cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Levi Jackson & All Other Kentucky SPs; Never Again!

Turn_Key
Explorer
Explorer
Well, about a month ago my wife and I along with another couple spent a few days at Levi Jackson State Park in London, Kentucky. We were not very pleased with our stay and after our return, I took the time to sent an email to the State of Kentucky using their system on their state park site. I waited for any type of response but got none. I am forced to believe that they have little interest in their state parks or what out-of-state visitors think of them. I posted a copy of my email below. Thought some here might be interested. These are just my impressions and the impressions of those traveling with me. If you feel that I am incorrect, that is fine as all are welcome to their opinion.

"On 10/2/16 my wife and I arrived at Levi Jackson State Park for a reserved, 4-night stay. We were on a 5-week trip with another couple and this was our second stop. If we had known what we were driving into, I believe we would have left.
We were assigned to two sites towards the back of the property. The other coupleโ€™s site (H14, I believe) was fairly easy to get into but not very level. Also, his power post was so far from his trailer and on the wrong side that he was fortunate to have an extension power line and an extra hose. Even at that, he was forced to run on 30 amps even though his trailer is equipped for 50 amps.
The site my wife and I were assigned (H13, I believe) was such that to get in, I had to twist the truck and trailer around a tree, leaving my truck off the pavement (what pavement there was). This left my truck so off level in comparison to the trailer that I refused to un-hitch, fearing I would not be able to re-hitch when preparing to leave the park. Of course, this left my trailer less than stable, allowing it to bounce and shimmy every time somebody moved inside it. Additionally, even though the water spigot for this site looks to have been recently rebuilt, there is a significant underground leak causing the area around it and my site to be constantly wet and muddy. It should be noted that both of the sites described were alleged to be โ€œpull-thruโ€.
On the day we were scheduled to leave (Friday), the park had a โ€œGarage Saleโ€ scheduled. By Thursday afternoon I was beginning to fear that I would have trouble getting out the next morning. This was due to an extensive influx of โ€œcampersโ€ coming in and setting up their wares for the next dayโ€™s sale. I am not accustomed to the idea of โ€œFlea Marketsโ€ being run inside of state parks. In my home state of Texas, this is not allowed and after seeing the results in one of your parks, I am truly glad that we do not.
These are just two of a number of complaints I have about this park. Fixing just these two would vastly improve it.
I looked at the park pictures you have on your site. If all of the park looked (and was) nearly as nice as those pictures portrayed (Section D), you would have something to be proud of. As it is, I canโ€™t see us ever returning to a Kentucky State Park."

As I said above, these are my views as expressed to the State of Kentucky. Others are welcome to their view of this park.

Hope all have a great Thanksgiving, a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Turn Key and DW
Bentley, One Very Pushy Chiweenie
Sunshine, One Crazy Pug (I Guess They All Are!)
'03 Chevy 2500HD, 4X4, X-Cab, Long-Bed
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS ("Sunday Haus III")
Twin Kayaks, "The Ride" by Wilderness Systems
32 REPLIES 32

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Should have been at LBL during spring break weekend around the end of September. Cars, bikes skate boards, golf carts, wheelie boards, walkers and runners were so thick it was almost impossible to drive through the campground. We were tow old folks right in the middle of it all and we had a ball just watching all the others having so much fun! Got on the wrong road trying to find our site, took one ranger, and four campers to get unwrapped from a tree.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are certainly not incorrect in how you feel about this (how you feel is how you feel), I do not agree with you about condemning the entire Kentucky State Park system based on your one experience.

When you make a post and express an opinion that most other RV.net members do not agree with, what kind of responses did you expect to get? Of course you are free to express yourself. And others are free to disagree with you and express themselves in doing so.

We recently spent several weeks in Kentucky at several different state parks, although not the one you mentioned. We were out of state campers. We found them to be well run and we enjoyed our experience. Campground hosts and DNR employees were very kind and helpful.

We were at one state park during a week that included Halloween. The CG went from a nice quiet CG with just a few campers during the week, to a jam-packed CG with tons of people, large inflatable halloween decorations, music, cavorting and of course trick or treating by the little ones. This isn't necessarily our normal or expected camping experience. But you have to learn to roll with the punches and get along.

You voiced your concerns to the park system so you've done your part.
It would be nice if they acknowledged your email, but they are under no obligation to do so. Consider this: They had a campground full of happy people participating in their Garage Sale. They had one discontented camper.
Easy solution for you - Move along and don't camp there anymore. (It appears you've made that decision.) As for me, I will HAPPILY return to Kentucky to experience their beautiful and well-run state parks.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Having used SP CG's for most of my camping experience I'm pretty sure all of the things the OP is pointing out as negatives could have been gleaned directly from the SP website with a little effort. As far as not responding, they can't or won't change the campsite or cancel an event that brings in revenue so I'm not sure what they can say that wouldn't be a waste of time.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Thanks goes out to the OP for the heads up!

