cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth-Wheel friendly gas stations alng I-75

holyman
Explorer
Explorer
Any one have a internet locations on list of fifthe-wheel friendly gas stations along I-75

from mich to florida
13 REPLIES 13

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
The Next Exit also comes as an app called IExit. Never have to buy the book again and it is much easier to use.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
mdamerell wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

5th wheel is 13' 4" and I have yet to find a station I couldn't get into/out of. I've had more issues in CGs than any station.

You're luckier than these guys then ๐Ÿ™‚ Maybe it's regional but many times the canopies are only 11' to 12'.

5th wheel takes out canopy

Trailer almost takes out canopy

Moving van hits gas station canopy

Gotta look............UP! :B

It might be regional, I drove a fuel tanker for 17 years, and I never found one I couldn't fit under, and I was over 13' for my semi.

I do not worry about any gas station in my area.

I also never do a pull test when hooking up to my 5er. I get out and look at the plate when I hook up, just like I did while driving my semi. Sorry for getting off topic. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
mdamerell wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

5th wheel is 13' 4" and I have yet to find a station I couldn't get into/out of. I've had more issues in CGs than any station.

You're luckier than these guys then ๐Ÿ™‚ Maybe it's regional but many times the canopies are only 11' to 12'.

Safe travels and maybe we'll see you down the road one day :C

Gotta look............UP! :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Safe travels and maybe we'll see you down the road one day :C
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

mx727
Explorer
Explorer
Love's, Pilot Flying J and T/A are always good. Love's and Pilot Flying J have iPhone apps which make it easy to plan the next stop.
2017 Montana 3950BR

Road_Runners
Explorer
Explorer
Well Holyman did you get your question answered???
'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

jeb5
Explorer
Explorer
Love's are another good choice beside Flying J and Pilot. Speedway truck plaza are also very good.
Ford F-350, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4, Long Bed
Newmar Kountry Star 5th Wheel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
mdamerell wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
IF semi tanker can get in to delivery fuel I can get in/out to buy fuel........even if I had to back out.

Tanker trucks that deliver to gas stations don't always go under the canopy and are shorter than a regular semi. Tanker heights can very but are often 11' to 11'6" in height (reg. semi 13'6"). The 5th wheel can often be taller than a tanker. I know I am.

Since I only travel for fun, I stick to the truck stops and use the RV or truck lanes so I don't have to worry about it. I might pay a little more but I know I'll fit and the diesel I buy will often be fresher and less likely contaminated. I've pulled into some gas stations and the diesel pumps looked like they had not been used in months. Nozzle dirty and looked like stuff was growing on it. A tank of bad fuel can cost thousands in repairs.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

5th wheel is 13' 4" and I have yet to find a station I couldn't get into/out of.
I've had more issues in CGs than any station.

And I never use truck stops because of the diesel fuel all over the place.........pad, nozzle, pump.
I also don't carry a spare fuel filter and have never had a 'fuel' problem.

I like living on the edge...makes life more exciting :B

Ain't life good..........so many options/choices.

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
IF semi tanker can get in to delivery fuel I can get in/out to buy fuel........even if I had to back out.

Tanker trucks that deliver to gas stations don't always go under the canopy and are shorter than a regular semi. Tanker heights can very but are often 11' to 11'6" in height (reg. semi 13'6"). The 5th wheel can often be taller than a tanker. I know I am.

Since I only travel for fun, I stick to the truck stops and use the RV or truck lanes so I don't have to worry about it. I might pay a little more but I know I'll fit and the diesel I buy will often be fresher and less likely contaminated. I've pulled into some gas stations and the diesel pumps looked like they had not been used in months. Nozzle dirty and looked like stuff was growing on it. A tank of bad fuel can cost thousands in repairs.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Go to your nearest truck stop or RV store and get a copy of The Next Exit. It lists services at each exit along every interstate highway in the country. Businesses, including fuel stops, that are RV friendly are highlighted in red.

Not every Pilot/Flying J is easy in/out. Before committing to a fuel station make sure you can see a clear way out from the pumps. Keep in mind that some jerk may decide to park directly in front of you if space allows.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

Road_Runners
Explorer
Explorer
I totally agree with the post above. But, here is a bit more info.

What do you mean by fifth wheel friendly? I assume that you want to know if you can get into and out of the station without a lot of problems maneuvering. And, I have to assume you have a diesel tow vehicle.

Stations meeting these criteria are any pilot/flying J. Most truck stops are easy in, easy out. You can even use the truck pumps, but the etiquette there is to fill up and pull forward clearing the pumps for someone behind you before you go to pay.

Most stations have diesel now and they are usually located on the outermost set of pumps. I say usually as the diesel pumps under the roof at Flying J's are the center set of pumps. But, Flying J's always have a special pump island for the RV's. If your in doubt pull into the station and park out of the way and send a runner to locate the diesel pumps.

The National chain stations build there roofs over the pumps to more than clear the height of your fifth wheel.
'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
When you reach 1/2 tank........start checking out the highway signs at exits.

Then scope out the stations.

In 7 yrs. of FT travel I used just about any/every station when I needed fuel.

I have to maneuver that trailer in/thru CG's and into various sites.....so I can get fuel.
We traveled secondary/back roads and those stations are not as friendly as ones along Interstates.

When you need fuel.......get it.
It gives you experience which can make towing easier.....builds confidence :B

Personally I think folks make things too complicated when RVng and over-think/over analyze it.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Go to gasbuddy.com. Load the app on your phone. You can select what grade of fuel you want, including diesel, and the map will give the current prices. The map will help identify they location of the fuel station and you can judge before hand if the roads in and out are navigable. Gasbuddy.com is my best friend when traveling.