cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bathroom Upgrade and Laying New Carpet cont.

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
My project continues. I put aside installing the tile in the Bathroom to give me a break from working in that small area. Yesterday I started to lay the new carpeting. In any given RV there will be a lot of cutouts so it's really important to make sure you decide where the best place is to use as a baseline to use for your measurements.

I measured carefully (several times) and made a few cuts out on the patio before bringing the carpet in to lay. This makes it much easier to put the carpet in place and make the rest of the cutouts.

I put the carpeting in and cut it. Today I will put down the padding and cut it and start stapling the carpet in. I rented a professional carpet stapler from Home Depot along with the correct staples. These staples are usually not on the shelf where you find most of the staples and staple guns for some reason I found them only in the tool rental dept.

Below is where I left the bathroom project with the new counter top base put in ready for tile.

The fact is as I have shown in this post and in my previous one where I detail the tear-out of the bathroom that it is easily possible to have a "real" bathroom in an RV.
7 REPLIES 7

westend
Explorer
Explorer
fulltimedaniel wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Don't use tile. I have tile in may places and keeping the grout clean is a pain in the....well, you know. There must be a better option of some kind of a solid surface. I am looking to tear out mine and have someone install a cleaner, easier to deal with surface. We full time. If you don't then the occasional use may not be a big deal.

Actual grout does not work well in trailers (vehicles) and most grout needs to be sealed then it doesnt stain or soil. The good sealants are expensive but worth it.

In this case I will be using a high end silicone based sealant in place of grout. It has a 7 year guarantee against mold and of course is waterproof.

I am putting the tile on with a very strong commercial construction glue...it wont be going anywhere.

I hope you didn't buy into that Internet seller that sells the "Best product on Earth". I'm not going to search to show this exact guy because there are probably now more than a few selling silicone as the best adhesive for tile.

Truth is, a properly installed tile and correct grout is going to last two lifetimes in an RV. I've been doing this for years and don't have any issues. You can search through the "Cowboy/Hilton" thread in my signature line to see a full tutorial.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Don't use tile. I have tile in may places and keeping the grout clean is a pain in the....well, you know. There must be a better option of some kind of a solid surface. I am looking to tear out mine and have someone install a cleaner, easier to deal with surface. We full time. If you don't then the occasional use may not be a big deal.

Actual grout does not work well in trailers (vehicles) and most grout needs to be sealed then it doesnt stain or soil. The good sealants are expensive but worth it.

In this case I will be using a high end silicone based sealant in place of grout. It has a 7 year guarantee against mold and of course is waterproof.

I am putting the tile on with a very strong commercial construction glue...it wont be going anywhere.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We had some solid surface counters put in our house several years ago and they told me they would sell me remnants real cheap if I wanted to do something like my trailer. Might be worth a try!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Looks great - very tasteful!
What will you be doing with the counter?

this is the tile I will put on the backsplash and counter: the photo shows the carpet, tile and the new flooring for the bathroom and entry.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I was brave ... to replace our carpeting in trailer...

my issue is to many neat edges next to vinyl flooring..
3 feet going to door
8 feet going to kitchen
3 feet going to hallway
then the 12 foot slide out.

Your job looks Great.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Looks great - very tasteful!
What will you be doing with the counter?