cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bottom step "porch"

pipers_family
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking for a design that I have visualized, but do not know if it exists. It would be slightly larger and slightly lower step than the lowest step of the RV's existing steps. The back side would attach to the lowest step on the out most side edges and go behind and under with something like a "c" clamp or shepherd hook design. This lowered and larger bottom step would then have adjusting feet on the front side to level it. Has anyone ever seen such a thing? I know we could do it, but I'd really just rather purchase one already made that would mount hopefully easily each time we camped. Sometimes that bottom step is just too high for some of our visitors.
14 REPLIES 14

Justaguy
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Stabilized with the ground.....

Found an exercise workout step, which is about 4" high, and much *longer/wider* than the trailer steps. Hard plastic - has short add-on legs for each corner which would make it about 6-8" high (Still very stable, but I never used those).

Just set it on the ground under the bottom step.
Check Wally or a sporting goods store.
Or - you could simply make your own (wood).

The Redi-step is fair - but 4-step folding permanent, (replacement for 3-step) are available from RV suppliers (and via Amazon) - for about $200.

There's also an inexpensive "stabilizer" which can be placed under a/the bottom step to stop flexing. Check RV suppliers.

~

Why didn't I think of that!!!???

I have been trying to figure out a good alternative to that dang $100 step. (it's not that I can't afford it but I just knew there had to be a better alternative)I read this about that aerobic step and I slapped my forehead! Duh!

We went to WalMart, got the $27 step, took it out to the fifth wheel and voila! Perfect! The exact height I needed and it has the extensions should I need it for either side. They're slip/skid resistant too! Genius! Thanks for putting that out.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
If your trailer came with a triple step, you may be able to simply remove it and replace it with a four step, such as these:

http://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Trailer-Parts/Lippert-Components/LC341504.html

Check to see if the overall width where they mount are the same, and that there is room for them to fold up.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like ependydad's comment we also have the added step at the bottom of the steps. My OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer is pretty high and this STEP fits the bill perfect. Most of the time just laying on the ground without the legs unfolded works for us.

Being the heavy duty grated type you can really stomp on it before entering the trailer keeping down the leaves and other woods items being tracked inside.

I did run one of those cable locks through one end of it to keep it from growing legs and wandering off... The cable lock also runs through my COLEMAN ROADTRIP GRILL which usually sits next to the trailer door when setup.

Got ours from AMAZON

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Pipeman wrote:
Go here to see an add a step

Not sure these guys are in business any more. Web site's still up, but the Contact Us page gives a server error. Phone number I found is no longer in service. Too bad, as I had interest, but have a question I want answered before I spend any money.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
SkiSmuggs wrote:
I bought one of those stabilizers but couldn't install easily due to uneven surface under the bottom step. Those workout step platforms look like a good solution.

If ground is uneven, you'll find that you want a step that you can adjust each leg on. It's expensive, but the RV Safety Step is really nice.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one of those stabilizers but couldn't install easily due to uneven surface under the bottom step. Those workout step platforms look like a good solution.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Stabilized with the ground.....

Found an exercise workout step, which is about 4" high, and much *longer/wider* than the trailer steps. Hard plastic - has short add-on legs for each corner which would make it about 6-8" high (Still very stable, but I never used those).

Just set it on the ground under the bottom step.
Check Wally or a sporting goods store.
Or - you could simply make your own (wood).

The Redi-step is fair - but 4-step folding permanent, (replacement for 3-step) are available from RV suppliers (and via Amazon) - for about $200.

There's also an inexpensive "stabilizer" which can be placed under a/the bottom step to stop flexing. Check RV suppliers.

~

pipers_family
Explorer
Explorer
That is very similar to what I was thinking. Thanks so much! I knew this was a common problem, so felt there were others who had tried their hand at a solution. I only wish the bottom step was stabilized with the ground and the arms going back over the bottom step were flat- afraid those upright arms might turn an ankle.

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Go here to see an add a step
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

pipers_family
Explorer
Explorer
I like the box idea with handle, that should be very sturdy, but was hoping for something a little more compact.

pipers_family
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your suggestions. We have one of the free standing platforms with adjustable legs, but it can move if the ground is not level and you step toward the tippy side. Anchoring it to the bottom step in some manner would take care of that concern. Sure hope someone can recall something like this and the mfg.

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
I built a frame out of treated 2x4's and slightly recessed some deck boards on the top with some gaps for water to flow thru. The frame perfectly holds a plastic grass type floor mat which keeps dirt out of the trailer. It's not very light but with the handle on the side, I just throw it in the back of the truck while traveling.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did a GOOGLE SEARCH for 'Bottom step porch RV'

when it loads up select IMAGES

lots of different views. Click on the one you like for more info...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
We have been using a plastic step of ours. But hope to build one before we leave for the Gulf Coast Dec 21. Will be a foot wider the the steps all around.
Pete
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans