cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boston - Cape Cod area

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
We have a two week trip plan for the Cape Cod area in May. We plan to stay at the Boston/Cape Cod KOA for 14 days. Reservations have already been made. We're looking for suggestions for things to do in the area. We usually move every 3 or 4 days when we do our trips. This year we decided to stay in one place and do several day trips. We plan to visit Rhode Island, Connecticut, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, and Boston. We're looking for suggestions of boat tours, scenic and historic sites within a couple of hours.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300
42 REPLIES 42

railtrailers
Explorer
Explorer
Two of my recommendations for your consideration are: "Old Sturbridge Village" in Sturbridge, Mass and "Battleship Cove" in Fall River, Mass.

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:
Interested in this thread also for our trip to Boston.

Which CG within walking distance (we don't have a toad) for quick transport to DT Boston? Doesn't have to be upmarket or tons of amenities just somewhere safe to sleep at night = bit like ease of access for NYC from Liberty Harbour in NJ set up would work.

Thanks, FTW

A few weeks ago we booked 14 days for the middle of May. We originally looked at Normandy Farms but they didn't have any full hookup sites available for that length of stay.
Just a suggestion, I would book well in advance. This obviously is a busy tourist destination. Weekends are booked well in advance.

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
Great information. Thanks everyone for your posts.
We want to do a whale watching boat tour while we're there.
Any suggestions?

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to what has been mentioned, Plimoth Plantation.

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Interested in this thread also for our trip to Boston.

Which CG within walking distance (we don't have a toad) for quick transport to DT Boston? Doesn't have to be upmarket or tons of amenities just somewhere safe to sleep at night = bit like ease of access for NYC from Liberty Harbour in NJ set up would work.

Thanks, FTW
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Don't forget Salem. Lots of neat witch trials history there..
2010 Suncruiser

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Also, if you're baseball fans, a Sox game at Fenway is a must-do.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Boston Museum of Fine Arts is a very nice art museum, very well-respected and plenty large to fill a day or maybe more. The collection is pretty diverse. I found the gallery of New England impressionists quite interesting when I was there a couple years ago, partly because I had been pretty much ignorant of impressionism in America being much of a thing at all.

The Isabella Stewart Gardner museum, quite close by, is another entrancing art museum.

I assume you're probably already planning on this, but I would strongly suggest avoiding driving in Boston. Take public transit in and use transit or walking to get around. It is not a particularly easy city to navigate by car, and parking is not inexpensive.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I should plug my employer as well.

Biplane Rides
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

moebedick
Explorer
Explorer
Everything everyone else said plus:
Concord/ Lexington,where our Revolutionary War began.
Worcester Art Museum,probably the finestโ€smallโ€ art museum in the country, also housing a magnificent collection of arms and armor.
New Bedford Whaling Museum.
Chatham,Ma Coast Guard Station.
Cape Cod National Seashore,swim with the Great White sharks (if youโ€™re insane).
While in Worcester you can dine in some incredible restaurants that can match any sort of food you favor. Any country you can think of is represented. India, China,Tibet,Africa,Russian,French,Irish,Polish,Italian,etc. Plus we have McDonalds!
What more could you want?

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Cape Cod - Provincetown is "eclectic", but is the quintessential Cape Cod town. There are a number of ocean and bay side beaches to visit. The Marconi radio station in the National Seashore park was the sight where the first trans-Atlantic telegram was sent. You can also take a scenic train ride from Hyannis that goes o the Cape Cod Canal.

Plymouth is gearing up for the 400 anniversary of the Rock next year.

Marthas Vineyard is a good day trip. I'd take the Island Queen from Falmouth Harbor and spend the day in Oak Bluffs. There's a couple of public beaches and the Flying Horses carousel.

Newport Rhode Island and the mansion tours. I think The Breakers is the nicest one.

More stuff too do in Boston than I can mention. Top of the Pru or the Hancock Tower if it's a clear day. If you're into history you can follow the stupid red line (The Freedom Trail). USS Constitution if it's open or the Constitution Museum if not. Museum or Science for older kids and the Children's museum for the young 'uns. Also the Aquarium.

In Connecticut, Mystic Seaport is just 2 hours from the KOA.

Lots to do in 2 weeks. You may have to come back ๐Ÿ™‚

Great information. I thought we wouldnโ€™t have a problem filling in a couple of weeks. Thanks so much.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cape Cod - Provincetown is "eclectic", but is the quintessential Cape Cod town. There are a number of ocean and bay side beaches to visit. The Marconi radio station in the National Seashore park was the sight where the first trans-Atlantic telegram was sent. You can also take a scenic train ride from Hyannis that goes to the Cape Cod Canal.

Plymouth is gearing up for the 400 anniversary of the Rock next year.

Marthas Vineyard is a good day trip. I'd take the Island Queen from Falmouth Harbor and spend the day in Oak Bluffs. There's a couple of public beaches and the Flying Horses carousel.

Newport Rhode Island and the mansion tours. I think The Breakers is the nicest one.

More stuff too do in Boston than I can mention. Top of the Pru or the Hancock Tower if it's a clear day. If you're into history you can follow the stupid red line (what my kids called The Freedom Trail). USS Constitution if it's open or the Constitution Museum if not. Museum or Science for older kids and the Children's museum for the young 'uns. Also the Aquarium.

In Connecticut, Mystic Seaport is just 2 hours from the KOA.

Lots to do in 2 weeks. You may have to come back ๐Ÿ™‚
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
i will be following this...

we are planning on staying in the cape cod area in 2020 early september.