cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vortex fan install Wiring Questions

chris15005
Explorer
Explorer
There was a post on here awhile ago Fan Install thread on replacing this fan and adding a wall switch versus the supplied switch. I'm not that versed with electric so i had a question how was this wired to make it operate correctly?

Thanks in advance.
14 REPLIES 14

chris15005
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the assistance

YamaDooed
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
YamaDooed wrote:
I'm not sure why they needed to run two wires down the wall to the new fan switch. You normally only need to pull one black wire from the new switch to the new fan wire. (with a wall switch my option would be to bypass the new fan pushbutton switch) The 12v + is already at the bottom of the existing light switch and needs to be jumpered to the new fan switch. The 12v- just gets connected in the ceiling.

I assumed from the original post there was no existing wall switch. Therefore, he would need a wire going to the switch and one coming from the switch to the fan. Not two SETs of wires, just two wires.

Converting a Light/ Fan with independently controlled switches only requires three wires a 12v+ feed and two switched legs. In the reference post pics that mod was done with four wires one being lamp cord. There's no need to add a 12v+ down from the ceiling and back up when there's a 12v+ already at the light switch. ๐Ÿ™‚

YamaDooed
Explorer
Explorer
For a existing bathroom fan replacement you would just connect the vortex 12v- white wire to the 12v- white wire already in the ceiling. Then from your new double switch there should already be a 12v+ that need to be a small jumper over to the second switch and then pull a black wire up thru the wall to the Vortex and connect at the red wire nut location. Also make sure to remove the pushbutton black wire from the red nut at this time.

chris15005
Explorer
Explorer
I probably should have stated originally my trailer had this fan I just replaced it ad it burned up and wanted to bypass the provided switch with a wall switch like another member had done just am not sure about wiring it.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
YamaDooed wrote:
I'm not sure why they needed to run two wires down the wall to the new fan switch. You normally only need to pull one black wire from the new switch to the new fan wire. (with a wall switch my option would be to bypass the new fan pushbutton switch) The 12v + is already at the bottom of the existing light switch and needs to be jumpered to the new fan switch. The 12v- just gets connected in the ceiling.

I assumed from the original post there was no existing wall switch. Therefore, he would need a wire going to the switch and one coming from the switch to the fan. Not two SETs of wires, just two wires.

chris15005
Explorer
Explorer
YamaDooed wrote:

I'm wanting to bypass the switch with my idea I have a new double on off switch to replace the single one now. So you're saying wire fan as is factory run hot to top of switch and run load wire back to ground on fan?

YamaDooed
Explorer
Explorer

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Let us know hot it goes.

chris15005
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
You don't need to bypass the switch on the fan itself, just turn it on and leave it on. Run the positive (hot) wire to the new wall switch first then back up to the hot side on the vortex fan itself.

Perfect thanks for the help electricity isn't my best skill set.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need to bypass the switch on the fan itself, just turn it on and leave it on. Run the positive (hot) wire to the new wall switch first then back up to the hot side on the vortex fan itself.

chris15005
Explorer
Explorer
I have attached a couple of photos from the thread i originally seen this in.

Do i need to bypass the black and white off the black switch completely and snake them to the new switch or just tap them all together? i can't tell where this guy tapped the wires from.

Wires from fan to switch

Fan assembly

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
Just the hot wire to the switch and leave the ground wire unswitched.

chris15005
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer already has the Vortex installed it got soaked and shorted out when the roof vent got cracked.

I'm guessing i need to eliminate the black and white wires from the push button switch and run those to the new wall switch.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, our entry level trailer came with no bathroom fan so I added the same hengs fan. It's a little noisy but we use it mostly when we showed so it doesn't really matter.

Do you already have the fan installed? If not and you have no existing fan you may have to tap into a nearby light. If you do have an existing fan or it is prewired it will be easier.

The good thing is it is only 12v so, while you don't want to short the wires together, it won't kill you if you do.

All the switch does is interrupts the flow of electricity. Run a wire (2 wire) from the fan area to the switch area. The 12v switches generally accept some kind of wire end as shown in the pictures I. The thread. These connectors are available in any auto parts store or Wally World. They generally crimp on so no soldering is required.

What you want to do is interrupt the positive side of the 12v feed, run it to the switch rather than directly to the fan, then from the other side of the switch, run it back up to the fan. Consider it kind of like driving and taking a detour through the switch rather than directly to the fan. Run the negative side (ground) directly to the fan.

One of the reasons I bought this fan is it installs very easily into the existing vent. It is a very easy install and if you take your time it will be no problems.

Pm me if you have any questions or need additional help.

Good luck!