cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C with Heat Pump, worth it?

Bellpr
Explorer
Explorer
We continue to shop for a new 5er. We see many manufacturers offer a A/C unit with a heat pump option.

1. Do you have that option?
2. Do you think it was worth it?
3. I assume it has limitations just like home heat pumps?
65 REPLIES 65

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
We had a DuoTherm heat pump for 12 years, and it was a real plus to the RV. Last year it finally went out (it runs a lot as we use our trailer as a guest room so everything remains hooked up). I replaced it with a new DuoTherm heat pump. The DuoTherm comes with a digital control that allows the heat pump to work to around thirty degrees, and if the outside temp continues to fall, it automatically switches over to the propane furnace. It saves an enormous amount of propane during the winter, because we have a lot of 30 to 50 degree days and nights. It's louder than the furnace, but it's the same sound level as when it's in AC mode in the summer. I guess I'd say that if you have really hard winters it won't help a lot except in spring and fall. But if you have moderate temps it is wonderful. I would not want a fifth wheel without one.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
They don't make a model for an RV I could find so it's a moot point.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
thanks
bumpy

fstanczyc
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Bumpy,

The model I have is a 12RLFCD. If you Google Fujitsu Halcyon brochure it describes the different models they have. I was skeptical because I've always heard about the 40 degree point too but my heating guy said this unit would still heat way below zero and it does.

Frank

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
what exactly is the model of your HP? I tried a search and came up with ductless ones. I assume one of mine will be going out shortly.
bumpy

fstanczyc
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
Depends on where you live. In warmer climate regions where winters are rather moderate heat pumps are the way to go for a home. In colder climates they are not efficient at all. Same with RV's. If using the RV in above or near freezing areas the heat pump works quite well and saves propane. While they're work in temps well below freezing I tend to think they won't last.

Hi Miles, my heat pump is an inverter style, unlike normal room AC units that run the compressor full bore until the temperature reaches the thermostat setting then the compressor shuts off until the temperature rises again. My heat pump runs almost non-stop but it runs only as hard as it needs to. The compressor, outside fan and inside fans all idle way back when they can, this not only saves electricity but keeps the room temperature steady. Our coldest month had a few nights around -10 Fahrenheit and below freezing days for most of the month and my electric bill was only $50 more than previous years for the same month. I am very happy with it and don't see any downside. I would buy one for my camper if there was one available and I needed to replace my AC.

As you mentioned, my only unknown is the longevity. It does have a 7 year warranty so I am hopeful.

Frank

fstanczyc
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpy wrote:
are you sure that the HP wasn't on emergency heat/backup heat at that temperature? none of the many heat pumps I have had have put out 100 degree air unless the backup was running.
bumpy

My Fujitsu Halcyon series does not have heat strips or any other kind of back up heat. Just a very efficient heat pump.

Frank

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
as one who has gone thru about 8 heat pumps at my homes I hate them but think you might as well get that option. would have to be better than a heat strip.
bumpy

Depends on where you live. In warmer climate regions where winters are rather moderate heat pumps are the way to go for a home. In colder climates they are not efficient at all. Same with RV's. If using the RV in above or near freezing areas the heat pump works quite well and saves propane. While they're work in temps well below freezing I tend to think they won't last.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
fstanczyc wrote:
Hi all,

I know this is an older post but I'm a newer member catching up.

I had a Fujitsu ducted split heat pump (12K BTU) installed last year to heat half of my house. It worked great all winter, our coldest night was -12 Fahrenheit and it was still putting out 100 degree air. The model I have is their "normal" unit, they have one that is made for this kind of weather but I went with this one on the advice of my heating guy, he heats his house and camp with these heat pumps alone.

Are the RV AC manufacturers lagging in technology or would these colder units be too heavy? My outside unit is a little bigger than the AC on the roof of my camper but I think my camper is only an 8K BTU.

Are there any RV heat pumps that will still work when the temps really get down there?

Just curious.

Frank

are you sure that the HP wasn't on emergency heat/backup heat at that temperature? none of the many heat pumps I have had have put out 100 degree air unless the backup was running.
bumpy

fstanczyc
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I know this is an older post but I'm a newer member catching up.

I had a Fujitsu ducted split heat pump (12K BTU) installed last year to heat half of my house. It worked great all winter, our coldest night was -12 Fahrenheit and it was still putting out 100 degree air. The model I have is their "normal" unit, they have one that is made for this kind of weather but I went with this one on the advice of my heating guy, he heats his house and camp with these heat pumps alone.

Are the RV AC manufacturers lagging in technology or would these colder units be too heavy? My outside unit is a little bigger than the AC on the roof of my camper but I think my camper is only an 8K BTU.

Are there any RV heat pumps that will still work when the temps really get down there?

Just curious.

Frank

okraman
Explorer
Explorer
Our 5th wheel came with the heat pump. Yes, we like it, it perform well on the occasions we've used it. We also have the fireplace, it helps take the chill off and keep the place comfortable. Yes, I would probably get the heat pump should I need to replace the A/C unit. We can and do camp year round. However, we do not have it as cold as some of you either. I like not having to refill the propane tanks as often since we can use the heat pump and fireplace.
2014 Ram Laramie 3500, SRW, CTD, CC, 3.42, 4X4
2015 Jayco Pinnacle 36 FBTS
'05 Jayco Eagle 298 BHS
16' Nova Craft Prospector Canoe

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Cummins,

Nope it doesn't change. It has to be hard wired and it is just a little to big to run on a 15 amp shore power.

It might be possible to modify the unit to do so with the addition of a switch. Good for you for thinking outside the box.

Cummins12V98 wrote:
Good news on the 30A does it automatically adjust to 30A shore power?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Rusty,

Lack of fail over is a big deal when you are not in the RV at -35. It doesn't take long for an RV to freeze up at those temperatures.

RustyJC wrote:
Perhaps an automatic changeover is critical to you If the power goes out and I start getting cold, I'll crawl out of bed, turn on the light (12VDC powered, of course) and flip the switch over to propane.

Rusty
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
I think the 30 amp is actually another model of the CheapHeat system that has the strip heat wired from L1 to N (120VAC). The 50 amp models wire the strip heat across L1 and L2 (240VAC) - as such, they could not work on 30 amps or incorrectly wired (in phase) 50 amps as the voltage across L1 and L2 in those cases is 0VAC.

My CheapHeat system does NOT work on 30 amp service.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600