is there a quiet place to park?
a nice park?
thanks all
2006 Itasca sunova 29r
24 REPLIES 24

Sailordive
Explorer
Explorer
There is a city park in Monterey with a campground. No hookups but a quiet place in a residential area.
2013 Sportsmobile Sprinter

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks
marina dunes ONLY had spaces right next to the highway to travelers.

we will give carmel by the river a try, knowing there are backup ones available.
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
I have stayed many times at Betabel and the sites are far enough away from the freeway so you don't hear the freeway. I stay in the lower part by the railway tracks and the trains are infrequent and quiet. All you hear are the wheels...no horns. It is about a 35 minute drive to Monterey but the spaces are larger and the park is quieter. Moss Landing KOA is very convenient but the spaces are somewhat tight and it is fairly expensive. Marina Dunes is another option but it is right above highway 101 and you will get the noise. November is when I go and it is a great time of year. Plus the Dungeness crab season opens on November 15th! Enjoy your trip!
Lakejumper

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
2012 Chevy Equinox

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
anon125 wrote:
EsoxLucius wrote:
We stayed at Betabel in San Juan Bautista. Nice RV park, minutes to Monterey. The whales, seals and birds were great at Moss Landing, and +1 for Phil's.

32 miles to Monterey... next to the 101.
how was the traffic noise?
thanks
Not bad, there is also the Amtrak on the other side.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
we will be near monterey next week - early nov 2014
thanks
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Saddle Mountain CG is good and quite close to Carmel. Have been there 3-4 times and enjoyed it. If you're a golfer, you'll pass the beautiful Quail Lodge golf course on the way into the CG.

Big Sur is extremely popular and could be hard to get into.

There is camping at Laguna Seca Raceway which is interesting and a unique experience. If you want to go during one of the highly popular events like the annual Monterey Historic Races, plan on booking a year in advance. Have been to the Historics many times but not with our TT yet, but hope to do that within the next few years. I even met Jay Leno once there and got his autograph before he got rich and famous doing The Tonight Show. We tent camped at the races once in a tent and woke up in the morning to find ants crawling all over the ceiling.

If you happen to arrive in the Monterey area in mid-August, it is total insanity because the Monterey car races are on, as well as the Pebble Beach and Concorso Italiano Concourse events, several car auctions (with high-end cars), and a car rally or two. It's packed with well-heeled people from all around the US with lots of money to throw around. Great place to take your Ferrari or Lambo around for a cruise.

I don't know of any specific CGs, but I imagine there are some north of Monterey and to the east around Salinas which wouldn't be too far a drive away.

Man, just thinking about this makes me want to go back asap...

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:
We stayed at Betabel in San Juan Bautista. Nice RV park, minutes to Monterey. The whales, seals and birds were great at Moss Landing, and +1 for Phil's.

32 miles to Monterey... next to the 101.
how was the traffic noise?
thanks
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks - I understand the road there is a problem too. there is also another park nearby
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
anon125 wrote:

Why is it calledmoss landing koa EXPRESS?
Thanks

No tents, no cabins, self contained only.

Wavesprite
Explorer
Explorer
The Santa Cruz KOA north at Costanoa is nice, but isolated. The one South in LaSelva is a really fun family destination and nice. We've camped there, but not anymoer, it is SO expensive at around $85 a night!!!! The Moss Landing Express KOA is just basically a parking lot in the Marina.

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lots of quiet in that area. Great tool for finding them
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
You could try the Moss Landing KOA. It's a bit pricy and the sites are a bit close together, but its about 30 minutes north of Monterrey, very clean, and very quiet. It's also big rig friendly.

Also, within walking distance is Phil's Fish Market and Phil's Snack Shack. Great seafood, and great breakfast/lunch offerings. The Snack Shack opens very early as I recall.

Why is it calledmoss landing koa EXPRESS?
Thanks
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone stayed at the santa cruz koa?
Thanks
2006 Itasca sunova 29r