cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jack antenna?

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone use the new Jack antenna and how is the performance?
23 REPLIES 23

webslave
Explorer
Explorer
The batwing worked fine (I tried it first), but, it actually made the antenna even more "directional" in its reception. The Jack had the same reception qualities (signal strength) as the Sensar with the Bat Wing, but, had much better "off-axis" signal acceptance. That off-axis betterment meant more stations when they weren't all coming from the same point on the compass. If they all came from the same point, there wasn't any change, better or worse. Most of the places we camp, the stations will come from several different towns and I found with the Jack, I could get more of those stations without having to re-aim the antenna. The Jack won't give you any "extra boost", but, it will appear as if it does because of its better off-axis reception.
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
webslave wrote:
Yes it is a direct replacement for the Sensar head. Here's a couple of pictures from the one I had on my bumper pull (don't have any photos of the one on the 5er):

In response to another poster that noted that the Jack, when installed, leaves the posts "naked" to rest on the roof, I didn't like that either. I got a a rubber "foot" from the hardware store and put it on the post so that it cushioned the post against the roof.

The best price I've seen on the Jack is here:

Current "best price" that I've found

I've bought a lot of stuff from them. Good prices, fast shipping, but, I wouldn't know about problem resolving since I've never had a problem with them...

Yep, definitely some good prices on that site. But I went ahead and ordered a BatWing instead. My original Sensar antenna is only two years old and already amplified. I am hoping the batwing gives me the extra boost. If not, maybe I will give the Jack a shot.
Thanks,
Bruce
Minnesota Viking fan trapped in Wisconsin
2011 KZ Sportsmen Classic 19BH
2013 Chevy Silverado 1500, Ext Cab, 5.3L Z71, 4x4
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV

webslave
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is a direct replacement for the Sensar head. Here's a couple of pictures from the one I had on my bumper pull (don't have any photos of the one on the 5er):

In response to another poster that noted that the Jack, when installed, leaves the posts "naked" to rest on the roof, I didn't like that either. I got a a rubber "foot" from the hardware store and put it on the post so that it cushioned the post against the roof.

The best price I've seen on the Jack is here:

Current "best price" that I've found

I've bought a lot of stuff from them. Good prices, fast shipping, but, I wouldn't know about problem resolving since I've never had a problem with them...
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
OK, really interested in buying one of these. Is this all I need: http://www.amazon.com/JACK-OA-8000-Digital-TV-Antenna/dp/B003FO2O1G/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367378703&sr=1-2&keywords=wingman+booster
And it seems it comes with a signal booster/amp. Should I use that one or the existing one on the TT? Also, here is a couple photos of my current "Winegard" antenna. Will this Jack antenna simply replace the old one on top of the mast?

Also, is there a better price online other than $50.67 that Amazon is charging?

Thanks,
Bruce
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a Jack on topmost my fiver and am happy with its operation. More thing I would add is its height. Overall I'm about 13 feet, the Jack I above the roof about the same as the AC. It just looks like it sticks up there and a concern for tree limbs.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for remembering to follow up on the review. I am thinking about doing an upgrade. My antenna doesn't pick up crap. But I have a lower end trailer and probably a "lower end" antenna as well so I hope the upgrade will be a big help.
Bruce
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV

REWahoo
Explorer
Explorer
As promised, I'm following up on my Jack antenna install and how it performs vs. the old batwing (without wingman) it replaced. I'm currently in the campground at Hot Springs National Park, located in 'Gulpha Gulch' where I've always had trouble getting a reliable OTA signal from some local stations.

The Jack does provide a better signal - not perfect (there is an occasional pixellation event) but it is definitely an improvement vs. the batwing it replaced. Since my batwing did not have a wingman add-on (no room for it due to the location of an AC unit) there is no way to judge how my Jack compares to that configuration.

In addition to the slightly better performance, the lighter weight Jack is much easier to crank up and down and to rotate.

I'm a happy camper...
2011 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax 4x4
2007 Jayco Eagle 291RLTS (trade in)
2017 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5RLTS

CC-skipjack
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced my entire 'wing' with the 'Jack' unit and am totally satisfied. Just having the signal indicator makes it almost worth while in itself. That plus I love not having to remember to loweer the antennae before moving!
Charlie K
CC-skipjack

2000 Cedar Creek 30RL / 2001 GMC 2500HD

REWahoo
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
REWahoo wrote:

Yes, that's it. Comes with everything you need to replace the old bat-wing head on top of your crank-up mast. Simple to do, I did mine yesterday.

That sounds great,let us know how it all works out for you.

I know mine works better than the others. :C

The trailer is currently parked on top of a hill, 40 miles from the "antenna farm". I was getting OK signals from the bat wing and I can't really see much difference with the new Jack.

The real test probably won't come until April when we'll be at a couple of RV parks where reception with the bat wing was spotty.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
REWahoo wrote:

Yes, that's it. Comes with everything you need to replace the old bat-wing head on top of your crank-up mast. Simple to do, I did mine yesterday.

That sounds great,let us know how it all works out for you.

I know mine works better than the others. :C
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

REWahoo
Explorer
Explorer
esox07 wrote:
Is this the antenna that you all are talking about??? Is this all you need or do you need to buy anything else?
http://www.amazon.com/JACK-OA-8000-Digital-TV-Antenna/dp/B003FO2O1G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Thanks,
Bruce

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
Is this the antenna that you all are talking about??? Is this all you need or do you need to buy anything else?
http://www.amazon.com/JACK-OA-8000-Digital-TV-Antenna/dp/B003FO2O1G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Thanks,
Bruce
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV

REWahoo
Explorer
Explorer
Playtime II wrote:
Easiest mod I've done yet-5 mins. It takes longer to get on the roof.

Ensure you get the JACK that has the wingard adapter included. Raise the batwing. Add the adapter to the jack with the 4 philips screws (included). Remove the coax cable from the old wingard (a 7/16 open ended wrench helps). Remove the two "c" clips on the wingard pins (a small flat blade screwdriver helps). Remove the two pins and dispose of the wingard batwing. Use the two pins to install the JACK and new "c" clips (included). Add some dielectric goop (included) to the coax connector and attach to JACK. There is a LED on the bottom to confirm there is power (from Antennna Amp inside via the multi-switch box or wall receptacle). They even include an Amp if you wanted to use the JACK in a non-RV situation.

I have an AC right next to the JACK (in the lowered position) with a little room to spare. I would not have been able to add on to the old batwing.

They only drawback is the batwing had rubber bumpers that rested on the roof when lowered. Since the JACK sits on top of the parallel bars it does not have them. I'm thinking of adding some type of bumper to the bar.

Nice overview of installation process - thanks. UPS should deliver my Jack on Tuesday.

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Get jacked!!!It took longer to haul my fat butt up to the roof than it took to install it,works great!!!
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...