cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yahoooo!! It's Home!

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer

I picked it up on Saturday, drove home and spent the next two days cleaning it, moving my stuff in and then camping in it in the driveway! ๐Ÿ™‚ I love it!! No issues coming up the mountain in 100 degree heat. Calvin (the truck) handled it beautifully. The floor plan of the Lance has a MUCH better weight distribution than my old Weekender, and is not as "front axle" heavy. Quite a smooth ride with no "porpoising" and considering the high winds in the desert where I got it, and how tall this camper is, very little sway. I don't plan adding the cabover struts.

Before I picked up the camper I weighed the truck alone at the scales with me, tools, all the tie down equipment and a full tank of gas (32gal.) Front axle was 3,460 and rear axle was 2,820lbs, for a total of 6,280lbs. First trip out with the camper I'll weight it again, but I'm certain I'm under my GVWR of 11,300lbs and WAY under my tire rating of 15,250lbs.

I'll post more photos in the future when I finish "making it mine" ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks all again for going with me on this journey, and a BIG shout out to Buzzcut for his invaluable information and help!

Cheers!
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992
13 REPLIES 13

RICKIM
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dak wrote:
a OCD anal retentive owner

Hey, I resemble that remark. :B

Nice looking rig! Congratulations! Good luck with it.....can't wait to see more.

Safe Travels,

Rick
2018 AF1140DB, 400W solar, Trimetric, Lifeline GPL-31XTโ€™s, rear deck,
2019 5500 Ram Crew, DRW, 6.7L-CTD, Custom TC bed, on board air, Front Rack

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Nice looking setup. Those 1055s are BIG campers with good storage. I bet you will enjoy for years to come.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best of luck Dak, that looks really great . It's nice to have an RV port to park it under.

Bob

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
Now that looks like one happy man!!!
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Nice Setup. all the exterior access looks the same as my 08 so I should be able walk you through any questions

See you on the road
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
dakonthemountain wrote:

Congrats.

I know you're happy about getting it, but I don't recommend doing the burnouts.:B
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Congratulations, Dak!

Gemini

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
pjay9 wrote:
Now that is a good looking rig. Tell us more. You have a vintage dually for sure...just keeps on trucking!

Loads of fun ahead!

Thanks pjay9!

Yup, I love my dually! I purchased it as the second owner around 3 years ago with 72k on the clock. It was owned by a OCD anal retentive owner who kept it in a garage and only used to pull a 22' fiver. The day he purchased it new he had the dealer put it in the body shop, strip all the badging/decals, etc. off it and paid $10,000 to have a new complete factory original paint job put on it!!! I was so fortunate to get this truck and I now have only have 95k on the odometer. I'm "sort" of like the original owner and it's maintained in pretty much "new" condition. I put Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks on it and it has factory overload springs. I thought of adding airbags, but it doesn't really seem to need them. I purchased Torklift Stable Loads from the application guide at Torklift, but they didn't fit. I thought it wouldn't hurt, but I guess I'll just leave well enough alone! I'll make another post soon about the camper specifically and I'm sure I'll have questions! It's the newest one I've owned.

Dak

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
congrats dak...having a floorplan that meets your needs is critical.

I am going to guess that you have MORE weight on the front axle and that is why the new rig handles better. Porpoising is usually due to being light on the front end...
Anyway...the scales will tell!

Enjoy your new rig...safe travles,
Bill

Thanks Bill,
Actually, my old camper didn't porpoise, but it was 50lbs over my front axle weight and I had to "readjust" things in the camper to counteract that. Just a poor design in my opinion (which of course is worth squat! ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) As you wrote, the scales will tell! ๐Ÿ™‚

Dak

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
congrats dak...having a floorplan that meets your needs is critical.

I am going to guess that you have MORE weight on the front axle and that is why the new rig handles better. Porpoising is usually due to being light on the front end...
Anyway...the scales will tell!

Enjoy your new rig...safe travles,
Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Now that is a good looking rig. Tell us more. You have a vintage dually for sure...just keeps on trucking!

Loads of fun ahead!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! There's nothing like a new toy. ๐Ÿ™‚
Thanks for sharing.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats and enjoy your new Lance.