cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bug preventer

Deraldjr
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to travel west for vacation in April. I am looking if there is any spray agent to coat front of RV to make it easier to remove bugs when they get stuck to fiberglass.
24 REPLIES 24

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
To add a lil humor here, there is one thing we've all missed (incl myself) on preventing bugs on nosecone. Don't pull the coach anywhere's!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
I do not wax the RV. I use Aerospace 303 Protectant applied with a long reach painter pole, with a brush head and a micro-fiber cloth covering the brush head.

After my seasonal (prior to traveling) wash of the rig with Meguiars Gold car wash, I coat the entire rig with 303; I do not wipe it dry. It gives a low gloss to all surfaces and "seems" to keep the decals healthy.

During the wash portion, after washing the nose cap normally, I use this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062W5TG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I leave it on for 3-5 minutes while using the aforementioned pole and wash brush scrubbing the surface. The bugs/bug sludge rinses right off.

Our halfway point seasonally is at around 3k mile. I hit the cap again with the bug cleaner and they come right off again.

The stuff works well for me.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

Fiver_Driver1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget that bugs also clog your radiator. On my second Alaska trip I fastened plastic door screen in front of the grill with plastic ties. I found that scrubbing bugs off the hood and front of the trailer every night was quite effective. I also used dryer sheets. For water I used a one-gallon plump-up insecticide sprayer.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Meguiars Wax and elbow grease. Why are you worried about bugs. Take it to Blue Beacon.

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
For me, a couple coats of Protectall, and x2 on the dryer sheets to clean off the bugs that do stick.

Old dryer sheet and a spray bottle with water and they come right off.

Then a little more Protectall to spiff it all up again.

RockyMt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thermoguy- I would like more info as the year progresses on that product, I have purchased some and would like to know how it works. I have just applied to my truck/car so far.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
I've used Pam cooking spray but it gets snotty when it is rained on. Also many years ago used Future floor wax. Didn't hurt anything.
Lots of wax.

Do not use a cooking spray if traveling in sunny hot weather like Florida. About 3 days in the hot Florida sun will bake the cooking spray to the front of your vehicle almost impossible to remove. I tried this years ago on the front of my brand new 1985 Z-28 during the late summer annual Love Bug festival and ended paying a detail shop over $200 to remove it.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
One thing that helps, that you donโ€™t see often these days....is a wing attached to the tow vehicle. There were some that were angle adjustable ....you adjusted until the โ€œbug-lineโ€ disappeared. Should help fuel mileage also. You rarely see a โ€œbig rigโ€ without one. A real practical solution....but not aesthetically appealing!

The air foils as they are called has been discussed a lot on here. Based on what I recall, they are not worth the investment unless you are doing A LOT of towing over long distances. Main response has already been said....."Moves the bug line higher". Unlike semi trailers, RV's have to some degree aerodynamics to them. A semi trailer is a square front regardless if it's a dry van or reefer. At least the reefer is somewhat rounded for aerodynamics. Thus, that's why tractors have airfoils on them in an effort to gain mpg's and easier to pull.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem with so many of the cleaners that actually work is that they strip the wax as well.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
One thing that helps, that you donโ€™t see often these days....is a wing attached to the tow vehicle. There were some that were angle adjustable ....you adjusted until the โ€œbug-lineโ€ disappeared. Should help fuel mileage also. You rarely see a โ€œbig rigโ€ without one. A real practical solution....but not aesthetically appealing!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Although a good coat of wax never hurts, Your going to have bugs stuck to it. Last summer, I used dryer sheets for the first time and was amazed. Try it - maybe you will be too.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works good for getting bugs off.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
I put Rejex on the nose a couple of times a year. I think it helps with removal. I also spray Bugs N All and let it set for a few minutes before washing. It does help with all but the most gutsy ones. I've been doing this for years and tried many things but still haven't found the perfect system. I always have to scrub some of them, especially the ones with the yellow guts.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
A couple coat's of good ole Turtle Wax is all I used and hot water takes the bugs off, washed it twice last summer on a trip up the Dempster and Alaska.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.