cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any Problems with your 6.7L diesel on Ford F350 ?????

bobandvicki
Explorer
Explorer
Have 2004 Ford F350 6.0L that has been a nightmare. Getting ready to get a 2015 F350 then saw that the 6.7 has had a lot of troubles. After my 6.0L troubles should I be leary. Want to hear from those with 2012-2015 F250/350s if you have had any problems. Thank you. Bob

Thank you for all your input. Got a better deal on a 2015 3500 Ram than I could make on the F350 so that's what I did. Glad to see how many were so pleased with their Fords. Not enough space here to list all the problems I had with my 6.0
2015 3500 RAM Diesel Longbed 4x4 Dually

2015 39ft Heartland Big Country 3650 5th Wheel
92 REPLIES 92

fuzzdr
Explorer
Explorer
I love my 2015 F350 diesel. No problems at all and tons of power.

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Sport45 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
shepstone wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I have a 6.7 :B

Yeah but you dont count !! :B ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜›

Some of us can count straight to 6!

But most of us can count higher. ๐Ÿ™‚

But you have to count smaller items to reach the same 6.7! :B

Yeah, it's nice not being limited. ๐Ÿ™‚

I used to count 10 to get to 6.8L and was still happy.

The last 6-cylinder I overhauled had spark plugs and and made 900hp.

It displaced 35L (per cylinder) and made it's power at 300 rpm. So yes, I do think inline 6-cylinders have their place... ๐Ÿ™‚
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
davidaf wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

There is a pressure sensor on the input of your hpfp that monitors fuel pressure going in. If this fuel pressure gets too low mainly from a plugged fuel filter it will put the truck into limp mode to protect the fuel pump so there's nothing to worry about.

Also you're the second person I've read recently that a ford dealer wanted to replace a fuel system and the second dealer replaced the filter and lift pump and all was well.

Excellent info Fish. Thank you.

As per the thread, I've openly discussed the issues I've had as requested. Had I not visited Dealer #2 this would have been a much smaller issue. Yes a major inconvenience for a couple days but not a show stopper. Switch out the pump send me on my way, stuff happens. FWIW I switched from another brand and am not a die hard, head in the sand fan of any of them. I bought the tool that I liked best to accomplish what I need. Had I drove xxxx with a wide track front end and 19.5s, one of those other brands may have been sitting outside rather than the Ford.

Definitely good information.

I too am a fan of the "true" F-450 with the 19.5s. I was quite disappointed when they neutered them a few years ago and am glad to see them back. I think if they had been available when I bought my truck I just may have had one now myself ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
shepstone wrote:
blofgren wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
I think I missed something again. Did anyone notice the title of this thread?
Any problems with YOUR 6.7 diesel f-350? That would seem like he wants owners opinions to me. Do you loose reading comprehension when you buy a Fiat? Look how many of you jumped on the wagon as always. Are Fiat owners insecure and have to jump on all Ford related threads?
Sorry but I had to have a little fun with this as so many of you derailed this thread.:B

When I was truck shopping almost 2 years ago I did extensive reading on all brands and was very thankful for anyone who took the time to post about known issues with a truck whether they were an owner or not. To not inform an owner of a potential serious problem with a truck they are considering is just downright not responsible and inconsiderate. The fellow in this thread with the 2015 that had the low pressure fuel pump issue is an example of someone who unfortunately did not know this ahead of his purchase.

And no I am not at all insecure about my purchase. I am simply trying to help out people like I was helped at the time of my research.

So I trust you will do the same when it comes to the other manufacturers? Can we expect to see your research and hear-say, conjecture, percentage of people with problems, comments, warts and all ,major defects, recall issues, etc on them when that question comes up? Because you are obviously an expert on it.

This is such a silly post that I'm not sure why I am bothering to respond to it. I'm also not sure what prompted you to post it with such conviction :h

In any case I will continue to post on subjects that I do know something about or feel I can add something of use to the forum, just as I would hope that everyone including yourself does or should do. That is what makes these forums what they are. Of course, if you don't like that you are welcome to block me ๐Ÿ˜‰
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't noticed a plethora of any HD pickup truck brand dead on the side of the road. They all have their "Achilles Heels" so to speak, but the problems aren't as widespread as the detractors would have you believe or none of them would still be in business.

I follow some of the diesel owners sites for the different brands. You often see people "improving" their brand new truck by deleting emissions, changing CP4 to CP3 etc. Then a few have problems with their "improved" trucks. I'll wager if you took the number of people having problems with the "improved" trucks and divided by the number of people who "improved" their truck you'd find the failure rate was higher than if they'd just left it alone.

