cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

From mouse hole to detachable cord.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yesterday, I removed the hard wired shore power cord and mouse hole, and replaced it with a Marinco detachable shore power cord kit. I work slow, so it took about an hour.

Real easy mod. Before doing it, I did look at several install videos on You Tube to make sure there were no hidden surprises.

Before starting I did remove the negative ground on the battery. Not sure I needed to, but wanted to be extra careful.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch
13 REPLIES 13

jackquontee
Explorer
Explorer
I so wanted to do the Marinco mod on my first camper (the Aliner Scout) but was afraid to cause I don't like messing with electrical things.

When I decided to move up to the Aliner Expedition, I was determined to do the mod, cause I was tired of dealing with attached cord, and tired of being afraid. Next to the conversion from sofabed to permanent, raised bed, this is the next favorite mod I did.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Atlee,

If you insist on using the more expensive and old fashioned design of the twist lock, at least treat it regularly with Deoxit.

It is far better to use the standard RV plug configuration for either the 30 amp or 50 amp. Hubble makes the "best of the best". Progressive works well for me. The Cameco female plugs are pretty but do not last very well.

Simply cut off the cord--and add the appropriate RV male plug to it, then add an RV female plug to what you cut off.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those that prefer a detachable cord, this in an upgrade definitely worth doing and have done it on a previous TT. If you can make an access to the original cord storage "box" from inside or outside, it can make a great extra storage space as an added bonus.

The 30 amp Park Power/Marinco detachable cord is the same as the one made by Conntek and are interchangeable. We have both and the Marinco one gets regular use. The Conntek is stored away as a spare or for an extension cord (along with a standard generator adapter).

FWIW, the locking collar on the Park Power/Marinco cord is available in a threaded version and 1/8 turn version. Our Conntek cord is threaded and is a real nuisance to use and our Marinco is the 1/8 turn "Easy Lock" version and is way easier to use.

Furrion also makes a 30 amp cord which is supposed to be interchangeable with all other brands according to their website.

There is a new brand of RV 30 amp shore power cord and inlet on the market I just heard about today called SmartPlug and has it's own proprietary inlet/connector configuration that is not interchangeable. Available at places like CW and ebay for a mere $341... :E But at least the shipping is free, lol.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can get the kit a lot of places on line. And while the kit can't be found at Walmarts, the parts, such as the plug can be found at most decent sized RV dealers and/or marine dealers.

As far as the small point of contact goes, if the Marinco twist lock plugs are good enough for large expensive 5th wheels, and Class A MH's, they are good enough for my 27ft Jayco 23RB.

I already carry a 30' shore power extension cord. With an extra plug, I can quickly make another shore power cord to fit the Marinco outlet.

pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

No, that is not true. Compare it with the RV 50 amp and 30 amp standard connection. If you damage the Marinco cord or it disappears you can't just drive to Walmart for a replacement. It is also four to five times the cost. Being a twist lock, it has a small point of contact for power.

Atlee wrote:
You can get the Park Power by Marinco detachable power cord kit many places.
Erroll, Mary
Equal-i-zer Hitch

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

No, that is not true. Compare it with the RV 50 amp and 30 amp standard connection. If you damage the Marinco cord or it disappears you can't just drive to Walmart for a replacement. It is also four to five times the cost. Being a twist lock, it has a small point of contact for power.

Atlee wrote:
You can get the Park Power by Marinco detachable power cord kit many places.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can get the Park Power by Marinco detachable power cord kit many places. I got mine from Amazon. Right now, CW has the same kit for about 5 dollars more than I paid at Amazon.

What happens is the old mouse hole is removed. The cord is cut, leaving between 12 and 18 inches of the old cord attached like it always was. This remaining wire attaches to a receptacle which is mounted, using the exact same screw holes as the old mouse hole. This stays on the trailer, of course.

The end of the power cord that was cut from the trailer is then attached to a plug. This plug is twist locked into the receptacle on the trailer. There is also a lock ring that locks onto the receptacle.

All the electrical connections are color coded so they should not be any mix up of where the individual wires are attached.

Just re-read your post again. I see you asked where did I get my cord? The same cord is used in the conversion. It's just cut and the detachable power cord kit is installed.

rockhillmanor wrote:
Atlee wrote:
Yesterday, I removed the hard wired shore power cord and mouse hole, and replaced it with a

Marinco detachable shore power cord kit

. I work slow, so it took about an hour.

Real easy mod. Before doing it, I did look at several install videos on You Tube to make sure there were no hidden surprises.

Before starting I did remove the negative ground on the battery. Not sure I needed to, but wanted to be extra careful.

Thank you for posting this!

My MH has been parked not using it for awhile. Yesterday I did a walk around and found the darn mice had chewed thru my power cord. Thought for sure I would have to pay someone to come out to replace it. Trip charges out here are in excess of $75.00 before they even start to work on your RV. :R

I think I will try and replace it myself like you did.
Where did you buy the cord from?
And does that mean you can detach the whole thing and take it with you when not in use?

Thanks. :C
Erroll, Mary
Equal-i-zer Hitch

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Please elaborate and include a URL if you can. Thanks in advance.

Dennis12 wrote:
I use wireless electric. I think that my bill is a little more than it should be but it's worth it to me not to mess with cords.
Regards, Don

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
I use wireless electric. I think that my bill is a little more than it should be but it's worth it to me not to mess with cords.
Dennis Hoppert

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
Yesterday, I removed the hard wired shore power cord and mouse hole, and replaced it with a

Marinco detachable shore power cord kit

. I work slow, so it took about an hour.

Thank you for posting this!

My MH has been parked not using it for awhile. Yesterday I did a walk around and found the darn mice had chewed thru my power cord. Thought for sure I would have to pay someone to come out to replace it. Trip charges out here are in excess of $75.00 before they even start to work on your RV. :R

I think I will try and replace it myself like you did.
Where did you buy the cord from?
And does that mean you can detach the whole thing and take it with you when not in use?

Thanks. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I hated that detachable cord, so I hard wired it. Using a locking hatch, larger than the usual mouse hole, I only pull out what I need and no more bother finding a place to store the cord. Good riddance!

Different strokes - yada, yada, yada. :W I'd never own any trailer that didn't have a detachable main service cable ... any I did own that were hard wired I installed a Marinco Park Power kit, kept it when I sold the trailer, and re-installed it on the next one. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I used standard 3 prong 30 amp male and female plugs to truncate the pull out cord. I found it far more convenient. The cords are easier to replace than the Marinco type.
Regards, Don

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I hated that detachable cord, so I hard wired it. Using a locking hatch, larger than the usual mouse hole, I only pull out what I need and no more bother finding a place to store the cord. Good riddance!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've read and heard in the past where folks have had their electric cords cut and stolen from their RV's. Replacing the original with a detachable is a good idea. Glad you got it done.

I cut my own cord, and put in a surge protector (inside the trailer), leaving only the plug of the surge protector sticking through the mouse hole. If anyone attempts to cut that, they are going to get only about 6 inches of wire. I've felt much better about shortening that wire ever since I did it.

Good Job!