5,000 miles. We really loved doing that.

I can see where using the truck camper would be perfect for what you do and being able to get to the out of the way places I am sure you have to go. Don't forget to take the DW to Pecos to see Paisano Pete.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
good report and great pictures, thanks. I actually enjoy that lonnnnng drive from Van Horn to Sanderson and down to Del Rio. miles and miles of miles and miles.
The Seminole Canyon State Park has a real good tour of the rock art if you are there when the ranger is doing it.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were in West Texas in May - it was really eye opening traveling through Ft Davis and Marfa and then to the Mexican border. We plan to travel far more in the area. Who knew that areas are over 7,000 feet above sea level with some of the best star gazing anywhere. Thanks for your TR.

Aussiecowdog
Explorer
Explorer
Very much enjoyed your trip report, Salty. West Texas is a definitely a land of big everything.