cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I 40 knoxville to Winston Salem

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
How is I 40 between Knoxville and Winston Salem? Lot of mountain grades? Roughly how long a trip is it?
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD
7 REPLIES 7

dedmiston
I just drove that way westbound a few weeks ago and it was gorgeous.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses. We're thinking about a trip that way near the end of September. Just trying to plan ahead.
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Did that route last October, no issues at all.

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
Work still happening at I40, I77 junction at Statesville but not a problem.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
The Gorge is not a big deal. The construction is done and aside from minor guard rail and landscaping things the road is open. Just fall in behind the trucks and be patient. Passing can be done if the trucks get too slow.

There is a long pretty steep downhill grade east of Asheville about 6 miles long. Gear down and don't ride the brakes. There are flashing signs that will tell you if you are going too fast. No real sharp curves in that stretch but just control your speed going down.

It's roughly 4 hours.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Its been 2 years since I came that way but I don't remember enough construction to worry about and the tunnels weren't a problem as were the hills and curves. I at that time was pretty long (73ft including trailer)and the Jake brake was good enough on the one long hill--Black Mountain. I was out past Winston last week and saw no construction at all. I am 81 years old and if I am ok most others should be. Be heading to Pigeon Forge in a couple of weeks so let us know how it goes.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you get past the Sevierville/Smokey Mtn Prk exit, within a few miles you will get into the gorge area with limited passing, a couple of tunnels and some curvy roads. I have done that a few times and with a LOT of truck traffic I was not comfortable with passing and being passed in those curves. THere has been bridge and lane work for the past few years and I don't know if it is finished or not.
I cannot comment on the route from Statesville to W/S. There was extensive work on ramps, lanes and widening in the Statesville area a couple of years ago. That area is growing big and fast.
Distance? 250-260 miles maybe. I remember being exhausted driving from Statesville to KNoxville. Knoxville to W/S ? 5-6 hours I expect
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow