cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Fiberglass Body Question

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Posting this as somewhat of a followup to my other post about my 5th wheel's fiberglass siding...

Another thing I have noticed about my Open Range is that the fiberglass siding is not totally flat, but rather it bulges out along what appear to be frame beams.

If you look down the side of the trailer you can see slight vertically oriented bulges where it appears that fiberglass was tightly affixed to the framed body of the trailer such that the underlying beams are visible underneath...like the way a concealed handgun might bulge underneath someone's shirt if the shirt was tight fitting.

Is this normal? I don't recall having seen this on other trailers. Not sure whether it is becoming more noticeable than when I got the trailer (less than a year old).

thanks for your help again

Matt
10 REPLIES 10

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
Unfortunately thats normal. It's where the Luan backer butts together. Some MFG's use two layers overlapping on the exterior which may or may not alleviate some of those vertical dimples. I've got a few on my 5er. Been that way for 6 years.

Yep, the bulges are at the edge of each panel and should be visible every 48 inches.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Cedar Creeks are 16" OC studs and last I knew was not vacuumed bonded
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
My understanding was that the walls are vacuum adhered to the adhesive on the studs. I could see the strength of the vacuum creating that kind of wavy look.

From what I've seen an adhesive is sprayed over the entire wall and the exterior wall material is then laid over that then pinch rolled or vac bonded. Most all fiberglass sided trailers don't have studs 16" OC so they rely on the foam insulation to be an integral part of the wall structure.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
My understanding was that the walls are vacuum adhered to the adhesive on the studs. I could see the strength of the vacuum creating that kind of wavy look.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
TXiceman wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Depends on what the backing is. But yes its normal to see some wavyness on the sides.

Not normal. Our 5 year old HitchHiker is flat a a pool table along the walls.

If your trailer is the laminated construction, start looking for water intrusion.

Ken

If your HH has 16" center studs, you likely won't see the "waves". Newer rigs, which most likely =don't= have 16" center studs, will show the "waves", simply because there's less backing to hold the wall flat.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Depends on what the backing is. But yes its normal to see some wavyness on the sides.

Not normal. Our 5 year old HitchHiker is flat a a pool table along the walls.

If your trailer is the laminated construction, start looking for water intrusion.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Totally normal.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
100% normal.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately thats normal. It's where the Luan backer butts together. Some MFG's use two layers overlapping on the exterior which may or may not alleviate some of those vertical dimples. I've got a few on my 5er. Been that way for 6 years.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II