Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which travel trailer do you recommend

kprutzman
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

We are shopping for a travel trailer and narrowed it down to three. To give you a little background on my towing experience. To help in the deciding factor. 🙂 I never towed before, but did give it a try. A little rusty on the backing up, but was able to back into a space between two campers and feel I will get better over time. We have the 2016 F150 2.7L with eco boost. Max towing 7500 lbs.

Now for our three choices in travel trailers.

• 2018 Coleman Light 1805RB - 22’9” 4136 lbs. dry weight, dual axle.

• 2018 Forest River RV Rockwood Mini Lite 2104S - 21’9” 4543 lbs. dry weight, dual axle.

• 2018 Forest River RV Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S - 21’7” 4238 lbs. dry weight, dual axle.

Any recommendations, thoughts or advice? Good or bad.

Thank you and happy camping!
31 REPLIES 31

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
If you are still waiting to see the Rockwood 2109S, are there any Winnebago dealers near you?
2106FBS:Micro Minnie 2106FBS

or 2108DS with Murphy bed.

Edit: I like the Rockwood's too, but have a tilt toward the Winnebago's based on their lineage to the old Sunnybrook, and high quality.
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

nctrailboss
Explorer
Explorer
kprutzman wrote:
Thank you everyone for the responses.

Sadly I haven’t made the purchase yet. I went back to look at the 2104S model again today. (With the anticipation of buying.) But couldn’t do the purchase on it. After looking at it again I realized there wasn’t much storage space for clothing. Unless we were planning on wearing socks and underwear most of the time. Also, the kitchen cabinet at the sink consisted on one flip out trough (for like the sos pads) and one big drawer for pots and pans. There was a nice size pantry for food. But what about dishes and utensils? There was no drawer for utensils or silverware. Seriously!? The one other odd storage thing I saw was the pass thru storage opening was small to others we looked at and the driver side one didn’t even align the opening with the pass thru. ??

Next attempt is to look at the 2109S. Unfortunately, I am going to have to wait on getting to see this one. The only dealer in our area that carries the Rockwoods has on order, but isn’t in yet. ??

The Coleman Light 1805RB is still on the mind. But this model we looked at didn’t have the murphy bed and the two dealers with these didn’t give me anywhere near comparable prices to the Rockwood. (Yet the one dealer had the same starting price as the Rockwood 2104S and the other had a $4,000 less starting price as the Rockwood. But the cost was going to be a LOT more. Sounded like this dealer was trying to make a huge profit off of the Coleman.) The one other concern is what ScottG commented on the Coleman campers. I don’t like to base my opinion on one review. Any others with issues with the Coleman Light 1805RB travel trailer or brand that anyone can give me? Thank you again for the tips, suggestions and reviews.
We have a 2017 1805rb,and have been extremely pleased.It has an enclosed underbelly,plenty of room for myself and DW,and tows great.Loaded up for us gets the trailer up to 4500lbs,with about 610lbs of that as tongue weight.[empty water tank].Pulling it behind a 2013 Silverado 4x4 ext. cab with the 4.8 and 3.42 gears.All of the weight numbers fall under manufacturers max. weight capacities.We have had zero issues.[I know,hard to believe]Hope this helps,and does'nt make your decision even harder.LoL

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
While I don't recommend a brand, I won't buy an RV of any sort unless it has either an aluminum or fiberglass roof. I don't trust rubber, EPDM, or any of the other types. (The MH we had for 10 years had a fiberglass roof, and our current TT has an aluminum roof.)

Out of curiosity what TT, besides airstream, has an aluminum roof?

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
While I don't recommend a brand, I won't buy an RV of any sort unless it has either an aluminum or fiberglass roof. I don't trust rubber, EPDM, or any of the other types. (The MH we had for 10 years had a fiberglass roof, and our current TT has an aluminum roof.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Taylor90
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco Hummingbird Travel Trailer:
The Jayco Hummingbird travel trailers are specifically designed for those who prefer a lightweight travel trailer, which can be towed easily with any pickup truck or even an SUV. You also get a smaller footprint, as any floor plan you choose won’t go over 20 feet in length. This is beneficial for those of us who have a smaller storage area.

Though small, this lightweight camper provides you with everything you’ll need in an RV. On the exterior, these RVs have fantastic features, such as the black-coated aluminum fenders and the tinted safety glass windows. As you step inside, you’ll experience the comfort of high-density dinette cushions, LED lighting, and U-shaped dinettes (in Hummingbird 17FD and Hummingbird 17RK) for a cozy yet spacious interior. Options for Canadian standards, LED TV, AC and other additions serve as the cherry on top. These beautiful features give a spacious feel to the lightweight travel trailer, which is why we recommend it so highly.

Key Features:

5 different floor plans available
AM/FM/CD/DVD/Bluetooth stereo with speakers
Aerodynamic, rounded profile with front & rear black diamond plating
30-amp service with detachable power cord
LED brake lights
High-density dinette cushions with vinyl backing
It feels good to be lost in the right direction!