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
Turn Key wrote:
Sorry, guys. Didn't mean to open a "can of worms" here.
Wishing you all a Great Thanksgiving, a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

No can of worms--- it's just backlash from your lack of planning.

You failed to do your homework to find a site that would meet your requirements. Then to come here and go on and on and on about it.

Wishing YOU a Great Thanksgiving, a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! And the same from Kentucky State Parks---I'm sure!
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at 2 Kentucky State parks, Carter Caves and Boonesboro. At Carter Caves, some of the sites are way off level, but the majority are fine. I don't remember any problem in Boonesboro. I will say in many state parks, there are sometimes issues with the way the entrance to many sites are laid out. Many times the site itself will accomodate your trailers length, but it's difficult to get that size trailer into the site because of the angle of the site from the road,because of narrow road ways,trees,posts,rocks etc. The same holds true for many federal campgrounds. We were in Yellowstone in May. The site were given was a pull through. We had no problem getting in, but we could not pull through because of trees. We had to back out which was ok. But why have a pull through site if you can't pull through? I think the problem is the people who design these campgrounds don't have RV's and have no clue what it takes to get different types or RV's into a site.

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in one Kentucky SP and it had everything you could want in a state park except decent camp sites.We visited several others and found them the same. We changed to the Daniel Boone NF campgrounds and visited the state parks during the day.
Found every state has the small campsites in older parks. We just check them all out more carefully.
With a complaint we usually call.

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
We camped in a KY State Park last year...It was a little different than the ones we are accustomed to using in TN and GA. We adapted to the situation, glad we had our extra power cord. We parked on the pavement...everyone else parked on the grass and used the pavement. We also noticed some of the good spots, the trailers had been on them all summer. They bend the rules just a little. Overall, we had a good trip...just a little different.
Mark

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Turn Key wrote:
... these are my views and I would assume that they would be taken that way. ...

You are correct. Your view is your view! And you are entitled to it!

You've got to remember though, anything you post on these forums will be picked apart, like kernels on an ear of corn! One thing is certain about these forums ... everyone who posts has a lot of passion about their perception of RVing and Camping in general. AND .... YOU are entitled to yours too!

Keep posting. Next thread will be totally different! You'll see!

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Your post and letter must be a joke, that is the only thing that makes sense.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

kyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
We've been using Ky State Parks for about 35 years, and I agree they have done very few upgrades during that time. When the campgrounds were set up campers were mostly much smaller and most of them were trailers, which are much easier to level. We have frequently found leaky plumbing and hookups that were far away and on the wrong side. However, they have managed to keep them open and most of them are in great places and are inexpensive. We always enjoy our visits, you just have to be aware the area is the destination, not the campground. As long as you're aware of the shortcomings, you'll be ok. I agree they should have answered your complaints. Happy Holidays.
Janet & Ralph
2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Havent been there, but looking at the pic posted of H14, that seems pretty level overall to me. Been to far worse. Looking at H13 online it looks decent too, so not sure what the issue is/was getting access. they both appear to be pull thru's.

The flea market - are you saying they had the flea market right there in the campground? Or elsewhere in the park. If elsewhere, not sure why the complaint. Kinda a PITA maybe getting in and out, but....

Not sure it rises to the level of boycotting Kentucky, but that's your call.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Turn_Key
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, guys. Didn't mean to open a "can of worms" here. My only thought was to make others aware of what I ran into and the state's failure to respond to what I thought to be legitimate concerns. As I pointed out in the post, these are my views and I would assume that they would be taken that way. I had no intention of raising folks ire, as it appears I have.

Wishing you all a Great Thanksgiving, a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Turn Key and DW
Bentley, One Very Pushy Chiweenie
Sunshine, One Crazy Pug (I Guess They All Are!)
'03 Chevy 2500HD, 4X4, X-Cab, Long-Bed
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS ("Sunday Haus III")
Twin Kayaks, "The Ride" by Wilderness Systems

mudmaker
Explorer
Explorer
The only real issue would be the apparent water leak that the park should need to address.
I can guesstimate you drove in on the wrong path if you did indeed back into your spot. Or you were just trying to have front doors face each other.
As far as your friends electric requirements, it says what's available when reserving the campsite. Did you miss that?
The difference really is rving vs camping. This is no rving spot! Try some places with at least double or triple the price. That would be a start on what your accustomed to.
Happy rving.
Glen and Loretta
Marc, Jake, Kirsten and fur kids Dexter and Bernie
2017 KZ Venom 4114TK Toy Hauler
2015 GMC Acadia
15 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
11 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax