cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

It's National Fossil Day - Where's your favorite place?

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Today (Wednesday) is National Fossil Day. So where's your favorite place to see fossils? Doesn't have to be someplace like Dinosaur NM, Petrified Forest, or Florissant Fossil Beds NM. There are some great museums in this country, too. I've never been to the Chicago or NYC museums and the Smithsonian Natural History Museums had their dinosaur hall closed when we were there this summer. ๐Ÿ˜ž

So far, I think the Utah Field House of Natural History in Vernal is near the top of my list, although the "bone wall" at Dinosaur NM is pretty impressive.

A trip to the Burgess Shale in Canada would make for an interesting day of exploration.

So where's your favorite place to see fossils?
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)
27 REPLIES 27

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
lbrjet wrote:
We visited the Vernal State Park museum and 'the wall' this summer. Both were good. The flowers in Vernal were also impressive. Also went to the Red Gulch Dinosaur Trackbed, run by the BLM, outside of Greybull, WY that had tracks in a dry stone creekbed. Were hard to find, but there were several there.

We were there too. Loved it. It's closer to Shell.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
fossil,oregon

1rickw
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to make a snide remark about being a fossil myself, but a lot of you have taken my idea!
2004 Jamboree 26Q

+ great wife to travel with

:B
2012 Honda Fit towing 4 down with BrakeBuddy

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
We visited the Vernal State Park museum and 'the wall' this summer. Both were good. The flowers in Vernal were also impressive. Also went to the Red Gulch Dinosaur Trackbed, run by the BLM, outside of Greybull, WY that had tracks in a dry stone creekbed. Were hard to find, but there were several there.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Joggin's in Nova Scotia.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I have to vote for John Day also. Amazing place. But, here in the west where green doesn't cover everything, you can find fossils just about anywhere. I was in Barstow CA and there is a BLM campground just north of there and darned if while I was walking around I found camel footprints. Now in all honesty, I wouldn't have known they were camel footprints if I hadn't read the sign

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Bonefish wrote:
My house, DH is a geologist. All sorts of fossils here.

Sharon

I have to go no further than my own chair and no, I'm not a geologist. More like a living fossil when I look at what goes on around me.

Same here with my husband, I call him a "Fossil" all the time. He is getting closer to the saying "older than dirt". Sorry honey!

Sharon

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
John Day fossil beds between Prineville and John Day,Oregon

A unique and beautiful area and one where you can pay a donation to the local high school and dig for your own fossils. Add to that staying at the Fish House Inn and RV Park in Dayville for a wonderful experience. I still compare other RV parks to the Fish House even though there are only 8 or so spots, no campfires allowed... it rates up there as one of the nicest spots I personally have been to.

Of course there is Painted Hills to see, part of the John Day Fossil Beds units:

One of the lesser known gems of Oregon.
I love me some land yachting

pjsky
Explorer
Explorer
Murphsmom wrote:
The Mammoth Site at Hot Springs, South Dakota.

me also
No person is completely worthless ..... one can always serve as a bad example.

PAUL AND JAN

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a favorite, but I have a first- we were in Moab last week. There were multiple places for "Dinosaur Trails". We went to one and really enjoyed seeing real fossils in the rocks.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Bonefish wrote:
My house, DH is a geologist. All sorts of fossils here.

Sharon

I have to go no further than my own chair and no, I'm not a geologist. More like a living fossil when I look at what goes on around me.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
They have a day just for me? I'm honored.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

mrgreetis
Explorer
Explorer
I can't remember where it is in Texas, but there is a park by a river where they discovered dinosaur tracks in the riverbed. My daughter and family lived in McKinney and when we visited once we went there and saw numerous sets of tracks. Very interesting!!

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
The Mammoth Site at Hot Springs, South Dakota.