cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beware!

moleary
Explorer
Explorer
We have been frequent visitors to Buena Vista Class A RV Resort in Orange Beach Alabama for several years. This is one of the nicest RV resorts we've every found. During our stays there, the management offered a special where for every 10 days you stayed at the Resort you got a free day that could be used at anytime. We had accumulated a few days and were planning on cashing them in this spring. When we called to make our reservations, the lady who we spoke with said they were under new management and were not honoring the the previous managements promotions. If they want to end the promotion, fine, but they should have honored those days already earned by their customers. While I feel this is a poor decision, it is perfectly within their right to so. But its also my right to publicly call them out. We were vocal cheerleaders for Buena Vista, recommending the resort to anyone we knew heading to Orange Beach. We will now use our voice to expose their poor business practices. Their are plenty of camping opportunities in the Gulf Shores/Orange Beach area. I will be taking my business to Bella Terra.
2012 Winnebago Tour 42 QD
ISL 450
25 REPLIES 25

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Isn't that a risk all customers take when they wait on a promotion. If the business is bought out they might lose that opportunity. The longer you wait to cash it in, the greater risk you will lose it.

I wouldn't bash the new owners for not fullfilling someone else's promotion. I'd let them know, politely, that you are disappointed that they won't honor it and then move on. It may be that they will provide better service, more desirable ammenities, and such - and those few days you "lost" will be nothing compared to what you gained.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
That sort of thing happens all the time. It is possible new owners knew nothing about such a program when the park was purchased. Sellers sometimes hide those type of contingent liabilities. I have been confronted by previous guests of parks I have bought with all sorts of dubious, at best, claims. Fact of the matter is, almost all promotions end at some point in time.
It is a difficult decision to decide where to draw the line. Many parks have had special rates for certain guests because they are friends, past employees or relatives of the previous owner. Should the new park ownership honor those rates moving forward? Another common example is where the previous ownership has offered some free or discounted nights because a guest had to cancel and forfeit their deposit. After the park has sold, the old owner still has that deposit money and now the new owner is faced with putting someone in a site for free if they chose to honor the previous owner's commitment. Most park owners have to at some point stop giving their product away and start to make money. It's how they are going to be in business down the road. Whenever I buy a park and make the changes I feel necessary to have the park operate the way I want it to, I know I am going to upset some people. Unfortunately, that is just another cost of doing business.

moleary
Explorer
Explorer
BB TX, I've got to disagree. We were out there on social media talking up Buena Vista as a really great place to spend some time. Why, now that they've failed to meet my expectations, should I bite my tongue and wish them the best? I believe they've done a disservice to their loyal customers. My RV Park Reviews posting gave them a straight up 10. I firmly believe in recognizing outstanding service, just as I am fully prepared to report and failure. And, this is a failure as far as I'm concerned.
2012 Winnebago Tour 42 QD
ISL 450

classic_31
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't that be liabilities that should of been taken care in in the sales process so the new owner could honor the free days .without it coming out of his pocket.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
As a previous small business owner I can see it both ways. Ideally it would have been negotiated and spelled out in the sales process with those financial commitments of the previous owner deducted from the sales price. However the new owner is in no way obligated to absorb those costs. Likely they are carefully managing their cash flow to ensure they can provide all the necessary services without any hiccups during the new transition of ownership. No one here has any idea what kind of costs would be associated with that. It is certainly not something one should get on social media and begin bashing them in an attempt to hurt their business. Instead they should be wishing them well and hoping they can continue to provide the great park they are used to.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
I'm calling them now to let them know that they are making an ass of their selves. Ive had similar done to me and it pisses me off. Just talked to Buena Vista Class A RV Resort in Orange Beach Alabama. Talked to the asst mgr and she is going to look into it. I fibbed a little when I told her that there was a lot of bad comments that their management should have honored it. You may want to contact them in a couple days because it sounds like you may get a different answer. I did not say where I read your input
Dennis Hoppert

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
New owner should honor prior commitments and discount the purchase price accordingly. Rookie mistake which will cost new owner some business and goodwill. To make matters worse - the liability probably isn't much and it effects the best customers. Pretty stupid in my book.
Kevin

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Mike, what you experienced is called bad customer service! I would have honored it weather I liked it or not just to keep a loyal customer. Thanks, for the heads up I will never stay at that place.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Not necessarily the new owners fault, if this wasn't disclosed at purchase. Stinks I agree, but not worth ruining your day.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Did you post it on rvparkreviews.com?

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know, even though I tend to avoid places that have "Resort" in their name.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"