cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which SB camper to get?

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
I seem to enjoy wheeling and dealing so I go through a lot of rolling stock and RVs and fortunately I usually break even or take only a slight loss. On occasion I actually come out ahead.
Anyway, I'm back to a new Ram Cummins/Aisin CC, 4x4 SB 3500.
I'm in partners on a 30' 5th TH and have an older 21' TH that I use when staying on vacant land I own and when the 5vr isn't available.
When I want to stay in 1 place for awhile and have lots of room or take extra people I'll use the TH.
I'm more of a "traveler" and like to see the sights and only spend 1-2 nights before moving on. I don't plan on doing hard core off-road adventures but want to be able to get off the beaten path.
The Ram has the shortest bed at 6'4" so the bigger SB models look awkward and probably have more than ideal rear CG.
The AF 811 or Lance 855s would be great but I don't think I need or want the size or weight.
I thought about a pop up but like the convenience and simplicity of a small hard side.
Most of the time it will be just me with an occasional guest.
I want to be able to park pretty much anywhere, have great handling with the truck and have a simple, reliable TC.
I'm leaning toward the Lance 865 as it seems to have decent room, tank capacity, storage for a Honda 2k gen and a good market for used as well as new.
Anything I'm overlooking or other campers I should consider?
I've had the DRW and large slide out campers and if I could only have 1 RV, I would go that route, but they can get so big and heavy they defeat the purpose of simple and mobile.
I have almost 4K lbs of payload and have Stable Loads and Helwig Big Wig but want to stay with stock 18" wheels and will upgrade to 295/75/18 tires with a 4080 lb rating.
I know another option is the Wolf Creek 850 but it's wider and I believe taller than the 865.
I'm even considering the Lance 650 which would ride like a dream on my 3500.
Maybe a little small but good tank capacities and very little overhang.
Aother consideration is the Northstar 850SC for a pop up.
What do you all think?
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
16 REPLIES 16

Golly
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 Northern Lite and I love it for winter camping. I stay toasty warm. The double pane windows and the reflective shades help a lot. Maybe it only has 1" insulation, but it seems fine. I bought a length of carpet runner for the floor and it works great.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Northern lite only has one inch thick insulation. Just go BigFoot. 4 inches longer in length is no big deal.

My NL would be a lot better if it had more insulation as its just not enough to go camping when its uncrowded in fall, winter and early spring.

To be nice cozy and uncrowded... that's the best

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
Norhstar is a consideration.
I looked at a few Adventure campers today and a fully loaded Lance 855s. Pretty nice but still bigger than I want on the back of my truck.
The Lance 825 is out as with the rear bath it feels like a dungeon and not very open. Did have a nice sized bath though. They didn't have an 865 to look at.
Also looked at a Lance 650. For less than 7' long it wasn't bad. Decent room and storage and holdIng tank size. This would ride like a dream on my 3500 as it's made for half tons.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Sometimes what's available can dictate what you purchase. In fact, it's the case more often than not.

I love when people recommend a specific brand and model of camper, as if you can just waltz into Walmart and put one in your shopping cart like a can of tomato soup.

A new 865 Lance or a Northstar ( Bedlam's suggestion) would be fairly readily available. I also notice that you do not see very many Lance 865 and Northstar hardsides in the used market.

I do enjoy the suggestion type posts, because i can live Vicariously through others. Good Luck with the purchase!
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Fire,
Look in your glovebox to find the recommended camper weight max or to find out if a camper is not recommended. Our neighbor bought a new GM 4-door 4WD 2500 SRW diesel that has a 1500 pound camper weight max listed in the glove box. Your choices with a short box are not vast, but are out there, especially this time of year.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Bedlam
Did you look at the Northstar campers? Some are narrower which make them better for accessing tight boon docking sites.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
FireGuard wrote:
Only problem is Trader on line only showed 6 BF nationwide and no 8.2. Hard to find.
I believe they are still making them new but wonder why they don't list them for sale?

Bigfoot was out of business for a few years, but they also didn't make very many campers per year. If you want to go clam shell, look at Northern Lite, too. Check out this page that even shows the previous 6'10" model. http://www.northern-lite.com/truck_camper_lite.php

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sometimes what's available can dictate what you purchase. In fact, it's the case more often than not.

I love when people recommend a specific brand and model of camper, as if you can just waltz into Walmart and put one in your shopping cart like a can of tomato soup.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
I like the AF but don't want to go that big.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the good info.
The 4 wheel would be good off-road but a little more spartan than I want. Need a full bath.
After researching Bigfoot I really like the 8.2. Great quality and construction and it looks great on the new Ram. Very well proportioned.
Only problem is Trader on line only showed 6 BF nationwide and no 8.2. Hard to find.
I believe they are still making them new but wonder why they don't list them for sale?
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Earthroamer82
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked into the Arctic Fox 811 or 865?

Seems like they might fit your needs.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I would go for a Bigfoot Camper. They have thicker insulation and good resale value. Simple handling, just go inside and its already for your needs.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how much fuel 6"-8" shorter or thinner will yeald you. But it will be smaller in space as well.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
scout4trout wrote:
It has a lower center of gravity because of its fiberglass clamshell construction.

I'm not sure how you'd calculate that. If it is a non-basement, model that's shorter in height than a basement model ... maybe. Probably not a lower center of gravity than a popup. ๐Ÿ™‚

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member