cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toronto to FL, Newbie need some advices.

peterkwok
Explorer
Explorer
We just ordered a jayco X213 and will towed by Ml350 Bluetec. We plan a trip from Toronto to FL around beginning of Feb. ( Depend on the weather condition), this will be our first RV trip. We ( my wife , my 6 yearโ€™s old husky and I) will live in FL about 2 months, 1 month in center FL , another month in south FL. We are a newbie for all about RV, include driving TT and RV parks. Weโ€™ll go I75 just because I have a Dave Hunterโ€™s book โ€œ Along I-75โ€. Maybe weโ€™ll drive 5-6 hours a day. So we need some advices about following questions.
1.We will live in hotel in first stop. But we donโ€™t know if we can park in some RV parks from second stops, the lower temperature may be around or below 0C. If we can, what is we need to do? Just open furnace?
2.Any suggestions for stops ( RV Parks) on my road?
3.Any RV park in center and south FL suggestions? We hope live in a good RV park, my dog welcomed and have a good WiFi. Do we need to reserve the RV park first? How long time we need in advance?
4.Whatโ€™s the different between Good Sam Parks, Private Parks and State Parks?
5.Any other advices?
Thanks,
21 REPLIES 21

63-Coupe
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear you made it safely.

peterkwok
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for everybody's reply, we are arrived in FL smoothly and safely. All your suggestions are very useful for us.

Peter

peterkwok
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks GLaidlaw , I will.

Peter

GLaidlaw
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. I would suggest that a trailer that size would definitely need a weight distributing hitch. It must also be set up correctly- the dealer should do that but it may need adjusting later depending on how good the original setup is. I still use a WD hitch on my Sierra although it does not take much equalizing- I would still never tow without it. I only tow light boat trailers with a drawbar. Practise on some of the more rural highways outside of Toronto- avoid the 400 series until you have more confidence. Practise backing up in a mall parking lot- one where there is lots of room. It will take a while to catch on. Extra mirrors and a person to guide you helps.

Good luck.

peterkwok
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a weight distribution hitch to replace the basic hitch bar, is it useful for my tow vehicle?

Thanks,

peterkwok
Explorer
Explorer
GLaidlaw wrote:
We have towed that route in winter with a 21 foot trailer many times and have seen all sorts of weather conditions. We used to tow with a Safari van- not the best- now use a Sierra 1500- wonderful combination.

I am leery about the the tow vehicle - it seems to have lots of power but watch the short wheelbase which can cause sway problems. Not a good thing even under the best of conditions. I would definitely tow around Toronto and check out the performance. Practise until you are confident in the performance. Learn how to back up the unit- you will need that skill. Keep your speed down- 90-5 kmh especially being new to towing.

When stopping for fuel, check out the pump location and whether you can exit the station. Many pumps are not RV friendly.

Use a good brake controller- we use a prodigy and are very satisfied.

We use the CIPA slide on mirrors - they are custom made for each vehicle- not sure if they make them for yours- otherwise universal clip on mirrors would work but may vibrate somewhat.

Don't leave canned food in the trailer overnight- We put ours in a box and carry them in the truck. We do use the trailer in the freezing weather but have lots of experience and also carry a generator. We do not put any water in the trailer until in warmer states. We carry jugs of water for use until we are south.

If the road conditions turn negative- pull off- get a motel room and wait it out. We have seen lots of trucks and trailers who did not and were in the ditch or on their sides.

The 401 around London and Woodstock can be especially nasty due to lake effect snow. Check out weather conditions.

Good luck and enjoy the trip.

Thanks, I'll practise it around Toronto area before leave. And all your advices are very useful.

GLaidlaw
Explorer
Explorer
We have towed that route in winter with a 21 foot trailer many times and have seen all sorts of weather conditions. We used to tow with a Safari van- not the best- now use a Sierra 1500- wonderful combination.

I am leery about the the tow vehicle - it seems to have lots of power but watch the short wheelbase which can cause sway problems. Not a good thing even under the best of conditions. I would definitely tow around Toronto and check out the performance. Practise until you are confident in the performance. Learn how to back up the unit- you will need that skill. Keep your speed down- 90-5 kmh especially being new to towing.

When stopping for fuel, check out the pump location and whether you can exit the station. Many pumps are not RV friendly.

Use a good brake controller- we use a prodigy and are very satisfied.

We use the CIPA slide on mirrors - they are custom made for each vehicle- not sure if they make them for yours- otherwise universal clip on mirrors would work but may vibrate somewhat.

Don't leave canned food in the trailer overnight- We put ours in a box and carry them in the truck. We do use the trailer in the freezing weather but have lots of experience and also carry a generator. We do not put any water in the trailer until in warmer states. We carry jugs of water for use until we are south.

If the road conditions turn negative- pull off- get a motel room and wait it out. We have seen lots of trucks and trailers who did not and were in the ditch or on their sides.

The 401 around London and Woodstock can be especially nasty due to lake effect snow. Check out weather conditions.

Good luck and enjoy the trip.

peterkwok
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks 63-Coupe & others, you give me many good advices.

Your are right, I'm very naรฏve and no any experience for towing.

