cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ft Collins to Laramie

tfdcc
Explorer
Explorer
is Hwy 287 from Ft. Collins to Laramie an easy tow with a 36 ft fifth wheel, or do we need to stay on Hwy 25 then Hwy 80? Thanks for the response, TFDCC
9 REPLIES 9

morphrider
Explorer
Explorer
It's Wyoming. Wind goes without saying. The use of my Reese SC WDH really helps that, I notice nothing. Stick to 60-65 top speed so everything stays in check!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
morphrider wrote:
Thats exactly what I was wondering Thom. It just seems like that last hill going on 287 is a real killer for my truck and toyhauler. Dropping me down to 40mph and floored. Love the route though, but if its easier towing from my house in Longmont, I will just go the extra few miles and go up to Cheyenne, then over to Laramie, then drop in to Walden that way.

It's a nice drive; done it more than a few times, one year in a blinding snowstorm. Won't do that again! Only "issue" would be the potential of a headwind heading westbound to Laramie.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

morphrider
Explorer
Explorer
Thats exactly what I was wondering Thom. It just seems like that last hill going on 287 is a real killer for my truck and toyhauler. Dropping me down to 40mph and floored. Love the route though, but if its easier towing from my house in Longmont, I will just go the extra few miles and go up to Cheyenne, then over to Laramie, then drop in to Walden that way.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
morphrider wrote:
How much easier is it to just go straight up to I-80?

Do you mean on I-25, north to Cheyenne, then west on I-80 to Laramie?

It's easy, for the most part. I-25 from Wellington to Cheyenne is a very gradual up hill, with it leveling off at the state line. Minor elevation change from ~5500 feet in Wellington to ~6100 feet in Cheyenne.

I-80 west from Cheyenne to Laramie is rolling terrain and an up hill that reaches it's high point at the Lincoln Monument rest area at the Sherman Hill Summit, exit 323. It tops out at ~8600 feet, then there's a drop from that point down to the Laramie Valley. Not overly steep/not overly long, just gear down for it.

morphrider
Explorer
Explorer
How much easier is it to just go straight up to I-80?

morphrider
Explorer
Explorer
That is my preferred route heading to Walden/Gould area. Easy pullings...

tmm2good
Explorer
Explorer
X3 Use it all the time pulling the trailer.
(way prettier than I-25 and I-80 as well)
18 GD Momentum 376
13 GMC Denali Dually D/A
Motorcycles / ATV's

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
1mtnman wrote:
Hwy 287 along your planned route is an easy tow. There are some passing lanes to allow for slower vehicles.

What he said! You're going uphill, since Laramie is at a higher elevation, but it's gradual. There's plenty of passing/climbing lanes along the route. The "steepest" point will be in the area of the state line, where you'll be approaching the top of the Laramie Ridge, the highest point on the route. It's simply that, the highest point, not difficult at all, and once you get over it, you'll drop down to Tie Siding, WY where the road will flatten out all the way in to Laramie. This route is popular with RV'ers, either headed to Red Feather Lakes and points west, or headed up to the Snowy Range west of Laramie.

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hwy 287 along your planned route is an easy tow. There are some passing lanes to allow for slower vehicles.