cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to buy replacement aluminum skirts

SC_camper
Explorer
Explorer
After 15 years and thousands of miles towing, we had our first tire blow out this weekend. Damage to stabilizer jack wires, cold water pipe, fender and the lower aluminum skirt. The skirt is the filler that hangs below the siding. Where can I buy a matching replacement skirt? Aftermarket company, manufacturer or will one have to be specially made? 2012 Dutchman , brown in color. Thanks for any advice before I try contacting manufacturer, I have no Dutchman dealer nearby.
11 REPLIES 11

SC_camper
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
Good for you, You might luck out on J metal

Also... not to bug you but, in your pic, the water heater looks like it could use an service cleaning and adjustment. Black smoke was clue. Easy to do and lots of vides about it.

Thanks for the info, I noticed that while on our trip. Sort of lost priority after the blow out but was going to look into that.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
(sorry, enter button got hick-ups)
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Good for you, You might luck out on J metal

Also... not to bug you but, in your pic, the water heater looks like it could use an service cleaning and adjustment. Black smoke was clue. Easy to do and lots of vides about it.

SC_camper
Explorer
Explorer
The J Wrap is crumbled up, completely folded over in 2 places(length wise). No way in the world it can be used. I did bang and straighten it out enough so I can have a buddy at the banner shop make me a matching vinyl stripe. I went to my local rv dealer today. They have several left over sections of J Wrap, 3 different shades of brown. Going back tomorrow with old piece and Im hoping one will match.

Thanks for all the help folks!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
How bad is the J wrap mangled? I've seen it where they can sometimes roll it back into pretty good shape by hand using a piece of 4" ABS pipe.

It's pretty expensive to buy through a dealer but you could ask if they can get it shipped from the factory inside a new TT being delivered the dealer. Did that once with some 8' pieces of trim and save a ton of $$.

All-Rite also sells J wrap. I wonder if a person could get it formed at a local sheet metal shop and color-matched at a body shop?

BillB800si
Explorer
Explorer
Funny you should ask. Just last week I replaced mine on my 2016 Windjammer by Forest River. I backed up and smashed the stabilizer switch, the shirting and the end cap that holds the skirting in place.
I went to General RV in Wixom, Michigan and had Scotty order the OEM parts direct from Forest River. The skirting comes in 4ft,8ft and 12ft lengths. I needed a 43 inch so I ordered a 4 footer. Had to cut it with a pair of meter sheers( like heavy scissors) to 43 inches. The end cap covered the cut end of the skirt. The skirting already comes painted to a perfect match. Shipping costs were $15.95 to General RV. The total cost of all parts and shipping was $93.00.
It took me probably an hour to do the whole job. Looks great now.
Good luck
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W

SC_camper
Explorer
Explorer
The j metal(skirt as I called it) is shown in tact in front of the front tire behind the fender skirt.

SC_camper
Explorer
Explorer
I guess Im using the wrong term to explain what I am asking for. I do need a fender skirt. But my biggest issue would be the J metal, if thats what its called. (Thanks). I am going to get some measurements and start making some calls to local dealers and check what they may have. Thanks for the links shared, I will research those also.

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
Try Trekwood RV they have OEM parts for Dutchmen and Keystone. I got my replacement skirt there. Price was reasonable, but shipping jacked it up about $40. In the end though, it matched perfectly, which is what I wanted. you can find ones that will fit on Amazon, but they won't have the logo and won't match perfectly (at least most likely).
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

path1
Explorer
Explorer
What you call lower skirt, I think some and me call it J metal. Sort of wraps underneath?

Couple choices...

Plan A...Here is what my OEM manf wants. Only sell in 12 foot sections. Special shipping crate fee. Then big $$ to ship LTL truck (oversize for UPS or Fed EX)
Then it arrives had has not been painted yet. A lot of $$$ for a 3 feet section that I needed.

Plan B...Saw an rv that had same J metal and color as we have, but different make. Got the brand and model number and called their dealers. About the third brand X dealer I called, said "I have 4 feet section come and get it" for a way lower price than what my OEM wanted after shipping and crating and not painted.

Also not uncommon to re-route propane pipe so it doesn't get nailed again. And don't forget to look real close above wheel well to make sure it didn't get nailed and is water tight. When you take off your fender look for any numbers on it? If not also remove other side, it could have some numbers.

Good luck

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Try here.

There are others also. Google travel trailer fenders.