cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Modification of dome light to add pull switch?

Poppy___Nana
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone wired a pull switch into their ceiling dome light? If you have can you share how you did it?

We have a double light, single switch dome light in the bedroom over the bed which is very difficult to reach. I thought a pull switch would allow easier access.

Any suggestions???
Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
2008 - Ford F250 Super Crew 4x4
14 REPLIES 14

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
My wife is short and I've put pull switches on the ceiling lights in all of our RVs. I use fan pull switches - 2 or 3 speed depending on how many bulbs. That's the cheapest and easiest. I cut the strings so my head doesn't hit them and wifey can reach them. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Poppy & Nana wrote:
Thank you one and all.....I'm not keen on the remote, that is why I was looking at the pull string.

I would love to have two wall switches, since we have two doors into the bedroom (his & hers).....however there is no place to pull the wires down to the switch. The bedroom wall is all wood and the back of the entertainment system....if anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear them!

That was why I suggested surface channel to wall switch.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/N-5yc1v/Ntk-Extended/Ntt-surface%252Bchannel?browsestoreoption=1
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If you'd rather have wall switches, you can get wiremold and lead the wiring through that. The wiremold attaches easily to wood surfaces. I bought a piece, last week that has a self-stick tape on the back and will house 2 14awg wires. It is plastic so cuts easily.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like that device might be capable of powering the water pump too. Might try that!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Have a look at these

Remote switch

Great idea. I have the bath fan over the shower. Would be nice to be able to turn it while sitting on the throne. Will work for That?

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Poppy___Nana
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you one and all.....I'm not keen on the remote, that is why I was looking at the pull string.

I would love to have two wall switches, since we have two doors into the bedroom (his & hers).....however there is no place to pull the wires down to the switch. The bedroom wall is all wood and the back of the entertainment system....if anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear them!
Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

DonCon
Explorer
Explorer
We installed a wall switch also. One of the best mods made.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
We have a hard to reach bedroom light too. I found the wires to it and installed a wall switch
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't done it because I dislike strings hanging down but it would be easy to do. Usually, with a double bulb RV fixture, there is a dividing strip of plastic between the two lenses. That strip may house the original switch and it may not. Regardless, you want to mount the pull switch in some part of the fixture housing. If you have the plastic center divider and the original switch is there, that's an ideal location for the new pull switch. Drill the correct sized hole in the fixture and mount the switch.
Your existing fixture and switch will have two wires into the switch. Remove or cut one of those wires. Splice the two cut ends or add another wire to the new switch so that your new pull switch is between the original switch and the removed/cut wire. Replace fixture into location, you're done.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
Looks pretty straight forward to me. It looks like you will have to turn the light on the setting you want and leave it then turn it on and off with the remote.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Kathy, the installation seems simple enough. The customer review section has some good info. LINK The remote could be mounted in the ceiling near the light with the 2 hot wires feeding the remote and the 2 wires out of the remote feeding the light fixture.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Surface channel to wall switch.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Poppy___Nana
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Have a look at these

Remote switch

Thanks Mike and Carole, I can't find installation instructions and not sure if the remote would work.....for the application we need.
Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Have a look at these

Remote switch
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP