cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RGV in the Summer

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to experience a Summer in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas this year. I usually enjoy winters here but wanted to find out how I liked 12 months of it. First off, it is hot, like thirty days of triple digit in a row hot. I expected that. I don't like it. I do like the lower traffic volume and the smaller crowds in the stores etc. The dancing is still good at three or four times a week. The wind that we get sick of in the winter gives some relief in the summer. There is a certain camaraderie among the year around folks. Many do a reverse Snowbird thing and head for the mountains of Colorado for some relief. Electric bills are outrageous, but the parks lower the rent to offset some of that.

All in all, I would rather spend summers where it is cooler, but if I have to.......... Heck, I would rather spend some of my winters somewhere else too, I seem to have made my nest down here. Did I mention that it is 102 degrees actual temperature here today?
11 REPLIES 11

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
Thanks for the update. So tell me, what is SPI like during the worst part of the summer? I hear it's where everyone goes to escape the heat.

There is a catch. SPI is usually about 10-12 degrees cooler than the RGV, but it is also the busiest time of year. There have been some pretty long waits to get on and off the Island on a few weekends.

That doesn't sound fun at all! I was told once that the parks on the island will have 1-4 units per site, and is crazy on the weekends.

Does explain why the winter Texans are so warmly welcomed in the off season.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
Thanks for the update. So tell me, what is SPI like during the worst part of the summer? I hear it's where everyone goes to escape the heat.

There is a catch. SPI is usually about 10-12 degrees cooler than the RGV, but it is also the busiest time of year. There have been some pretty long waits to get on and off the Island on a few weekends.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Captain_Happy wrote:
All I can say is: Hot & Humid not part of the country I want to be in during the summer months.

Agreed. I am researching where I might live when the time comes that I don't feel like Snowbirding any more. I like "Chasing 75 degrees" as much as anyone. There are millions of people that live year round in the Sunbelt, so it must be doable.

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
We are doing the same in Rockport, TX! From noon till 4PM, we watch TV, shop, or happy hour. After 4PM we can sit on our patio with a fan. We do get a nice bay breeze from the south and the pool is shady after 3. Actually monitoring the STL area, there are many days where we have less humidity here...lol!

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
All I can say is: Hot & Humid not part of the country I want to be in during the summer months.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:
We are likely to stay in the Valley once it becomes too difficult to go back and forth to MN.

That is why I am doing the test. Who knows if and when that day will come? A metal carport over my travel trailer is more of a necessity than a luxury. It is wonderful for living in a travel trailer. The other thing is to have good Internet and television.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
We are likely to stay in the Valley once it becomes too difficult to go back and forth to MN.
pawatt

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
100/80 breezy and sunny has been the forecast for the past and future month.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Triple digit in a house and triple digit in a TT/RV/5er are too different animals.

Curious, what are the lows? When we lived in central CA, there was usually a 30 degree differential. When it was 100 for a high, it was still nice early morning. Now once it hit, 110, it was just bad period.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Well, for my liking, you can keep your triple digit temperatures. I'd rather have 3 feet of snow. :B