. My tow vehicle is equipped with a towing package, but I don't know if it includes a transmission cooler? I'll call my vehicle dealer to check it.
. When I order the RV trailer, I asked my RV dealer to check if I need install something else, they told me I need a correct hitch bar and a remote brake controller, then I ordered also. They will install it for me when I pick up the trailer. I'll ask them to set up correctly while installing.
. I have no adequate mirrors for towing. I'll check from the dealer to see if I can install or not. How about the rear camera system?
. When I pick up my trailer, I'll ask my dealer give me a short training and going over more details.
. I have Jayco's 2 years warranty and 1 year emergency road service. I don't know if it's OK for my trip. Do you think I need to buy extra good sam emergency road service?
. I have no back trailer experience, I'll try to practice it before leave and try to avoid back if possible when drive on the way.
. I'll live in hotel before Chattanooga

Thanks again.

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
When using a WD hitch the dealer can come close but it will be on you to tweak it after the TT is loaded. The hitch needs to be set for the tongue weight that will be the result after loaded.. Do you understand how it works and how to adjust it.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
You also might want to make some reservations in Florida, especially south florida because they are pretty full through the end of march (especially state parks but you may find some cancellations).

For your safety (and everyone else's), please practice driving and check construction zones along your route. How good are you at squeezing through construction areas.

Spend a night in your trailer at home (no water usage of course) and see if that mattress is comfortable. If not, add a 2 or 3" memory foam (probably cheaper here in us like everything else).

You will immensely enjoy your stay the more prepared you are. Happy camping!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
peterkwok wrote:
Thanks everyone. Thanks joebedford & rwbradley's special point.

I never pulled an RV before, and my trailer is brand new. I know the driving will be more difficulty when pulled an RV, especially in turning. Maybe I need to use one day to practice how to driving with my RV in local area before we go.

Peter

Store parking lots after hours is the best place to practice. Drive up and down the aisles and then practice backing it up between the yellow parking lines. Great place to practice.

Buy two orange construction cones and place them at the back of the parking space on either side and then back in between them. these come in real handy at CG's also because you can see them in your mirror.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

63-Coupe
Explorer
Explorer
First of all I commend you on your spirit of adventure and willingness to take on something new. I saw this post earlier and it kind of raised my eyebrows but I thought I would just stay out of it. I just canโ€™t keep quiet any longer though.
Please do not take this the wrong way but I believe you are being very naรฏve and unprepared for what you are about to do. You will be travelling on the 401 to Windsor at the absolutely worst time of year for surprise weather conditions, you are towing a moderately sized travel trailer with an SUV, you have absolutely no towing experience, and you have absolutely no experience with RVโ€™ing.
So here is my 2 cents for whatever it is worth;
โ€ข Do you have a proper brake controller on your tow vehicle?
โ€ข Do you have adequate mirrors for towing?
โ€ข Do you have a hitch, equalizer bars, etc. that are rated for the tow vehicle/trailer combination?
โ€ข Is your tow vehicle equipped with a towing package that includes a transmission cooler?
โ€ข Make sure your dealer spends at least an hour with you going over your trailer when you pick it up.
โ€ข Make sure your dealer sets up the trailer tongue and hitch height correctly when you pick it up.
โ€ข Find out if any major warranty work will be honoured by dealers in the U.S. and where they are located.
โ€ข Before you even think about embarking on this trip try to get a few miles under your belt towing on the DVP, 401, 404, or similar roads around Toronto convenient to you. If you can find an area with some narrower construction lanes to try out then even better.
โ€ข Be very aware of the weather and road conditions you will be encountering. For example, there is a fairly long stretch in northern Ohio that is quite open and prone to crosswinds similar to the 401 between London and Windsor. There is also a stretch about 15 miles long when you first enter Tennessee that is at a higher elevation and can have winter weather or heavy fog when the rest of the area is clear.
โ€ข Have you ever backed a trailer of any kind into a driveway?
โ€ข Do you have any idea what your fuel tank range will be while towing?
โ€ข Get a decent measurement on the trailer height for when you try to go under that hotel canopy.
โ€ข Get an emergency road service provider (CAA, Good Sam, Coachnet, etc.) that will cover the RV as well.

As for the trip down I-75, I have done it many times in January and February from the Hamilton area. Based on your limited experience I recommend using hotels until you get to at least Chattanooga. The KOA at Findlay/Bluffton will be too far north and too cold for you. No washrooms or showers, nothing open nearby, and electrical hookup only. They advertise full hookups but they are either taken by permanent residents or frozen. If you insist on using a campground earlier then the Lexington Horse Park may be an option if the weather is mild. Their showers and washrooms are open and clean. There are electrical hookups but the water is shut off until March but their dumping station is open with water available.
There is a lot of knowledge and experience on this forum so donโ€™t be afraid to ask questions. We were all newbies once. With mild weather and clear dry roads it could very well turn out to be an uneventful and enjoyable trip. It is quite an undertaking for your first trip out and I hope everything goes well for you.

peterkwok
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Thanks joebedford & rwbradley's special point.

I never pulled an RV before, and my trailer is brand new. I know the driving will be more difficulty when pulled an RV, especially in turning. Maybe I need to use one day to practice how to driving with my RV in local area before we go.

Peter

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Blueberry Hill RV Resort in Bushnell, FL, right off I-75 will suit your needs and they always seem to have room.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)