cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looking for a CG recommendation near Disney World

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I know it is snowbird season in Fl. We have family going to Disney World the end of Jan 2016, FW is booked for the time needed. We currently have reservations at one of the Disney resorts. My dilemma is that we are meeting some snowbirds friends at Tomoka SP in Ormond Beach and I already have a site reserved there and it is two days after our departure date from Disney. I really don't want to drive home to get the TT only to drive right back past DW to head to Tomoka. Can anyone recommend a CG near DW? This would save a lot of gas and money if I can make one long camping trip out of it. Thanks for the help and remember, there is no substitute for experience.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience
16 REPLIES 16

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
OP already has his reservation, but we enjoyed the Orlando/Fort Summit KOA in Davenport when we were there. Free shuttle to/from Disney with one drop off and 2 pick-up times.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Bears Den wrote:
RVCrazy, you hit the nail right on the head. After trying the website and calling countless times from the day of this original post, a premium site opened up. We will now be doing 6 nights at Ft Wilderness with my stepson and his family who are coming down from Charlotte. After we leave there, we will be going to Tomoka SP in Ormond Beach to spend 4 nights with snowbird friends of ours. Looking forward to the trip, perseverance paid off.
Good deal - but remember that there are plenty of state parks in the area as well - and they all usually have walk-up sites available.

Tomoka is a great place to canoe. The park rents them at reasonable rates. Have fun at mouse land!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
DavidP wrote:
Years ago we stayed at Tropical Palms. If we could not get into the Fort we would stay there again. I recall it being a very nice CG. Certainly no FW but nothing really compares.

We second Tropical Palms......sites are small...dated campground...but clean and ok in a pinch..Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Glad it worked for you. Have fun!

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
RVCrazy, you hit the nail right on the head. After trying the website and calling countless times from the day of this original post, a premium site opened up. We will now be doing 6 nights at Ft Wilderness with my stepson and his family who are coming down from Charlotte. After we leave there, we will be going to Tomoka SP in Ormond Beach to spend 4 nights with snowbird friends of ours. Looking forward to the trip, perseverance paid off.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
We just got home from a week at the Fort. Most nights it seemed full but some empty sites on a couple of nights. All loops appeared to be open. We too use Tropical Palms as our second choice. It is about 8 to 10 minute drive to EPCOT from there. A couple of times we have stayed at the KOA in Kissimmee which is just east of Tropical Palms a short distance. There is a Camping World and other shopping, such as Publix Supermarket close to the KOA and to Tropical Palms. While not as handy as staying at the Fort, the ones above are certainly acceptable to us.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For previous posts search this Forum in the RV Parks section for Disney World
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

RoadVenture
Explorer
Explorer
Trimble Park in Mt. Dora is a nice Orange County run campground

http://www.orangecountyfl.net/CultureParks/Parks.aspx?m=dtlvw&d=40#.VnIb0HarTIU

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Citrus Valley in Clermont is only about 6 miles from Disney. Very nice park, but not really cheap. They were advertising some buy l, get 1 specials but I don't know if they have expired or not.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
I'll second Tropical Palms. Only a few minutes from DW, and right near Old Town and Fun Spot. They have a decent pool with an adjacent snack bar, a nice lake (that this summer had a population of 3 gators and a few turtles), and the usual mini-golf and other outdoor games. They also have cottages for non-RVing friends and family. Groceries and other stores are very close.

We go there several times per year.
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Lake Louisa State Park in Clermont if you can get a site. Not too far from Disney and some of the sites are full hook up. And the price is right.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
RVcrazy wrote:
Keep trying Fort W. Something is likely to open between now and then.

Yep, Jason at Mouse Counselors has been able to work magic getting dates for different people.

http://www.mousecounselors.com/meet-our-mouse-counselors/

In other news, you can park your TT in the parking lot at whatever hotel you're staying in.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Keep trying Fort W. Something is likely to open between now and then.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stagecoach in Winter Garden?

Lake Whiporwill KOA.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"