I think Ram, Ford and GM are all making a quality HD pickup that are serving their owners well.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
davidaf wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

There is a pressure sensor on the input of your hpfp that monitors fuel pressure going in. If this fuel pressure gets too low mainly from a plugged fuel filter it will put the truck into limp mode to protect the fuel pump so there's nothing to worry about.

Also you're the second person I've read recently that a ford dealer wanted to replace a fuel system and the second dealer replaced the filter and lift pump and all was well.

As per the thread, I've openly discussed the issues I've had as requested. Had I not visited Dealer #2 this would have been a much smaller issue. Yes a major inconvenience for a couple days but not a show stopper. Switch out the pump send me on my way, stuff happens. FWIW I switched from another brand and am not a die hard, head in the sand fan of any of them. I bought the tool that I liked best to accomplish what I need. Had I drove xxxx with a wide track front end and 19.5s, one of those other brands may have been sitting outside rather than the Ford.

No problem...

BTW... Those F450s with the 19.5s are a jewel.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
shepstone wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I have a 6.7 :B

Yeah but you dont count !! :B ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜›

Some of us can count straight to 6!

Nuff said.... :B

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

2016 - Heartland Landmark Newport
2006 - Lance 1181
2005 - Fleetwood Prowler AX6 365BSQS - San Felipe Mexico Getaway!
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW

dezl_dr
Explorer
Explorer
2 years 30k most of that towing. Been perfect and by far the most powerful truck I've drove.
Pulled 20k over I-70 when it was new so it hasn't been babied.
2014 F-350 DRW, 2010 Elite Suites 38'

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
davidaf wrote:
blofgren wrote:

I'm very sorry to hear of your trouble. So to clarify, was it the pump that supplies the HPFP that failed? If so, it could have been that it was just a faulty pump and you are now good to go. I would be somewhat concerned about the HPFP being starved of fuel (and subsequent lubrication) and what damage may have been done to it as a result of this. Can anyone more in the know expand on this?

--snip--

That is correct. The low pressure pump that supplies the HPFP simply stopped doing its job correctly. I have the same concern re the HPFP being starved and any potential damage. Dealer wasn't concerned but I know their hands are tied.

I didn't expand on how ridiculous the second dealer was but I'll certainly never visit them again. They are not Ford corporate so I can't fault Ford but I did register a complaint with the local advocate and am working to be reimbursed for charges that I incurred due to their diagnosis and method of diagnosis.

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Any problems with YOUR 6.7 diesel f-350? That would seem like he wants owners opinions to me. Do you loose reading comprehension when you buy a Fiat? Look how many of you jumped on the wagon as always. Are Fiat owners insecure and have to jump on all Ford related threads?
Sorry but I had to have a little fun with this as so many of you derailed this thread.:B

When I was truck shopping almost 2 years ago I did extensive reading on all brands and was very thankful for anyone who took the time to post about known issues with a truck whether they were an owner or not. To not inform an owner of a potential serious problem with a truck they are considering is just downright not responsible and inconsiderate. The fellow in this thread with the 2015 that had the low pressure fuel pump issue is an example of someone who unfortunately did not know this ahead of his purchase.

And no I am not at all insecure about my purchase. I am simply trying to help out people like I was helped at the time of my research.

So I trust you will do the same when it comes to the other manufacturers? Can we expect to see your research and hear-say, conjecture, percentage of people with problems, comments, warts and all ,major defects, recall issues, etc on them when that question comes up? Because you are obviously an expert on it.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
bobandvicki wrote:
Have 2004 Ford F350 6.0L that has been a nightmare. Getting ready to get a 2015 F350 then saw that the 6.7 has had a lot of troubles. After my 6.0L troubles should I be leary. Want to hear from those with 2012-2015 F250/350s if you have had any problems. Thank you. Bob

Some folks *always* have excellent results with their choice of brand.

And, others continue to be "brand loyal" even after they've been "burned".

Over the years, there's been good, bad, and ugly - with/for Chevy/GMC, Ford, & Ram (diesel trucks).

My solution on "how to" decide - and make the best informed choice - is to spend time on the "brand specific" forums for all three -
OR - only the Ford forums if you prefer.
There's a couple of excellent forums for each brand of diesel trucks.

You won't find Ram or Chevy folks on Ford forums, and vice versa.

See what type of problems *owners* are reporting, how they are handled, down time, warranty coverage, etc...:@

Yes, I read about the "nightmares" of/for the 6.0 when I was looking for a new truck in 2005.
And, yes I did have a 1T Ford (6.9) diesel previously.
The problems I saw, made the decision (then) that there wouldn't be
another Ford.....at least in my immediate future.

Anyway, pay special attention to the "HELP" sections for postings by folks who need/want immediate advice & assistance.

Good luck with making an informed choice that *you* can be happy with...:C

~

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds