cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sacramento to Bakersfield

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
I-5 or Rt.99- Which would be better pulling a 40' fiver? Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

shakyjay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Marv Hoag wrote:
I always take I-5 to Stockton then take hwy 4 over to 99. If you go I-5 you have to traverse hwy 58 into Bakersfield (traffic and signals) not fun. A large consideration is the time of day. 99 can get very congested during commute hours.

I agree that 58 is a mess but you don't have go that route. Can cut over on 46, Lerdo Highway or my preference Seventh Standard Road. All of those will bring you in at north end of town. Or as lanerd pointed out you come across at Panama Lane which will take you to south end.

As far as choice between 5 and 99 it is pretty much a coin flip as far as I'm concerned. At one time I was driving quite a bit between Sacramento and Bakersfield. I would switch them up just for a change of scenery. Time wise there wasn't a whole lot of difference, little faster on 5.
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the road conditions on Hwy 99 as the state has been doing a massive widening project on it north of Bakersfield. I would take I-5 to be as fast and less risk of traffic delays.

emorris548
Explorer
Explorer
I've driven both, but generally take 99. However on 99 be aware of the time you are traveling, avoid rush hour. Heavy commute traffic will be present in valley cities: Stockton; Modesto Merced; and Fresno.

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
lanerd wrote:

Personally, I hate both routes, but probably would prefer I-5. Much more boring, but you can make good time.

Ron

X2. 99 has too much merging traffic.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Instead of taking 46 over to 99 from I-5, why not just go down about 7 or 8 miles of Panama street. It meets 99 at the In-N-Out!

Personally, I hate both routes, but probably would prefer I-5. Much more boring, but you can make good time.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Marv_Hoag
Explorer
Explorer
I always take I-5 to Stockton then take hwy 4 over to 99. If you go I-5 you have to traverse hwy 58 into Bakersfield (traffic and signals) not fun. A large consideration is the time of day. 99 can get very congested during commute hours.
2000 Monaco Windsor 40
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2012 Chevrolet Equinox

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
We always take 99. It is flat where I-5 is at the edge of the foothills with lot of hills to grind up. It seems a little more fuel efficient to go 99. Lots of places to stop also along 99 for food and shopping.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer I 5. Much faster.I do not like all the side traffic on 99. My DS lives in Bakersfield so we go there 5 or 6 times a year plus on the way to Yuma there and back. People drive very fast on I 5, you swear at times there going to run over me when I am going 75 {not towing}
samsontdog:o:W

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
6 of one---half a dozen of other

Both are about same miles/travel time

We use 99 cause I hate driving Interstates......I avoid them like the plague
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31