cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheel and Tire Recommendations:

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
I've Been saying for too long, "I'm gonna upgrade" well the wait is over I need tires anyway. I drive a '13 F350 SRW 8' 6.7L Upper Stableloads Super Hitch w/ 48" truss, and carry a'13 N.L. 10-2 cdse. Went to the scales and I weigh, Front 5200, Rear 7500 GVW 12,700. That puts me at 800 under Front GAWR and 500 over Rear GAWR, and 1200 over GVWR. This is with water full and packed to the gills' This is not how I'm usually packed, probably 300-400 lbs. extra if not more, I was dropping stuff off on my trip. I've driven Class Trucks, and towed for the last 40 yrs. so I know what weight feels like and where to put it. I've never felt uncomfortable, or unsafe with this set-up, and truck handles weight well. I just don't know rim terminology," back spacing,off set,lug centric, etc.... Can you steer me in the right direction, as to what I need to know for size,other than the obvious 19.5 x........... Tire recommendations and brands welcome also. I mostly stay to paved road, with the occasional dirt or sand trip. Sorry so long winded my searches were frustrating the h ll out of me. Not technology blessed. Thanks in advance, K Mac.:h
20 REPLIES 20

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
K Mac wrote:
Tire Dealers around here give me more excuses for why I shouldn't go to 19.5" wheels, (personally I don't think they know what a TC is) so I back to ask the EXPERTS what your running on your Visions. Vision rep Barry @ AL. link (Runs Visions Himself) suggested 225/70-19.5 over 245/70-19.5 (Better Height Match) because of the cost factor. This is for '13 F-350 SRW LB carrying a'13 NL 10-2 cdse. Thanks again K.Mac. Almost forgot, what happens with the TPMS ? won't I need different sensors because of the pressure difference ? I'm cluless:h

You should see the load rating of the 225 vs 245 because in some brands/types, the load rating is dramatically different. I ran Hankook DH-01 G 245s on my SRW for 8 1/2 years. On my F450, 225 is stock and the recommended size. I am running Fs though to be a little less stiff.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
K Mac wrote:
This is for '13 F-350 SRW LB carrying a'13 NL 10-2 cdse. Thanks again K.Mac. Almost forgot, what happens with the TPMS ? won't I need different sensors because of the pressure difference ? I'm cluless:h

Those numbers can lead to lot of confusion.
What you need it tell us what max load you are planning to have on your wheels and what is the proposed tire weight carrying?
Coming to TPMS, being that new technology each year had different features.
My 2017 F350 has TPMS but suppose they will not ring an alarm (I keep postponing the test) but since I can check the pressure every day, that is good for me. Also some systems nave receiver at each wheel and rotating the wheels will update itself automatically, on some systems you need to program the sensors to the position.
Your manual should be the best source for that info.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
delete
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
JW2 wrote:
K Mac:

Curious, what did you end up deciding about upgrading your tires and wheels?
Here's where we stand. Vision 81 A's-& C's (diff. Caps)from Summit, out the door for $630.52.They matched price of WPFLA (Vision recomended) who wouldn't accept a Credit Card and I don't know PayPal so Went with Summit, good long standing company. Working through the links you suggested on Tire choice. Boy, there's a lot more to this than I would have thought. Tire Dealers around here give me more excuses for why I shouldn't go to 19.5" wheels, (personally I don't think they know what a TC is) so I back to ask the EXPERTS what your running on your Visions. Vision rep Barry @ AL. link (Runs Visions Himself) suggested 225/70-19.5 over 245/70-19.5 (Better Height Match) because of the cost factor. This is for '13 F-350 SRW LB carrying a'13 NL 10-2 cdse. Thanks again K.Mac. Almost forgot, what happens with the TPMS ? won't I need different sensors because of the pressure difference ? I'm cluless:h

JW2
Explorer
Explorer
K Mac:

Curious, what did you end up deciding about upgrading your tires and wheels?

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
Skipro 3 where did you find a weight rating for H2 wheels of 5000# ? The best estimate I have found was half that , no facts . Thanks

I got the info in a phone call to an Alcoa engineer. Nothing in writing although he told me that the stamped #'s inside the rim is a code. This is ONLY for the chromed aluminum wheels though. I do not know that any others are forged or not as I didn't ask him that. I did this many years ago, maybe in 2008 or so.
And just to pass along, the wheels do not fit the Dodge without mods. The center hub hole is too small. I had to deflate the tire in order to get the rim to sit flat at a milling station and mill the center hole larger. I don't remember the specs any more either. The hole pattern is the same and they are lug centric as is the Dodge truck.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Skipro 3 where did you find a weight rating for H2 wheels of 5000# ? The best estimate I have found was half that , no facts . Thanks
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
125/122 is the tire load index and refers to the load rating of the tire. 125 denotes that each tire can carry 3638 pounds at the maximum inflation pressure. The second number (122) refers to the load rating on a single tire used in a dual rear wheel application. “R” refers to the tire’s speed rating. In this case, the tire is rated at 106 mph for continuous use. The higher the letter, the faster the tire is rated to travel. R is nominally found on H.D. light truck tires.

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
LOL, slid off into drift. Sorry for delay in response, was up in MA. helping family with the invading Atlantic. Thanks for all the Info. Should have listed OEM rims: Cast Alum. @ 3490#, Michelins LTX A/T2 275/70 R-18 @ 3640#. Door sticker lists (recommends) L/T 275/70 R 18 E 125/122 R. What does the 125/122 mean ? Thanks Again K.

bigjimcruising
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my F450 with (at the time) the biggest camper on the market and it came time to fit new tires I went with the Toyo commercial traction tires all around. I was very pleased with their performance both on highway and off road. Other then the odd smell the first few months, which I've heard they have since fixed, I would consider them again in the large wheel sizes like you have.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, 5.9 engine with winch and service body. Getting it ready for a new camper and then hit the trails!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ha. OP never came back. Hope he's not stuck in a snow drift out there! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
While I have a Dodge Ram truck, my load is near identical to yours front/rear axle weights. I tried to convince myself that 285/75-17 Nitto Dura Grapplers. Rated to carry 3970# on Hummer H2 rims (made from forged aluminum by Alcoa) rated at 5,000lbs each was enough to support it all. But I was nervous with the poor shape of the roads I've encountered and that the further I'd get from civilization, the worse they got. Definitely did not feel comfortable at speeds 65mph and higher. (and honestly, a big reason for a camper is so I'm not restricted on max highway speeds like towing has)

Then I read the report by Buzzcut having a blow out. He lives near me and we drive the same highway system, so I really took it to heart when he narrowly escaped disaster. I first searched online and found Rickson, a manufacturer who makes 19.5 wheels here in the USA. The price was enough to choke me, so I started scouring craigslist and got lucky; some guy out of Nevada had a set and was willing to meet me in South Lake Tahoe. Got my wheels for a very reasonable and fair price, then headed to my local Les Schwab dealer. I trust them as they have a large commercial tire sales business and wanted their advice. They loved my truck camper rig when I brought it over and they recommended TOYO's. I chose the M608Z tire because I occasionally travel dirt roads and I live in hilly snow country. Well, there's no way I can say I don't now feel safe with these on. Wow! The tires squirm a bit until they are broke in, but any heavy lugged tire will do the same I believe. The sing to me at any speed above 40mph as well, but I just pretend I'm a badasz trucker.

There are a couple things you do need to be aware of if you go this route;
1. They are a TALL combination. A 2 inch front lift was needed for tire clearance, otherwise there was interference when turning the wheel lock-to-lock.
2. If you want your spare to be the same, figure another way to mount it because it's likely not to fit under the bed of the truck where the factory puts the spare. Even if you keep the stock spare, if you ever need to change one on the road, where ya gonna put that big boy after you remove it?
3. They are HEAVY. I'd say at least 50 pounds per wheel/tire combo over the aluminum HUMMER H2 wheels and Nitto tires. I compensated this added weight by dumping my stock spare. The H2 and Nitto wouldn't fit where the spare goes, and I found the factory stock tire to now be past it's prime, age-wise. Besides, these tires, if you damage one, you'll likely have other problems than just a flat tire. Not only are they 14 ply rated, they are deep lugged AND they can be cut for a 2nd tread, there's that much more rubber under the existing tread. Anything pierces that has my attention!
4. Your speedometer and odometer will be off about 10%. A code change can correct it usually, but may cost a visit to the dealership and a charge to set this up for the taller tires.
5. Because they are tall, they affect your power curve. Having a Cummins diesel engine, it was fine by me to lower RPM's at freeway speeds. I now turn 1800rpms at 65mph.
6.This isn't a cheap upgrade. But for me, safety of my family and peace-of-mind for me was worth it. I can take these tires anyplace and not worry about any sort of failure
7. They suck when the truck is empty and the road is wet. I first discovered this making a left hand turn at a 4 way intersection and my rear tire hit the painted crosswalk. Wheel spin, no traction. I've got an open differential, so there is that, but just mild power and turning causes the tire with the lesser traction to loose grip. I'm too afraid to test them on snow covered roads empty but I did with my camper on. Fine for that as I can lock in 4 wheel drive and she's solid.
8. They are harsh when the truck is empty. You know you are driving a truck, that's for SURE!

Hope this helps!

tcguy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about the newer Ford F350's but my 2005 F350 SD SRW 4x4 crew cab has hub centric wheels. Most aftermarket wheels are lug centric. I am running the Toyo Open Country A/T II tires in a LT285/75R18 size with a rating of 4,080 lbs. per tire. I have these mounted on the factory Ford aluminum rims. I have been happy with this combination hauling both my older Lance 855 camper and my new Northern Lite 811 QC SE.

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
As posted above- Toyos or (what I have been happy with) Nittos.

Me? The truck in my signature with 285/75-17 Nitto Dura Grapplers. Rated to carry 3970# and I am easily under on RAWR now.

I do have them mounted on steel OEM wheels.

Been all over the eastern U.S. and Canadian Maritimes.

I wore out the first set and bought the same to replace them. Discount Tire Direct .com has good info on many brands with sizes and weight ratings.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT