cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big RV arrived in Zihuatanejo today

Talleyho69
Cocktail time on our terrace (while the jack hammer backhoe was tearing out a wall) and probably a 40 foot Class A drove by the house heading to one of our two RV parks.

No visible license plate. Our primary RV park at El Manglar, had no coaches as of Wednesday, and the other park, La Ropa RV park has the "regulars" in.

We'll check it out and try to report on what is here.

BTW, we are in Zihuatanejo!
10 REPLIES 10

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have been traveling everywhere during the last year. From PV to PDC, Zihua to Utah. It is a great time to be out and about. Everybody else is staying home.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
From 2000 to 2009 we boondocked just about anywhere without even a doubt. Then the cartels got crazy and we still boondocked and used a few rv parks for longer stays in one place.

We haven't been out since February because of Covid and most likely won't until our vaccinations, which are now supposed to be administered for our age group, in March. We'll see.

Under the current government, crime has taken a turn for the worse and things are pretty much falling apart thanks to Mexico's new "no confrontation" policies.

I still wouldn't live anywhere else but rving is becoming less and less attractive to us. We're not rv park people and our boondocking freedom has seemed to disappear.

We'll give it one more try in the Spring and see what happens. Then we'll decide. We miss being on the road. I'm in our travel trailer every day checking on something or cleaning something. We do happy hours in it and cookout under the awning. This wasn't the retirement I had expected. Boo hoo.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
In many cases the land became too valuable to remain a CG. Hotels,condos,supermarkets and even homes were built. In other cases the parks were family owned. The parents were old and the kids were not interested. Crime was a big problem. Still is today.Lack of government support for rvtravrl is non existent. A plethora of problems.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
I came across a 1999 copy of Mike & Terri Church's guide to Mexico Camping yesterday and thumbed through places I know in Mexico - specifically Mazatlan and Teacapan. It's staggering how many of the campgrounds listed as open in 1999 are no longer open. In many cases the campgrounds closed but the land the campground occupied remains vacant.
Unfortunately we did not start RVing in Mexico until 1999 but we did experience what it was back in the heyday.
First American campers stopped camping in Mexico - whether that was caused by the tech stock bubble bursting or September 11th I do not know but the tap was abruptly shut off. Even the Canadian campers use of Mexico trailer parks tapered off - maybe due in part to rising fuel prices in Mexico and currency exchange rates or maybe the media's coverage of drug cartel violence. Nine round trips to Sinaloa with an RV and 6 on a motorcycle throughout Mexico were safe and enjoyable.
In retrospect maybe $10 a night full hookup oceanfront campsites were worth more. Had we not been so stingy maybe the Mexico trailer park owners would have found the business worthwhile.

Talleyho69
I feel stupid asking this but where is Cruz Maria???

OK, I answered my own question by googling it.

Cruz Maria is a campgroud in Lo de Marcoa, Nayarit, Mexico.

iguana07
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just emailed a friend in Cruz Maria two occupied rigs and the same in La Parrota as of 5 days ago.
Chuck n Sandy
Roxy the Kelpie and Kiki the cat.

smn
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know about occupancy rates at Cruz Marie or La Parrota in Lo De Marco?

mexicoruss
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Penasco it's a diferent story, Playa de Oro park is 30% occupied, Playa Bonita is about 50-60% and the Reef RV Park is about 20%, Concha del Mar which is on the water but has no hookups has a good occupancy right now and there are rigs coming in everyday. I expect 4 large caravans starting in February and continung through March and into April.
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

Talleyho69
We checked El Manglar on Playa la Ropa last night and there wasn't a single rig.

RV park La Ropa has probably 10 rigs in.

coloradotallman
Explorer
Explorer
While not in Zihua, I have been in Mazatlan for two days now and can report the following: Baraka park; zero rigs. Mar-a-Villa, about ten. Las Jaibas, two occupied rigs. Have yet to go through the Punta Cerritos, which caught fire last spring, but then again, it was more permanent structures than anybody travelling through.