cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter Water Damage

jspence1
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up my trailer yesterday after having it in storage since October. Walked in to a nice puddle on the floor. I have some softness in the floors and the roof is bubbling near the fridge. I went up on the roof and its soft too. looks like someone decided to remove my fridge vent cover on the roof.
14 REPLIES 14

jspence1
Explorer
Explorer
Update

The insurance battle ended today. After being denied three times I was finally able to get it covered.

The trailer was considered a total loss so I'm now in the market for a new trailer. Unfortunately we lost the entire season so I have a lot to make up for next year.

jspence1
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a call from my insurance company telling me they were denying my claim because the damage couldn't possibly have happened so quickly, making it an existing condition. So I called the adjuster and he informed me he hadn't denied the claim yet and was waiting to hear back from the companies he had showed the photos to. I also called the dealer the trailer is currently at and they told me the damage was definitely from the missing vent and it was definitely new damage. Looks like I have a battle on my hands.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a horrible time trying to post with my droid. A feature must be in there that tries to type for you, and is pain to try to go back and edit.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Agree that the blue tarp will cover it, but it's also abrasive and not breatheable, which you need. For the investment you have in a nice camper, I'd be inclined to spring for the Adco or similar cover and keep the whole thing covered. If you need to get inside during the winter, it has zippers that you just unzip for access.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

searfoss
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is here at home, after a major rain storm we always go out and do a cursory check inside. Found a roof vent had cracked one time we walked in and quickly used Duct-tape to fix it until I could purchase a new one.

A friend of mine buys a "new Blue Tarp" every year to cover his during winter so he doesn't have a surprise in the spring.
Poconos Pennsylvania
2016 Kodiak 286 BHSL
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
4X2 5.7 hemi 3.55 rear

RIP Mike, we miss you so much

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about this....not a good way to start a fun summer. I would strongly suggest you think about investing in a cover for winter storage. Hope they can get this fixed and get you out there ASAP. And thank goodness for insurance.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

jspence1
Explorer
Explorer
I think I may be covered by insurance, I had an adjuster over today and he thought it would be covered. I have my fingers crossed. I think replacing the roof and floor will cost a lot, and I have to assume that the one wall got really wet as well.

smccollamjr
Explorer
Explorer
Just something to consider for winter storage...our local fairgrounds rent winter storage in their pole barns. I can leave mine there for 6 months and it only costs $1/ft/month. The only problem is if yours isn't in the front you can't get it out until March. He parks them in there so tight you can't even get the door open once it's park. They get a lot of bird poo on them, but I'll take that over freeze/thaw damage.
2008 Jayco 23B
2006 CC Silverado 1500/5.3/3.42
Me, DW, & 2 Boys

tractorboy30
Explorer
Explorer
that sucks I to dread the day I open mine up after the winter to find it had leaked. I to have the skylight and I to don't like it but if not there I could not stand up in the shower so i guess i see why they put them in but still I can see it as a week point and ill have to keep my eye on it closely. I hope its not a big big fix as its camping time not fixing time good luck
Frank
Frank

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
This has always been one of my worst fears - to find a leak had occurred while in storage - it can happen to any of us!
I wish you the best of luck.

Scott

KFS
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry.

If it's any consolation (probably not) we keep ours at our home and I walked out to check it almost weekly. I never noticed a thing until my bathroom ceiling bubbled. THAT'S when we found the skylight damage.

Skylights. Bah! I'd rather they skip it and I'll turn on the light to shower.

Hope yours (and mine) aren't too bad.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Holy hell. Check line every week kofe
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

jspence1
Explorer
Explorer
looks like it will be fun ๐Ÿ™‚ No mice so that's good at least.

psa0298
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds miserable....I have found it to be very important to check on my rv at least once a month while in storage. I had mice take up residence for the winter.