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2010 Dutchmen Lite. I bought it used and have put 30,000 miles on it in the last four years. Twice a year I use a wash'N'wax on it. I have washed the roof once and I inspect the seals every year.

I like clean but I am not big on bright and shiny. I spent more effort on the undercarriage and rolling gear.

Basically I bought it to use not polish. Other find enjoyment in a sharp looking rig.

Safe travels.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Small trailers don't need much storage space because they also don't have much cargo capacity.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
While Dutchman gave you a lot of good info I disagree about trading every 3 years. Most people I know keep a camper around 10 years if not more.

To get a camper to last 10 years require EXCEPTIONAL care of the exterior ! Storing under a roof is best or at least a god cover/tarp. Even with these precautions, you will still need to wash and treat the roof with a UV protectant at least once a year. If stored with no protection, you should wash and treat it TWICE a year.

colliehauler wrote:
I would check out the fiberglass egg type campers as well. They are better built with the best resell value. Scamp, Castia, Oliver and several others.

I like eggshell campers but they are SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE !
My current seasonal RV is 12 years old and has never been covered or the roof treated. The only thing I have done is inspect the roof caulking to prevent water penetration. I do wash and wax once a year. I did have a leak that needs addressed this year in the slideout floor from the side of the slideout. The oldest camper at the seasonal site (not mine) was a 1984 Shasta that was replaced last year with a larger unit. People who owned the 84 Shasta sold it for 1200. To people going to use it for a hunting camper out in the woods. This camper never saw protection from the elements in it's life.

When I purchased a new RV the dealer specifically told me NOT to cover the roof with a tarp because it does not allow air to circulate and the build up of heat. Covers designed for RV'S allow air to circulate.

My 5th wheel (at home) is in like new condition and 15 year's old but has always been kept in a pole building when not used.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree about everyone not wanting a "condo" on wheels. Of course, my trailer (27 ft from bumper to hitch) is huge compared to yours, it's still relative small to a lot of trailers out there.

I've also found that if you're under 30 feet your options at national parks are much greater. Just looking at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone NP, for example, the 40' and under sites have been sold out for a long time. Most sites 35' and under have been gone for a long time. But there are still a fair number of sites still available for 30' and under.

jfkmk wrote:
All very nice campers with good floor plans.

Despite some opinions, not everyone is into huge campers and use smaller campers as stepping stone for huge campers. It's hard for some to imagine, but there are folks (myself included) who prefer smaller campers. We don't need a rolling condo to be happy.

I don't think many campers are designed for 2-3 years use, that sounds ridiculous. We've had our 17 footer for 5 years, and it's in as good a shape as when it was new. Does it have cheaply made cabinets as described? Yeah, so do most other sub $100k campers, and our previous class C.

Go for any of the campers you listed, and have a blast.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
To get a camper to last 10 years require EXCEPTIONAL care of the exterior ! Storing under a roof is best or at least a god cover/tarp. Even with these precautions, you will still need to wash and treat the roof with a UV protectant at least once a year. If stored with no protection, you should wash and treat it TWICE a year.

I don't buy expensive campers, park them outside without cover, and have never once washed or treated the exterior of one. I kept the first for 9 years, the second for 8. This one is now 3 years old and I expect to keep it for 10. This one still looks pretty darn good (aside from dents from rocks, aluminum seems to retain it's good appearance better than my previous laminated one did).

I don't really expect a 10 year old trailer to look new though. 🙂
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
While Dutchman gave you a lot of good info I disagree about trading every 3 years. Most people I know keep a camper around 10 years if not more.

!

So untrue. Our TT is now 7 years old (ok, not 10 as in your post), and while I clean the roof and check/caulk the seems, I've never treated with any uv protectant, and it is like brand new. Furthermore, I have the original roof membrane manual, and they specifically recommend against treatments.

I agree covering will prolong the roofs life, but your recommendation of a tarp is 100% wrong. Never cover with a tarp! They chafe and hold in moisture!

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
By now the original protester should have figured out the choice can only be made by them.

Three things have to match. The floor plan trumps all. You lived with it when all else is forgotten, tow vehicle has to have the cargo capacity for the loaded tongue weight and family. Finally the cost has to reasonable.

We rented our first TT for a week to test the waters and we learned a lot about towing, parking, mileage etc.

RVing is a personal experience and we all have different priorities.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
"Lance are kinda heavy to tow with a Ford Egoboost. "

Even the Lance 1995 is only 4,080 dry. That is lighter than what the OP is looking at. Loaded, mine weighs 5,600 lbs.

Apparently you don't like the Ecoboost, since you (I presume) intentionally misspelled the name. No need to did his truck.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
trail-explorer wrote:
patperry2766 wrote:
Lance

Lance are kinda heavy to tow with a Ford Egoboost.

Not the ones I linked to. Obviously you haven't driven the 2.7. I had one as a loaner when my 5.0 was in the shop and it was in every way equal to and in some ways surpassed my current truck. While I wouldn't personally get the 2.7...it is numerically capable of pulling every Lance trailer, not the toy haulers.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation