cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wiring solar in a lance 1181

moss9994
Explorer
Explorer
I was wanting to put solar panels on the roof.
The camper is pre wired for solar.
I can find two sets of white and blue wires behind the cabinet front above the sink,where the gen start and tank gages are.
I can trace one set of the wires to the roof plug. I have had zero luck figuring out where the other set of wires go. I looked in the cavity above the bathroom mirror and only saw one set of blue and white wires. I am not sure where the second set of wires go.
I have one of those tone generators for tracing wiring. I canโ€™t get it to find the second set of wires.
I have talked to lance and they were some help initially but I still canโ€™t find the set of wires behind the battery box. I have taken the storage tray out and looked didnโ€™t see them. Took the panel off the bottom of the campe behind the battery box and looked all over no loop of blue and white wires anywhere I can find unattached.
I did find some blue and white wires that ran into what I will call the rear bumper area. I pulled on them a little and they werenโ€™t coming out easily. I was afraid to pull to hard and pull them loose if they serve some other purpose. There was no signal on them from the wire tracer connected to second set of wires from above the kitchen sink.
Is anybody familiar with the 1181 enough to help me figure out where I am going wrong trying to find the set of wires that go to the batteries?
Thanks Randy
10 REPLIES 10

BDMajor
Explorer
Explorer

I'm sure you've figured this out by now but for others that read this: I have a 2006 1181 Lance truck camper. The other half of the solar set up in under the step that goes up to the bunk. A dizzying array of stuff under there. It's behind where the circuit breaker and fuses are.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
A great resource for good solar info from very knowledgeable folks is:

Http://www.solarpaneltalk.com

I have also had good experiences with Renogy Solar. I have installed a couple of systems for folks that bought Renogy kits. The components were well matched with the application. I have had several occasions to contact their tech support for pre-sales and post-sales support. I have been pleased with their support.

I recently put a "budget" system on my little 5er using one of Renogy's Rover charge controllers. For the price it is a decent piece of kit. Definitely sticking with Midnite on my new rig though.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, Iโ€™m kind of a hoarder. I buy stuff and just hang on and on. Actually, I consider buying the 1121 one of the smartest purchases Iโ€™ve ever made. :B

On your solar project, you might consider installing a DC-DC charger that has a solar input instead of a dedicated solar controller. I installed one a few years ago, and while Iโ€™m not taking advantage of the solar input yet, I could very easily. In the meantime, I have up to 25 amps of charging current available whenever the truck is running. Redarc also makes a 40 and a 50 amp model, and if youโ€™re really needing to burn through a bunch of cash, they make the REDARC Manager30 Battery Management System that can do the work of six other expensive components.

Hereโ€™s a link to a topic I posted about my install.

Redarc DC-DC Battery Charger

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

moss9994
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin, wow you still have the 1121, itโ€™s looking good. Quite the upgrade on the truck from what you used to pick up the 1121.

moss9994
Explorer
Explorer
Bighatnohorse thanks for the reply.
Found your write up on the lance forum. I am going to borrow your idea and do exactly what you did.
Just a follow up on the lance factory wiring. Best I can tell tracing the wires that are suppose to go to the battery box seem to end up above the kitchen cabinets next to the bathroom wall. Looking at the construction of the cabinets no way I am going to investigate if thatโ€™s correct, way to much to go wrong trying to gain access above the kitchen cabinets.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was never able to find the blue white wires on my 2014 model. There were so many construction discrepancies that I gave up and did my own 8 gauge wire installation.
It's pretty easy. I did a report on it on the Lance forum.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Randy. Long time, buddy.

Look familiar?

SF

NYC

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatโ€™s the wire size? Length of the run? You may want to do your own wiring. Personally Iโ€™m in parallel with 10 gauge from each 100 watt panel to the combiner box, 8 from the box to the controller and 6 from the controller to the batteries. See this chart:

https://www.windynation.com/jzv/inf/choosing-right-wire-size
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

moss9994
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply.
Was yours already set up with solar installed from Lance?
I wish mine was so easy to find.
I forgot to mention mine is a 2012.

flakjacket
Explorer
Explorer
On mine when the storage tray is out, on the left side there is a blue wire with a 10 amp fuse inline. That is the positive wire from the controller. The white wire goes to the ground block. My 1181 is 2007.
2005 Silverado 3500 LT, CC DRW 4WD D/A, Ride-Rites, Rancho 9000, Supersprings, Line-X, XM Radio
2007 Lance 1181, Fastguns