cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who's dumb idea was it to use this locking system?

jbird68
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've got these dumb locks on our camper. Half the time they don't lock securely. I just keep turning and turning and turning. The back hatch always feels like it's going to fly off. The front trunk never feels like it is locked either. There is also no indicator to tell you which way to lock or unlock. I could probably just write the direction on the camper with a Marker. But that would look cheap. Anyone else hate these stupid things as much as me?

Jbird68
6 REPLIES 6

SoCalRailFan
Explorer
Explorer
Weird, mine has a regular key. Went on a trip years ago and forgot my trailer key, I almost cried. But the park I was at had a box full of keys and one worked! Talk about luck.

I'd try and replace your lock with something a bit better.
Thanks,
Dave
www.photographersnature.com
2006 Jeep Wrangler Umilimited, 2008 Fleetwood Westlake

Happy_Trails
Explorer
Explorer
jbird68 wrote:
We've got these dumb locks on our camper. Half the time they don't lock securely. I just keep turning and turning and turning. The back hatch always feels like it's going to fly off. The front trunk never feels like it is locked either. There is also no indicator to tell you which way to lock or unlock. I could probably just write the direction on the camper with a Marker. But that would look cheap. Anyone else hate these stupid things as much as me?

Most locks turn clockwise to lock, counter clockwise to unlock.
(except in my Dodge Van, door on the left is backwards) ๐Ÿ˜‰
Bob & Nadine
1984 Allegro, always at home!
Living Life With a "Golden Age Passport"
and Thousand Trails VIP Membership, Priceless!
Home Park: Verde Valley.

Korean Veteran - 5th Regimental Combat Team
.....Every Mission assigned,
Accomplished.....

onemilmhz
Explorer
Explorer
Locks on our pop-ups always cracked me up. I usually just leave everything unlocked. I don't want a thief tearing everything up to get in when they're going to gain access anyway. That being said, if it's the only method of securing a door or latch that can be a pain when stuff keeps coming open. If so you should be able to swap it out for a 751 or better yet, another type locking mechanism. There's usually some sort of retention clip on the back side you pull/slide out and the lock should come right out. Find another that fits the hole and you're in business.
TV - 2003 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4
TT - 1979 Holiday Vacationer (Hunting Lodge!)
Tent - Coleman Adler Creek

jbird68
Explorer III
Explorer III
The lock arm is spring loaded. When you turn it, it is supposed to retract and grip against the sidewall. When it doesn't I just keep turning the key, hoping it will finally latch. Turning the key continuously is a pain when you have it attached to a keyring.
Jbird68

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
that looks similar to a bike key. our lock rattles open on the road but like swamprat said, I just lock it to slow people down. they can open the canvas and be in in seconds.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Never seen a key like that, my Rockwood has a 751 key.. which anyone can open, but it works fine and in anyone wants in bad enough there is canvas right beside the door to unsnap anyway.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game