cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What brand of shocks have worked well for you?

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
And if you buy them someplace like Shock Warehouse and don't want to install them yourself, what installation option do you recommend?
24 REPLIES 24

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
mooring product wrote:
Bilstein 5100's special valved for my truck. I have run many different manufacturers but always seem to go back to these.

I have the 5100 Bilsteins too for 3 years now. 4wheelparts stated I needed these than 4600's because of added height after I had them install extra leaf spring in each rear pack on my Dodge 2500 4x4 CTD.

basslbbig
Explorer
Explorer
Rancho 9000 here, love them.
2005 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 SB SRW,Rancho 9000,HM Stableloads,Hellwig SB
2001 Fleetwood Angler 8C
2006 19' Reinell
1969 Z28 Camaro

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rancho 9000 adjustables on our last 3 trucks and are simply fabulous. Fully adjustable for great ride and handling to any load or lack of. Roughly 360,000 miles already on the 3 trucks of carrying our very heavy 11+ foot Lance TC or our Carriage 5th wheels towing and never had a single issue, repair, replacement, etc with them. Only thing the diesel truck is used for since new! No rust either and are still white with over 165,000 miles of being on our present 2004.5 Chevy D/'max Crew Cab Long Box 4X4 for 11 years now and we live in Michigan where salt is used on roads in the winter.

Put them on the 2004.5 about 3 weeks after the ordered new truck was driven away from the dealership in 2004. If we were to buy a new truck in the future, the Rancho 9000 Adjustables will be on it too within a month!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
The only reason I'm running Rancho 9K's is they keep warranting them out, for what ever reason. I think I've cycled 3 sets now on the rr axle of the Dodge. They keep rusting, run out of push back, get bent up, or the bushings wear out. Replaced those too. It couldn't be operator error, could it? I do appreciate the adjustable feature though.
On the front I've had great luck with 4Wheel Parts own brand of single action shocks as the front axle loading changes so little. I got them sized for a 3" lift.
I had KYB's back in the 1970's and like them a lot. What i remember was the stiffness got stiffer as the oil got hotter, which seemed odd. But, that was then and this is now. You KYB runners are the experts. I/m thinking of ADDING another set of shocks on the rear axle, which will be KYB Mono's with their single action. Set on close to a diagonal, these would help the side to side loading, like kicker shocks, as a result of my wimpy factory rear anti-sway bar. I guess I'll just take it in the shorts (so to speak) with no load in the bed and just adjust from max to min on the Ranchos.
The stiffest shocks I've ever seen were on Rick 4x4x4's Chevy half ton quadSteer TC. For stock shocks those puppies were st-i-ff.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

ejfranz
Explorer
Explorer
And another KYB Monomax convert.
Truck rides fine without a load, but is smother with the camper on.
06 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crewcab SRW 4WD - Allison 6 speed & Duramax LBZ.
Upgrades: BD diesel exhaust manifold, Edge Evolution, Timbrens & KYB Monomax.
Camper: 2005 Adventurer 90FWS - Electric jacks, LEDs, 6V batteries, roof rack, ladder & awning.

B-n-B
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rancho 9000's across three campers from a pop-up to a hard side with a slide. Eight years and counting for this set without a problem.
2019 Chevy 3500HD LTZ DRW
2021 Lance 975

JohnAM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oldtymeflyr wrote:
Another KYB Monomax user here. They work for us and I don't have to adjust the things for them to do their job.

Same for me.
2011 RAM 3500 CTD Laramie DRW 4x4, Torklift, Superhitch, Stableloads
06 Dodge 3500 CTD Quad DRW 4x4 6sp Man, TorkLift, Superhitch, Stableloads, KYB Monomax (Traded in)
11 Lance 1191
97 Lance 980 (Sold)

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
Another KYB Monomax user here. They work for us and I don't have to adjust the things for them to do their job.

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
Rancho 9000
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

bedrocker
Explorer
Explorer
I've been running KYB monomax now for 8 yrs (great shock)
I just ordered some Bilstein 4600 HD's so when
I get them I'll report back on how they compare
The reason for the change is age and the PSI
Bilstein 4600 HD 360 psi
KYB monomax 292 psi

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
Bilstein 5100's special valved for my truck. I have run many different manufacturers but always seem to go back to these.
Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
DWeikert wrote:
Another KYB Monomax user here. I like them but can only compare them to the wimpy stock shocks the truck came with.

Me too. I bought them because I couldn't find posts where owners didn't like them, unlike the Ranchos. Plus they are much less expensive than the Rancho's or Bilsteins.

They work great.

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another KYB Monomax user here. I like them but can only compare them to the wimpy stock shocks the truck came with.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

ADA6969
Explorer
Explorer
2 4wd trucks, both rancho's seem to work good. also on a jeep
2012 RAM 3500DRW MAX TOW 4WD AUTO STD CAB ST DIESEL STABLE LOADS AIR BAGS AND RS9000XLS, ROADMASTER 1 3/8" REAR SWAY BAR 2021 AF 1150 DRY BATH TOWING 2017 JEEP RUBICON JKU BUILT. OR 2020 JEEP RUBICON JL BUILT