cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AMMO THROUGH CANADA

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Can ammo be carried from lower 48 to Alaska and back?
Thinking of shipping gun from Montana to Tok,AK. Would like to not need to buy ammo.
Can ammo be shipped?
40 REPLIES 40

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Better than a stick and knife. Of no concern to you.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
What use is a 40 in Alaska? Will just piss off a Griz or Bullwinkle, and the meth heads are of little concern to the summer traveller.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
I checked the website and it seems the ammo will not be a problem. However getting a permit to transfer handgun through Canada won't happen since the barrel length needs to be at least 4.1 inches. My .40 cal is shorter than that.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
sue.t's link above answers the question.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
tonymull wrote:
If it's handgun ammo I wouldn't even try. They will think you have a hidden handgun. For Alaska take a shotgun, declare it, do the paperwork, pay the small fee, make sure you have the ammo stored separate from the gun, and you're good. You are wasting your time if you're taking a handgun for bears anyway...not enough firepower, bring a 12 gauge. Besides you are just as likely to run into a grizzly in northern BC or Alberta as you are in Alaska.

This, I have done it twice, no issues. At the check point we spent about 30 seconds on the gun and 15 minutes discussing what poultry products we had.............
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

fishing2
Explorer
Explorer
Last July when we was in Alaska I was looking for something in the door and I found a shotgun shell in there. When we came back Canada asked me if I had any ammo I told them about the 1 shotgun shell. After several questions about if the gun was back in Wisconsin we where on the way to Dawson City. So there is no law but there will at lest be questions about the guns that use the ammo.
Hope this is some help.
Dennis
2001 Dodge 3500 CTD,1987 34ft Terry Manor and 1990 Lance TC
Ham Radio N9LWE
US Navy veteran VA-65 1965-1969 USS Forrestal and USS Kitty Hawk

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
From the RCMP
Home > Canadian Firearms Program > Information and Services for Visitors / Non-Residents
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/visit/index-eng.htm
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
A couple things here I see as common misconceptions. I am what some would call a "gun guy" and one who also reloads a list of calibers. Ammo is not considered an explosive nor is smokeless powder. Black powder is considered an explosive but modern "smokeless" powder is a "rapidly burning compound." In other words a pour a pile of black powder on the ground and throw a match on it and you will have an explosion. Do the same with smokeless powder and it will burn very fast but no explosion. Smokeless powder develops it's power from the expanding gasses being trapped inside the case and chamber of the firearm.
Also; I can't quote the exact law on this but do know there is a legal difference between a manufacturer or retail seller of ammo being able to ship their product and an individual trying to ship the same ammo. In other words I can buy ammo and have it shipped to me; depending on state and local ordinances. But it is illegal for me to re-package and ship that same ammo. Also, don't even think about trying to get around the law by labeling it as something else to ship, way illegal. Hope this helps, Jim.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Okay, I apologize, it was my understanding that commercial carriers could not carry any explosives(which ammo is) just like the USPS. What is funny is that I bought a bottle of wine in Kentucky brought it home anticipating I could send it to a friend in WI. UPS and FedEx both said NO LIQUIDS.

PS; I was led to my conclusions not by CA regs but Federal.

there are lots of state restrictons regarding the shipping of wine.
my DW worked in the Napa wine industry for 10 years and there are lots of states that don't allow wine from other states/countries to be shipped there.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RV'ng forum.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
If you can't even ship a bottle of wine to a friend in Beloit WI, what makes you even ask about shipping ammo. I'm talking USPS, FedEx, UPS or any other common carrier.

Go to a USPS office and look at the restrictions.

Sorry to be so abrupt but come on think.

Boondocker, not sure what you're saying there but you cannot ship AMMO intrastate in the USA without a special ATF&E license.......

I get ammo all the time from Texas and the Los Angeles area. It generally comes FEDEX. Last batch was about three weeks ago.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I apologize, it was my understanding that commercial carriers could not carry any explosives(which ammo is) just like the USPS. What is funny is that I bought a bottle of wine in Kentucky brought it home anticipating I could send it to a friend in WI. UPS and FedEx both said NO LIQUIDS.

PS; I was led to my conclusions not by CA regs but Federal.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, I get ammo delivered UPS and FedEx all the time.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
I think you have been mis-infomed. According to UPS, you can ship ammo(under 50 cal)via UPS within the 48 contiguous United States, all you need is to affix a ORM-D label to the package.
You cannot ship ammo via USPS.

I think the extra regs of CA is confusing them.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you have been mis-infomed. According to UPS, you can ship ammo(under 50 cal)via UPS within the 48 contiguous United States, all you need is to affix a ORM-D label to the package.
You cannot ship ammo via USPS.