cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter Storage Question

LUVTOTRKCP
Explorer
Explorer
We have our camper stored in a wonderful heated building. I have not taken the camper off the truck or put the jacks down. We put it in about November 5 and will take it out in April. My qestion is what about the tires. With the camper on they squat a little, will they have a flat spot in the spring? Would I be wise to drop the jacks and take some weight off the truck. Or am I being silly, the tires are Michelin's, the truck is a dully, the camper weighs about 5000#

Thanks for your input
7 REPLIES 7

LUVTOTRKCP
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone
I have decided to leave it the way it is. Even if i do get a flat spot it will be tempory. I appreciate all your input.
Great Website!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get out and camp.

Life can be over in a heartbeat.

Enjoy it while you can, (and fuel is cheaper now) Go Far!!!!!!

Thanks

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
With old bias ply tires of years back there could be problems with flat spotting them but with radials I sure wouldn't worry about it.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

ajcal225
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be afraid of forgetting they and down and pulling the truck foward a few feet..

If the truck is on pavement/gravel, I wouldn't worry about it.

If its on dirt, get some 3/4" plywood and cut 2x2 sheets to park the tires on, and not worry about it. Check the pressure every couple of months if you're concerend.

white30
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of this happening, but it is possible if you let the jack downs while it is still attached to the truck for long term storage, and you get a flat, it could damage your tie down points on your camper. Maybe disconnect the camper from the truck and then take some weight off the truck?

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Bernard,

I would be more concerned with rodents. They love nice spots where they can have a family- don't ask me how we know.....

Tires- once they have a few miles to warm up shouldn't be a concern. Think about how often semi-truck trailers sit in very cold temps for a few weeks then are running at 65 within a few minutes. More of a concern with bias ply tires, not so much with radials.

John
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wagonqueen Truckster wrote:
Personally I would put down the jacks and take some weight off the truck. But then again, I am a big afraidy cat about everything.

X2

That's what I did when I'd leave mine on for a couple of months.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I would put down the jacks and take some weight off the truck. But then again, I am a big afraidy cat about everything.