cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Your biggest truck camper mistake?

Canadian_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Heading out on the road in a couple of days, for our first long trip with our new to us truck camper (having previously owned and travelled extensively with a travel trailer).

What is/was your biggest truck camper mistake?

Hopefully, we can learn from other's mistakes. I'm feeling excited but a bit nervous about travelling with the truck camper as opposed to a travel trailer.

Thanks!
Denis&Susan
French River, Ontario, Canada
2018 RAM Eco-Diesel 1500, 4 x 4, Crew Cab
2016 Evergreen I-Go Cloud 184RB
56 REPLIES 56

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
Though I like our setup overall:

1.I would not do a dry bath with a tiny shower again.
2.doing airbags 1st when SuperSprings was what it needed.
3. Backing up over a curb with the original flip down steps down. 13k does not stop for metal steps.
4. Not doing solar on day 1.
5. Not having an electric awning.
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

delosholly
Explorer
Explorer
Our first long trip was on I-40 through OK and NM. So bumpy it caused the TC to move in the bed, turning it at and angle instead of straight. We now have boards in the bed on each side that prevent it from shifting on bumpy roads. No problems since adding them.
I would recommend this addition, is some form.

Best of luck on your trip.
Del
Delos & Holly
2013 Camplite Truck Camper 10.0
2014 Ram 2500 Reg SRW LB
2012 Burgman 650

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
teambeeson wrote:
Being new to truck campers (coming from a VW bus world oh my) my biggest mistake was thinking I could jack up the camper myself, one jack at a time. After the camper starting "moving" off it's concrete block mounts into the side of my house I realized I needed help. Someday, when I win the lottery, I'll get electric jacks. They'll cost a little over two times what I paid for my '86 Six-Pac. LOL
You can do it by yourself.

I almost never have had help when jacking up any of the 3 campers and 1 jack-up utility body that I've owned so far. I do 5 to 10 cranks or pumps on each jack at a time, going in a circle around the camper, keeping the cranks or pumps even for each jack and watching what the camper is doing. I've never dropped a camper yet doing it that way.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Too much get-there-itis.

In two separate incidents we managed to back the truck/camper into another vehicle even though one of us was outside monitoring and giving directions. We have an agreed sign language to inform the driver. It did not help. The jack pads leave very nasty dents in the side of a car, much like a can opener...

Take your time and take a break when neccessary.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

rickjo
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to unload with one cabover strut still attached.Funny angles told me something wasn't right but three tries before I noticed the strut. DOH!

Rick
2019 F-350 4WD Crew Cab DRW 6.2 l gas engine (6500 lbs cargo capacity!)
2007 LanceMax 1181 loaded, King memory foam mattress (driver's side locker omitted).
"Leave the trail a little better than you found it."

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Biggest mistake, Not going to a Cat Scale the day we picked it up. That load range E blow out of a 3750 rated tire on I5 a few years later almost caused a roll over. Scaled it and went to 19.5s very soon afterwards for safety and peace of mind.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
realter wrote:
Not the biggest mistake, but I was having trouble with the little front window coming out and, fortunately, falling inside, onto the step going up to the bed. Finally figure out this happened when I left the ceiling vent open. Must have created a lot of suction.

Also, I would get someplace and find one of the drawers had come open, and stuff all over the floor. A bungee cord through all 3 drawer pulls fixed that.

just put child safety locks on the inside of the drawer (One on each side), clean look, no opening drawers on the road.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Left my camper plugged into my truck (which I found that Ram does not isolate from the factory to pull from the truck batteries) and killing my old batteries. So, I unplug it every time I stop (and new truck batteries).
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

teambeeson
Explorer
Explorer
Being new to truck campers (coming from a VW bus world oh my) my biggest mistake was thinking I could jack up the camper myself, one jack at a time. After the camper starting "moving" off it's concrete block mounts into the side of my house I realized I needed help. Someday, when I win the lottery, I'll get electric jacks. They'll cost a little over two times what I paid for my '86 Six-Pac. LOL

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great cross pollination!
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
~DJ~ wrote:
Off loading in Michigan :B

Now that is funny! ๐Ÿ˜„

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Off loading in Michigan :B
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Big_Rig1
Explorer
Explorer
Not buying one 50 years ago.

Big Rig (John)
04.5 Dodge Quad,3500,CTD,DRW,4X2,48RE, Ranchos, Tatman Wedgies
2015 Arctic Fox 990, 100W solar, power rear awning, Fox Landing, no generator, no oven

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
My biggest mistake was failing to swing the dually bracket into position when unloading at the campground. I had no trouble unloading and didn't even notice until it came to load the camper back up.
No way to do it with the brackets in without damage to the fenders. Luckily, I was able to lower the camper onto the back of the bed and extend the brackets, then proceed as normal.
2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, there were a lot of minor mishaps at the beginning. Just chalk it up to the, "period of adjustment" that we all go through. If you consider your TC and the Truck itself as a work in progress, you get there by degrees, as woes occur. Mistakes? here are but a few:
0. Leaving the jacks on.
1. Driving at first with the camper on like it was the same as my daily drive which was the self-same Dodge 2500.
2. Not really understanding where ten feet, zero inches H, and 86 inches W were.
3. Using the 12v feature of the 3-way fridge for a decade while traveling as the prop pilot would blow out while traveling.
4. Not going with solar much, much sooner.
5. Trying to use a corrugated plastic bed liner under the camper box instead of the current thin, rubber, sticky one.
6. having a camper with a front window at all, single pane windows, precious little insulation, and a moisture sensitive wooden frame.
The above snafus do not outweigh the positive, non-mistakes I've had, like
a. not so tall, narrow, 1745 pounds, wet; no air conditioner
b. paid for the first day I saw it.
c. We are SO used to this archaic box, we just keep fixing it up (mostly maintenance) until that not-so-far-off day when we cannot safely make it up the steps and into the bed.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar