cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Less fuel stops

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
It has always been one of my pet peeves getting fuel in a crowded fuel station and nobody willing to give you an inch to get to the pump. Well today I think I might have solved that problem. I installed this 40 gallons RDS tank and now I have a range of about 900 miles on my rig. Now I will be able to get where I am going and fill the truck without the fiver attached. This is how the install went. I set the new tank inside the truck it fit perfectly. Drilled a couple of holes to hold it down. Before I locked it into place the cramped work began. I had to take the fill spout out and cut a section out so the new valve would fit in place. Then splice it all back together with hose clamps and hose extensions. Man talk about tight. It was like working in the bilges of my boat. With that done I needed to take the hose and drill a couple of holes in the truck bed one for the fuel line to attach to the new fill tube and one for the venting of the tank. This is where the holes were drilled and the tube that connects to the new tank. This shot shows the vent tube that travels down the back side of the fuel tank to the undercarriage of the truck And the fuel line going down to the fill spout

All in all a pretty fun project I will let you know how it all works in a couple of weeks. I am planning my first trip with the new set up just to see how it works. RDS seems to make a pretty darn good tank.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

36 REPLIES 36

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
mileshuff wrote:
I never saw reason for auxiliary tanks myself. My truck holds 34 gallons. When towing I average 10mpg so thats 340 miles between fill ups. My legs and bladder need a break anyways by then. No need to go much over 300 miles without a break so I just make it a fill up, bathroom, snack break all in one.

I agree!

Even with the 32 gal tank my new RAM will have I will have plenty of fuel.

Our older F250 gassers only had 29 gallon tanks so at 10mpg that is only 290 miles max.. We typically would start looking for gas stations at 240 miles.. Often taking 30 miles or so to find a station which was easy enough to get in/out of AND didn't require a 20 mile hike on a narrow road off the Interstate (yep, did THAT ONLY ONCE, now we do not pull off the Interstate for fuel unless we can SEE the station).

Our 2013 F250 has a bigger tank but we still seemed to have to short hop often filling up at 275 miles..

Adding the extra 15 gallon tank extended our range enough to stop those short fillups.

We still stop every few hrs to stretch out but it takes LESS time during those stops than what it takes when you have to stop and fuel up. Out of 1500 miles eliminating a few fuel stops allowed us to reach our destination each way nearly 2 hrs faster!

I personally do not find gas stations to be a very good place to get out and stretch.. Most any that are close to Interstate exits tend to be very busy, traffic trying to get in/out, long waits to get to the pumps. They also tend to have long, long, long waits to get into dingy, crummy often putrid single stall restrooms..

Not having to fillup as often lets US decide (not the truck)where to pull off to stretch.. Mall parking lots, restaurants, retail store lots or highway rest stops. Makes for a good excuse to get a treat from Dairy Queen along the way!

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I will just say do it your way but I like our extra fuel so we will do it our way. Both ways we are all happy. Merry Christmas everybody.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mileshuff wrote:
I never saw reason for auxiliary tanks myself. My truck holds 34 gallons. When towing I average 10mpg so thats 340 miles between fill ups. My legs and bladder need a break anyways by then. No need to go much over 300 miles without a break so I just make it a fill up, bathroom, snack break all in one.

I agree!

Even with the 32 gal tank my new RAM will have I will have plenty of fuel.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

randot
Explorer
Explorer
I put in the KSH 45 gallon fuel tank tool box combo.
The tank itself was decent quality, but I did have to do some small mods ensuring its longevity. One problem was the rivets on the hinge lid, they were not set properly on each end of the hinge allowing them to work. A few openings of the lid would eventually cause them to loosen, so I drilled and added two flush, stainless flat-head screws with nuts on each end, problem solved. The install kit is overpriced for what you get in my opinion. It comes with two lengths of 5/16 and 3/8 hose, several clamps, a fill pipe hose inlet, a Chinese made electric pump and some wiring with a toggle switch. The pump's electric connections are not very good, They are a slip on type and easy for them to fall off. The US made version of the same pump has its electric connections made with nuts and washers. The filler pipe connection was not the right size to fit the filler hose on my F350 and there was not much room to clamp on the filler hose and no barbs, I expected it to leak.

I ended up modding my filler neck as shown, the fuel is pumped in the main hose and the breather is for the aux tank is added to the filler neck breather pipe.

Overall, not a bad tank, decent room in the tool box area, however no instructions that match any of the equipment are included, so as long as you're confident plumbing fuel lines through the bed, running electrical through to the cab, it is not a tough install. I would have preferred not to have to make so many adjustments to make the locks and latches work properly and beef up the hinges, for the price it should work right out of the box.

Moderator edit to re-sie picture to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
2013 Voltage 3200 EPIC II
Two GSDs and toys

TheGatherer
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a RDS 70 gal. tank when I bought my 2012 Ford F250. Towing I can fill up in N. Cen. Fla drive to Slidel, LA drive to San Antonio, TX drive to El Paso, TX drive to Tuson,AZ and still have a lot of fuel left. Reverse on the trip back unless I go another route. Here locally when not towing I keep the tank full and fill it about once a month at a Wally World where diesel is the least exspensive. I plumbed it through a SW elec fuel pump and can use that or gravity, mostly gravity. It weighs about 480lbs but that doesn't seem to be a problem. So, I carry 96gal and can pick and choose where I want to buy diesel.. I can't say enough 'Good' about RDS.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
diazr2 wrote:
I installed this 40 gallons RDS tank..Now I can carry 75 gallons of fuel. and now I have a range of about 900 miles on my rig...
Assuming a reliable 12mpg, that would be on fumes.

I used to think I could drive really far on more fuel, until I realized there's no way I'll be going much past 1/4 tank. Your safety range is about 700, which I'm sure is much better than before.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
profdant139 wrote:
Now if someone could come up with an auxiliary tank to extend MY range, I would really get excited. I have to stop more often than my little truck does, and it is a gasser holding only 20 gallons, and I get 10 mpg when towing, and I often have to stop while there is still plenty of gas in the truck.

Oh, well.

This year I put together my own using a 15 gal Blitz brand gas "station" (they are out of business but I found a local store that had a NOS one for $100)..

I bought a Carter electric fuel pump (1.2 gal per minute) for $100..

Added a fuel filter, some fuel line and a few fittings, cost was about $250 for all.

Put it the bed of my truck under my cover.. When I got to half tank or more we simply took the next rest stop and while the family was taking care of business I transferred the gas from the "station" to the truck tank.

Took all of 10-11 minutes which is less than half the time I spend at gas stations and we were able to cut out over half of our fuel stops.. Saved us several hrs of travel time on a 1,500 mile round trip this year.

Was kind of nice to be able to take full advantage of our 2013 F250 with factory 39 gallon tank. Always had several spots in our trip which have a long, long distance between gas stations and the extra 15 gallons meant that we did not have to short hop any more.

Amazon does have a similar tank under a different brand name but it is a bit more expensive.

I had been considering using a marine fuel tank with a electric fuel pump.. You can get them in many sizes and configurations..

On edit.. Should note I ran the wires into the electrical box and put a switch under the weather proof cover and all metal items are grounded together for safety.

Mounted the tank on 2x6s to provide stability so it would not tip over..

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
1slomofo wrote:
I wanted to do the same thing...I have a diesel that only has the 26 gallon tank, but I already had a truck tool box that I really liked and didn't want to replace... So I had a custom one made from some measurements I took. Then I coated it with bed liner myself.

The new tank carried over 25 gallons. So I can now carry about 51 gallons! I am using the same gravity feed kit you are. Super awesome!

That is the best Idea I have seen yet! I have had no problems getting fuel ever. I don't worry about saving a few cents here or there it's just not worth it! I buy at the truck stops or TravelCenters that have plenty of room. If I am traveling in an unfamiliar area I will take a 5gal container full of diesel with me.

If I were to do an extra tank I would replace the factory with a larger tank. I have a 30" front to back bed height HighwayProducts tool box and I would not be without it. Looks like I could add a tank like you have and still use my tool box. Great idea!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
okiejoe wrote:
I have a 100 Gallon Transfer tank/toolbox combo in the back of my Dodge (total onboard fuel = 135 Gallons) and can get to Yuma easily from OKC without having to stop and buy fuel but I have to stop and pump the fuel, I have an external electric pump instead of the gravity feed. What I have heard is if you have a fuel mileage readout in your truck it could create a check engine light due to the fact that the trucks computer sees that for a long time your tank remains full and confuses the computer and throws a check engine light thinking something is wrong.

I have 95 total gallons with a gravity feed. Never had a CEL.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

okiejoe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 100 Gallon Transfer tank/toolbox combo in the back of my Dodge (total onboard fuel = 135 Gallons) and can get to Yuma easily from OKC without having to stop and buy fuel but I have to stop and pump the fuel, I have an external electric pump instead of the gravity feed. What I have heard is if you have a fuel mileage readout in your truck it could create a check engine light due to the fact that the trucks computer sees that for a long time your tank remains full and confuses the computer and throws a check engine light thinking something is wrong.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Large tankage has the biggest advantage in managing cost per mile ,more important then a few 10ths mpg.
Buying for me can range over a $1.00 a gallon or more delta,thats $300 a fill up savings.
A typical RV season is 4 fills ,thats over $1000 savings vs filling because I have to.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Now if someone could come up with an auxiliary tank to extend MY range, I would really get excited. I have to stop more often than my little truck does, and it is a gasser holding only 20 gallons, and I get 10 mpg when towing, and I often have to stop while there is still plenty of gas in the truck.

Oh, well.

TravelJohn! :B

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II

Oh, well.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."