cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colorado Springs area

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are in the process of planning a trip out to the area and my main question is what is the weather like in mid to late June? Temperature wise and wind wise just cautious thanks for anyone taking the time to answer
14 REPLIES 14

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies it is all very helpful. I have never seen humidity in Florida as low as 15%.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Admittedly I have lived in the Denver area for 54 years, not Colorado Springs, but our weather varies very little from theirs. My house is at 5800 ft. and Colorado Springs is at 6000 ft., but we are both at the foot of the mountains on the plains, not IN the mountains.

Yesterday our humidity got to 70% during a thunderstorm that dumped 0.68" of rain in 3 hours (I have a met station in my backyard) and our high temperature before the storm was 85 degrees. A week ago, our high temp was 97 degrees and the humidity was 15%. Have you ever seen a humidity of 15% in Florida? June here is very little different than July--maybe a little cooler and a little more humid on average, but not much.

As far as wind, in summer it generally occurs in association with cool fronts and thunderstorms and gets to perhaps 40 mph. But we don't have 100 mph chinooks this time of year and we have very few tornadoes compared to all those states you will have to drive through to get here. Chinooks occur mainly in November and March and tornadoes in April-May. And, BTW, your RV will be in 65 mph winds all the way to Colorado if you are driving at 65 mph on the Interstate highway!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Pine Barren wrote:
My wife and I are in the process of planning a trip out to the area and my main question is what is the weather like in mid to late June? Temperature wise and wind wise just cautious thanks for anyone taking the time to answer

The only thing no one has said - "If you don't like the weather right now, Just wait a while, It will be changing"

BUT that's the great thing about Colorado, you can generally get the weather you are after, sometimes you just need to wait a bit.

So yes it can be Windy - but it can be Not so windy - it can be rainy but will quickly dry out - one thing that it almost always is is Sunny, with low Humidity.

We have been there in every season and can say that if you move around a little you can experience every season, in almost every month. Oh how I love to be in Colorado.

Best of Luck and hope this helps,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Information for the altitude and climate:

You will be at 6000 plus feet of altitude and usually low humidity. You need to make sure you drink lots of water and some people can be affected by altitude sickness, especially as you go to higher altitudes. The sun is also more intense at this altitude, so be sure to always wear sunscreen.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

All58Parks
Explorer
Explorer
We were there last month, during the third week of June. The weather was pretty warm, upper 80's, so 10 to 15 degrees above the average. We got a couple of passing sprinkles and that was it, but thunder and lighting a couple of afternoons. It was pretty windy most afternoons, but never enough that I would have been concerned about towing in it.
2014 Wildcat Maxx 26bhs
2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
About the humidity... the Colorado Springs area is almost considered a desert climate. It was very dry compared to the humidity levels in St Louis area, so I'm sure you will consider it dry too.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
@2oldman no don't remove it sorry that is also helpful didn't mean to sound bad guess it just came out the wrong way.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Pine Barren wrote:
It sounds like the temps will be great that time of year especially compared to what we have here in Florida. How is the humidity out there?

Humidity is generally very dry but that can change depending on if there are afternoon thunderstorms. If it does rain, it will usually dry up pretty quickly once the rain has stopped.

You had asked about wind. We went from our house down to Santa Fe, NM area during the last day of May for about 4 days. Going down to NM, it was horribly windy with thunderstorms. On the way back, not much wind at all and a much better drive/tow.

As already hinted, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. If you are going to go to elevation, above 8000' although it happens at lower elevation as well, make sure you bring rain gear and warm clothes. If there are thunderstorms forecast, make sure and start your day early and expect to possibly end a hike early, noonish, if thunder clouds start building... keep on your toes about approaching weather. Do not get caught at elevation outside (hiking, mountaineering etc) if you start hearing thunder or see those large thunder clouds building.
I love me some land yachting

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pine Barren wrote:
..info from people instead of looking at graphs is very helpful
I can remove it if you find it offensive.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Thank Barry that is good to know. I'm a born and raised Florida guy so this info from people instead of looking at graphs is very helpful. It sounds like the temps will be great that time of year especially compared to what we have here in Florida. How is the humidity out there?

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
Mid to late June is a bit early for the regular monsoon moisture flow that typically starts in July. However afternoon isolated or scattered thunderstorms sure wouldn't be out of the question at all. Temps can be anywhere from mid 70's to upper 90's that just depends on the weather systems in place at the time though mid to upper 80s is probably the average. Not uncommon for their to be a 30+ degree temp swing between the high and low of the day. There can be what they call high based storms in the afternoon which means typically high wind while the storm passes by with little to no rain as it evaporates before it hits the ground. And then on other hand it could dump for 20 minutes with an inch or two of hail on the ground. Just like many other places if you don't like the weather check again in a few minutes it may be different.
Expect nice weather but be prepared for high winds(ie dont leave your awnings out if you are not going to be around), rain (ie have rain gear with you if you are out hiking) and hail (expect none but dont be too surprised to find yourself in a hailstorm).
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply that is some great info. Was the wind very bad driving in or out? I'll be pulling a 32 foot trailer

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
We were just there in early June. For us the weather was pretty consistent by being inconsistent. j/k

Most mornings were sunny but a little cooler. It would start to cloud up after noon and then typically rain in the afternoon. Most people we spoke to native native to the area said the mountain system makes it's own weather systems and what we experienced was fairly normal. We got rained on 6 out of seven days, but it was a short lasting rain (similar to afternoon So FL daily rains). We did experience hail 2 or 3 times, once while we had the top down on the Jeep.

Nights were certainly cool enough to wear jeans, sweatshirt, and have a campfire. Most nights we ran the heater to stave off the cool mountain air. Keep in mind for every 1000' in altitude you climb you will typically drop 3 degrees.

Hope this helps.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Choose any date you want
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman