cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gulf Coast State Parks.....St Andrews or Grayton

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
My DH and I plan to take our 11 y/o DGD to the beach in early June. We have stayed at Ft Pickens last year and will probably stay there for a couple of days this time but then want to move on down to where there is more to do and the shops and restaurants are closer for several more days. I have researched Topsail (kinda pricey) but very nice looking, St Andrews and Grayton. I have read the reviews on several places but would like some personal reflections from some of you that live in the area or have visited these parks.

Thanks in advance,

Sharon

They are booking up fast for that time period.
23 REPLIES 23

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I am going to make a strong vote for St. Andrews. We have stayed at all of the parks mentioned in this thread. Our favorites remain Ft. Pickens and St. Andrews. We have stayed at St. Andrews beginning in our tent camping and though four different fifth-wheels. It is far different now than when we first sent there and the ranger said, just drive through and pick out your site, come back and let us know.

The only problem with St. Andrews now is that reservations in the Spring are almost impossible. Regulars and Locals are waiting at the gate (on line) when reservations become active by date. I've had to give up several times.

BTW the ideal sites are 106-113 in the Lagoon area at St. Andrews.

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
We do not like Topsail! To many rules as it is set up like a resort(which it previously was). Almost like do not walk on grass. And the beach is to far away. At least a half mile bike ride then a looong walk to the beach. They do have a tram in place of the bike ride.

Love St Andrews and a short bike ride to beach.

If you do decide to go the Topsail, rather than going to their beach, go out the exit turn right go a couple of miles and you will find public beaches that are very nice.

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
littlemo wrote:
wbwood wrote:
How in the world can Topsail be pricey? It's like only $40/night and full hook ups, cable, pool and more. With that said, we've stayed at Topsail (2 years ago) and St Andrews (12 years ago). We much prefer Topsail. We are going back this April and will spend 3 days there and 3 days at Grayton. The only reason for going down to Grayton is because there were not enough nights available at Topsail when we made reservations back in November. Sites were limited. I would be making reservations now if you still can for any of those places. My preference would be Topsail, Grayton and then St Andrews. The only reason for me to pick Grayton over St Andrews (even though we've never been to Grayton) is because of the full hook ups and because it's away from the congestion of PCB.

No, I guess it isn't pricey for the value. I just have to budget a lot to even get to have this vacation. It really is a good price for what you're getting and maybe next time I can stay there. I did get reservations for St Andrews and my DGD is really looking forward to it. It looks like there is a lot there also to keep her busy. I'm excited and can hardly wait! Thanks for input.

Compared to other Florida state parks, it is pricey. Approximately 40% higher in price.

To answer the question, St. Andrews and Panama City seem to draw a younger crowd. There may be more things for your granddaughter to do there. Personally, I like Grayton Beach better (short walk to ocean) but there is not much to do except enjoy the beaches and relax. Not an ideal mix for a teenager.

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
How in the world can Topsail be pricey? It's like only $40/night and full hook ups, cable, pool and more. With that said, we've stayed at Topsail (2 years ago) and St Andrews (12 years ago). We much prefer Topsail. We are going back this April and will spend 3 days there and 3 days at Grayton. The only reason for going down to Grayton is because there were not enough nights available at Topsail when we made reservations back in November. Sites were limited. I would be making reservations now if you still can for any of those places. My preference would be Topsail, Grayton and then St Andrews. The only reason for me to pick Grayton over St Andrews (even though we've never been to Grayton) is because of the full hook ups and because it's away from the congestion of PCB.

No, I guess it isn't pricey for the value. I just have to budget a lot to even get to have this vacation. It really is a good price for what you're getting and maybe next time I can stay there. I did get reservations for St Andrews and my DGD is really looking forward to it. It looks like there is a lot there also to keep her busy. I'm excited and can hardly wait! Thanks for input.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
I have done St Andrews, Henderson, Topsail. And Grayton. My preference is now the FHU loop at Grayton. Not as busy as the others but close enough to enjoy what those places offer in attractions.

Ditto...but you won't go wrong at any of them.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I have done St Andrews, Henderson, Topsail. And Grayton. My preference is now the FHU loop at Grayton. Not as busy as the others but close enough to enjoy what those places offer in attractions.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

pasco1215
Explorer
Explorer
check out Henderson State Park in Destin. Very close to Walmart but you wouldn't know you are that close while in the campground.
HAPPY RVing! :W
2007 TIFFIN ALLEGRO BUS "R RV"
2004 Saturn SUV "R VUE"
Our Co-Pilot "PASCO" the pearl white schnauzer

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Been doing the Topsail thing for 15 years. Wouldn't have it any other way....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad